Olympics: Rumour: KHL following NHL,no KHL players either?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
According to Russian Sport-Express, KHL might boycot the olympics,because of the recent events
and the fact that Russian athletes at the winter olympics might be forced to compete the same way as IAAF accepted Russian athletes was forced to at 2017 IIAF World Championships this summer in London.

This is only a rumour.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
According to Russian Sport-Express, KHL might boycot the olympics,because of the recent events
and the fact that Russian athletes at the winter olympics might be forced to compete the same way as IAAF accepted Russian athletes was forced to at 2017 IIAF World Championships this summer in London.

This is only a rumour.
First, could you give us a source (in Russian)? Maybe it is just a translation mistake.
Second, I do not believe the KHL to boycot the Games.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
So I have just found something.... are you talking about Zhukov´s statement? He is the President of the Russian Olympic Committee. IOC will decide about a status of Russian athletes at Olympics. He said that ROC counts that IOC will allow Russian athletes to participate, that they will not compete under neutral flag, but under Russian.

This has nothing to do with the KHL. The league will allow their players to participate at Games. Btw, Fasel said that there is no threat to exclude Russian hockey team from Games.

https://rsport.ria.ru/olympic_games/20171103/1128154666.html

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So I have just found something.... are you talking about Zhukov´s statement? He is the President of the Russian Olympic Committee. IOC will decide about a status of Russian athletes at Olympics. He said that ROC counts that IOC will allow Russian athletes to participate, that they will not compete under neutral flag, but under Russian.

This has nothing to do with the KHL. The league will allow their players to participate at Games. Btw, Fasel said that there is no threat to exclude Russian hockey team from Games.

https://rsport.ria.ru/olympic_games/20171103/1128154666.html

http://www.eurosport.ru/ice-hockey/khl/2017-2018/story_sto6395513.shtml Here is one of the links

Actually, will be a good move. Why should the KHL care, if NHL doesn't care and IOC doesn't care as well? I bet, players will do what the league will tell them, they are getting big money after all.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
http://www.eurosport.ru/ice-hockey/khl/2017-2018/story_sto6395513.shtml Here is one of the links

Actually, will be a good move. Why should the KHL care, if NHL doesn't care and IOC doesn't care as well? I bet, players will do what the league will tell them, they are getting big money after all.
Thanks for the source.

Yes, the league can consider what they do if something (Russia not participating at Games) happens. But it does not mean they will decide not to go. Second, I do not trust Sport-Express, especially Shevchenko.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Nonsense rumor, the KHL players will go already for the sole reason that Russia has excellent chances to win.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Championat has mentioned it also.

They even have a statement from Tretiak:

"I have no plan 'B'."

Edit: I think I'm mistaken here, this is the statement regarding the possibility of punishing Team Russia, not KHL decision.

https://m.championat.com/news/sport/hockey/2944761/

Yes, all media have this info. Tretiak was in Novosibirsk today (they have anniversary, I believe 55 years or so), so media asked him what he thinks about Zhukov´s statement (for RSport, which is sport branch of RIA Novosti). He said, no plan B as you quoted. That is how media works (at least Russian hockey media), someone says A and journalists ask person B what he thinks about it. To give you en example, Russian Minister of Sport said that there is no parity in the KHL. All media have asked other persons what they think about the statement. The same here.

As I said, I do not trust Sport-Express. Yes, they have credible sources sometimes, but they (especially Shevchenko) are biased, they want to kick to the KHL in every opporunity they get. The same with Ovechkin´s "team".

The sad news is that all major Russian hockey websites have started to follow the NHL too closely this season.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, think the KHL will end up going to the Olympics. Still would be nice if all the hockey players in the Olympic tournament were "amateurs"

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Nah, if IOC forces them to play not as Russian team, but as IOC team, I bet players and the KHL will tell IOC f*** you. Hockey players don't care about money or the Olympics themselves, they care about playing for Russia. No Russia, no players, I think it's a very simple conception to understand.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Yeah, unlike other sports, hockey players don't rely on OG success for their careers.

There are sports where athletes prepare their entire life for one event and missing it kills their career. So as much as they might not like it, they are sometimes forced to go neutral.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russia should sue everybody responsible for the whole campaign against russian sports anyway.

That said, the should absolutely pull out of it and ban all other nations KHL players from participating. It's the least they can and should do.

I will be waiting for an apology from every single man involved in thus messy slander campaign. And I want them to work for food for the rest of their miserable liar lives donating their income to the athletes whose careers they damaged.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
On one hand, "powerful guys" do not have a power to force anybody to do anything anymore. On the other hand, they still have a few "our guys" in institutions like IOC. We will see.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Should've just made it an U20 event this go around.

You could do a U20 WJC in December/January and an U20 olympic tournament a few months later. There would be lots of good story lines coming out of the WJC and teams looking for redemption after losing out on world junior gold.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Weird mentality. The NHL being idiotic is no excuse for the KHL to be idiotic.

It's a silly rumor anyway.

Why was it stupid from the NHL standpoint? The league is a business enterprise, and IOC more and more looks like a business enterprise. And the latter enterprise wanted to earn money at the expense of the former one. It was a pretty obvious decision, there is nothing stupid in it.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Russia should sue everybody responsible for the whole campaign against russian sports anyway.

That said, the should absolutely pull out of it and ban all other nations KHL players from participating. It's the least they can and should do.

I will be waiting for an apology from every single man involved in thus messy slander campaign. And I want them to work for food for the rest of their miserable liar lives donating their income to the athletes whose careers they damaged.

Slander?

chartoftheday_5288_the_vast_extent_of_russia_s_state_sponsored_doping_scandal_n.jpg

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Why was it stupid from the NHL standpoint? The league is a business enterprise, and IOC more and more looks like a business enterprise. And the latter enterprise wanted to earn money at the expense of the former one. It was a pretty obvious decision, there is nothing stupid in it.
For the sport itself it is.

alce

Sep 29, 2017
Weird mentality. The NHL being idiotic is no excuse for the KHL to be idiotic.

It's a silly rumor anyway.

It's not rumor, it's misunderstanding of situation. KHL has no power to boycott anything. It was about FHR boycotting Olympic if team doesn't play under Russia flag. Which is also completely moot point as only individual sportsmen could play under Olympic flag anyway.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It is confirmed by the KHL,if no team Russia,no KHL players,at least thats what they are saying,
that what theyll do,they have given a official letter to IOC

Also KHL will reset the schedule, so that the KHL games will be played during the Olympics.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It's not rumor, it's misunderstanding of situation. KHL has no power to boycott anything. It was about FHR boycotting Olympic if team doesn't play under Russia flag. Which is also completely moot point as only individual sportsmen could play under Olympic flag anyway.

I disagree that KHL has no power to boycott the OG. Players are under contract with the league.

NT could still go to OG but it would be from other leagues.

alce

Sep 29, 2017
I disagree that KHL has no power to boycott the OG. Players are under contract with the league.

NT could still go to OG but it would be from other leagues.

But they literally have no power to do that. By the law all power is in hands of FHR. Yes, players are under contract with KHL, but KHL is under contract with FHR. They must release players for NT and accommodate schedule for needs of NT. Tretyak signs KHL schedule every year.

Профессиональная спортивная лига, указанная в части 8 настоящей статьи, обязана утверждать календарные планы проведения международных профессиональных спортивных соревнований на основании календарных планов спортивных мероприятий спортивных сборных команд Российской Федерации по соответствующим видам спорта,

http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_73038/6b9d180f01e659c666e02d63fd89292c6a704e6b/
http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_73038/ea5b5d07050aaa9b00d5fb74b5e4d8fe2cb0a9ec/

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

They just banned the skiier Legkov without evidence of a positive sample. If this is going to continue I believe Russia needs to excuse itself from the Olympic process altogether.

They can just go ahead and give US all the medals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad