Rumour: Blues and Sabres employees told to be ready to return to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I was reading the Gazette this morning and saw this in Pat Hickey's article. Unfortunately, you need to be a subscriber to get it online, but those from Montreal who get the Gazette can confirm this.

Basically the rumour comes from Petr Cjanek from the St. Louis Blues, who claims that the club's employees were told to be ready for a possible return.

He also states that the same thing is comming out of Buffalo.

Just a rumour but we can always hope....

Go Flames Go*

Of course there told to be ready for work, they cant sit there unprepared and all of sudden then players greedy side comes to a hault.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Go Flames Go said:
Of course there told to be ready for work, they cant sit there unprepared and all of sudden then players greedy side comes to a hault.

Don't forget the owner's just as greedy side. :teach:

Lanny MacDonald*

This makes very little sense. What would Cajanek know? He's playing for Zlin ZPS right now, so it is highly unlikely that he is in contact with anyone in St. Louis. Players would be making contacts through their agents. I think Hickey is blowing smoke.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The Iconoclast said:
This makes very little sense. What would Cajanek know? He's playing for Zlin ZPS right now, so it is highly unlikely that he is in contact with anyone in St. Louis. Players would be making contacts through their agents. I think Hickey is blowing smoke.

I think you might be the most pessimistic person I have ever seen on these boards. In every single post that has even a glimmer of hope for the season to be saved, you find some reason not to beleive it.

I bet if the season was saved tommorow you'd post something like "well there is going to be another lockout in 10 years anyways! This is meaningless!!"

Are you sure you're not a football fan or something?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Don't forget the owner's just as greedy side. :teach:

No they are not and that's the problem.

Currently owners are losing hundreds of millions every year, players are not losing a single cent.

Owners want a system where they are not making losses, players want a system where they can make as much profit as before.

Huge difference that the pro-PA people forget all the time.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
waffledave said:
I think you might be the most pessimistic person I have ever seen on these boards. In every single post that has even a glimmer of hope for the season to be saved, you find some reason not to beleive it.

I bet if the season was saved tommorow you'd post something like "well there is going to be another lockout in 10 years anyways! This is meaningless!!"

Loved your comment :yo:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Pepper said:

Currently owners are losing hundreds of millions every year, players are not losing a single cent.

Owners want a system where they are not making losses, players want a system where they can make as much profit as before.

Another guy who happily swallowed "Owner Cheerios" for breakfast!
:joker:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
PepNCheese said:
What in God's name are you talking about???

Far be it from me to speak for him, but I believe that he was referring to under the current system. The players are being overpaid compared to other sports, a point even the players recognize. The owners are losing . . . well, the depends on who you believe, a little or a lot under the current system. The players want things to remain as close to as it is as possible though they are apparently willing to move a small bit. The owners, and many here (not all but many) on these boards, and most fans, think that the owners are closer to right.

Lanny MacDonald*

waffledave said:

No, I'm just a realist. You have to look at all of this stuff with a skeptical eye, or you'll drive yourself insane. Take this story for instance. Does it make sense that a player in Europe would be in contact with the Blues office staff, in the middle of the season, in the middle of a lockout? Seriously, you have to apply some common sense to these things and take an even keel. Until someone says something that is verifiable and makes sense from both sides, it just isn't worth getting all worked up over it. I got a buddy that heard from his barber who cuts one of the Coyotes hair that the season is going to start next month. Do I get excited? Nope. I consider the source and try and verify it elsewhere.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
PepNCheese said:
What in God's name are you talking about???

What he wants to say is that the owners invest into their teams and get revenue back, while the players don't invest in their teams but get a salary.

If you don't invest you are not going to lose any money.

The comment wasn't directly about the lockout.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The Iconoclast said:
No, I'm just a realist. You have to look at all of this stuff with a skeptical eye, or you'll drive yourself insane. Take this story for instance. Does it make sense that a player in Europe would be in contact with the Blues office staff, in the middle of the season, in the middle of a lockout? Seriously, you have to apply some common sense to these things and take an even keel. Until someone says something that is verifiable and makes sense from both sides, it just isn't worth getting all worked up over it. I got a buddy that heard from his barber who cuts one of the Coyotes hair that the season is going to start next month. Do I get excited? Nope. I consider the source and try and verify it elsewhere.

I got a company tour of the Bell Centre from the head of Marketing for the Canadiens a few months back. I asked him if he was friends with any of the players and he said "Yes, of course" and that he gets to be chummy with many players because the visiting team gym is also the gym that is open to management.

So is it completely unbeleiveable that St Louis management is chummy with some of the players? It's not as if all the office staff are united in this lockout and refuse to socialize with players. They have suffered 20-40% cuts in salary as a result of this thing.

Why the hell would a player make something like this up?

Lanny MacDonald*

waffledave said:
I got a company tour of the Bell Centre from the head of Marketing for the Canadiens a few months back. I asked him if he was friends with any of the players and he said "Yes, of course" and that he gets to be chummy with many players because the visiting team gym is also the gym that is open to management.

So is it completely unbeleiveable that St Louis management is chummy with some of the players? It's not as if all the office staff are united in this lockout and refuse to socialize with players. They have suffered 20-40% cuts in salary as a result of this thing.

Why the hell would a player make something like this up?

Being chummy with a player is not unbelievable. Being chummy with a player who is playing in a completely different country seven time zones away IS a little unbelievable. Again, use some common sense. What are the odds of Cajanek being in touch with someone from the Blues offices when he's playing in Europe? Not good. What are the odds of a North American reporter getting the dirt on this from a no-name player who is over in Europe? Even less. So you put two and two together and you bet BS. If something seems to be highly unlikely, it usually is. In this case I think its BS. It is possible, but so is Big Foot settling this dispute and leading the successful bid for an expansion team to Walla Walla, Washington.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The Iconoclast said:
Being chummy with a player is not unbelievable. Being chummy with a player who is playing in a completely different country seven time zones away IS a little unbelievable. Again, use some common sense. What are the odds of Cajanek being in touch with someone from the Blues offices when he's playing in Europe? Not good. What are the odds of a North American reporter getting the dirt on this from a no-name player who is over in Europe? Even less. So you put two and two together and you bet BS. If something seems to be highly unlikely, it usually is. In this case I think its BS. It is possible, but so is Big Foot settling this dispute and leading the successful bid for an expansion team to Walla Walla, Washington.

It seems that Iconoclast is unaware of a certain 20th century innovation. Namely the long distance telephone call.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
The same thing was said about Calgary looking for people to work in the parking lots/concession stands for NHL games this season.

BTW, I question it being Cajanek, but I don't question that this is true. I think there will be something resolved.

BTW, I think the basic whole reason for the problems in negotiating is the this financial problem was caused by the owners over the years shelling out way too much just to get a player they want. Now the owners put the blame on the players and force them to sacrifice to correct the problem of the owners. I think if the owners just admitted that salaries got out of hand and that they made foolish signings to blow the league out of proportions and it was there fault and they need to work together to fix the stuff, that the PA would bargain with them as we saw feverous negotiating in 94

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I haven't heard a thing here in Buffalo about it. I think everyone is grasping at straws now...and with good reason. But I've resigned myself to the fact that we won't have a season. Now I'm just hoping we get one next year.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Epsilon said:
It seems that Iconoclast is unaware of a certain 20th century innovation. Namely the long distance telephone call.

Did he dial, 1-800-C-O-L-L-E-C-T

???

Lanny MacDonald*

Epsilon said:

Okay, you weight it out.

A less than objective journalist (Hickey is a well known BS artist) in Montreal hears a rumor that includes a middling player from St. Louis hearing that the league will start up in two weeks. Now the player has been in Europe playing all winter. What are the odds that Hickey is going to be interviewing a marginal player from the St. Louis Blues who happens to be playing for Zlin ZPS, yet has been in contact with the Blues front office staff (why?), to get the information suggested? Do the math.

Lanny MacDonald*

Rhett4 said:
I haven't heard a thing here in Buffalo about it. I think everyone is grasping at straws now...and with good reason. But I've resigned myself to the fact that we won't have a season. Now I'm just hoping we get one next year.

Nawww, you're on crack. Its obvious that the front office staff are in close contact with marginal players who are buried in Europe, seven time zones away, working behind the scenes to save the NHL season, in direct conflict with ownership's business needs. I mean it makes all the sense in the world.

:shakehead

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pepper said:

And the players aren't losing money?

Who keeps putting words in my mouth and call me pro-PA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad