Rumor: Rumour and Proposal Thread: Who retires?

Who retires?

• Mike Smith

Votes: 140 51.1%
  • Duncan Keith

Votes: 37 13.5%
  • No one

Votes: 109 39.8%
  • Cloned

Votes: 35 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Why would Keith retire if he gets hurt?
Smith is more likely to be on LTIR until Christmas Id think.
which rules are you talking about?
Smith has played through adversity much of his career. He will want to try. Look how competitive he was and excited with the stretch passes trying to give the team an edge. But even wooden headed Holland can see he was hurt for extended time, critical time. Who believes Smith has 16 wins in him in the playoffs --22 to 25 games? Skinner has played somewhat adequately but maybe can develop a bit at the NHL level. Do you think he can be a full time starter? Maybe he can be a NHL backup. We may end up with a 3 headed dog for a couple or three months.

Keith extremely competitive Keith knows he can't play at the level he used to. He is going to convince himself about leadership and experience and play for his 1.5 mil. But this high miler isn't a foolish man. Very likely he gets hurt trying to do what he once could. He is a high ankle sprain or a separated shoulder and some serious looking in the mirror....and saying this isn't worth it---from retiring. Especially if he is offered a role somewhere at that time.

• Haha
Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Hellybuck is available and the cost is a low 1st this year and another (should be low) pick next year, plus some cap going their way you do that no question.

The whole "you can win it all with wishy washy goaltending" thing is overblown.

The only teams to demonstrate this are Chicago and maybe Colorado, and both have Norris caliber studs in their 20s on their contender teams.

Unless the Oilers are finding a Makar or a 24 year old Keith, they can't do the "we don’t need a good goalie" thing.

The Oilers need more difference makers period in a playoff round period, guys who can be the difference between wins or losses at this point i don't even care about the position.

Hellybuck on the Oilers would probably net them an extra win per round if not two extra wins maybe even more.

The Colorado series is 2-2 after 4 games of Hellybuck is the Oilers goalie. Connor and Leon will be happy with that run support, I don’t think they care if its a goalie helping them get an extra win or two per round or a D or dominant 3rd line.

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If Hellybuck is available and the cost is a low 1st this year and another (should be low) pick next year, plus some cap going their way you do that no question.

The only teams to demonstrate this are Chicago and maybe Colorado, and both have Norris caliber studs in their 20s on their contender teams.
You absolutely pay that price. Some people are talking like 2 1sts, Bourgault and JP. Thats insanity.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

I agree with your points here but believe we will get trampled in the stampede.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Helly for Nuge + Foegele...

Who says No other than Nuge :)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree with your points here but believe we will get trampled in the stampede.

Hellybuck would give the Oilers probably an extra win minimum in every round. They would beat LA in 5 or 6 games instead of needing 7, the Colorado series is 2-2 instead of 0-4. Calgary series still probably is 5 but without needing so many goals to finish the job.

If that isn't the help we are looking for, what the f*** are we even trying to do?

A goalie like that can make each series so much easier for Connor and Leon because they don’t have to be lights out every game for a win.

This "bu bu but Colorado doesn’t have a stud in net!" is nonsense, they have Makar who may well be the best D of this decade. Kenny H gonna pull a Makar out of his ass any time soon?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
If Draisaitl and McDavid don't want to re-sign with 1 year left on their contracts you trade them . A team would get a year to try and sign them and the Oilers will get a boat load in returns to stay competitive for years .
I mean sure. But where I get stuck is if you can't go over the top with McDavid and Draisaitl, you probably won't go over the top with a bunch of lesser players and prospects.

I have a real love hate thing going right now where I feel like if we can't win a cup with these guys then they'll never be able to win one without the entire organization undergoing a complete philosophical change to how they build a franchise, so f***it all and go hard for the next 3/4 years.

But let's not get into that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You absolutely pay that price. Some people are talking like 2 1sts, Bourgault and JP. Thats insanity.
I would do two 1sts and Pulju but they would have to take some salary.

The Oilers 1st this year may as well be a 2nd and next year the aim should be to have an even later pick.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Hellybuck would give the Oilers probably an extra win minimum in every round. They would beat LA in 5 or 6 games instead of needing 7, the Colorado series is 2-2 instead of 0-4. Calgary series still probably is 5 but without needing so many goals to finish the job.

If that isn't the help we are looking for, what the f*** are we even trying to do?

A goalie like that can make each series so much easier for Connor and Leon because they don’t have to be lights out every game for a win.

This "bu bu but Colorado doesn’t have a stud in net!" is nonsense, they have Makar who may well be the best D of this decade. Kenny H gonna pull a Makar out of his ass any time soon?
I agree just saying other teams will overpay and we have seen what Holland will do with Markstrom. (No im not equating Helly to Markstrom).

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Unless the Oilers are finding a Makar or a 24 year old Keith, they can't do the "we don’t need a good goalie" thing.

The Oilers need more difference makers period in a playoff round period, guys who can be the difference between wins or losses at this point i don't even care about the position.

Hellybuck on the Oilers would probably net them an extra win per round if not two extra wins maybe even more.

The Colorado series is 2-2 after 4 games of Hellybuck is the Oilers goalie. Connor and Leon will be happy with that run support, I don’t think they care if its a goalie helping them get an extra win or two per round or a D or dominant 3rd line.
I would be shocked if anyone on here would be against trading this year's first and even a second next year for Hellebuyck. I'd be even more shocked if that price got him. Add JP and you might be closer. But they would ask for even more I suspect. I think the issue becomes the fact that he is only signed for two years so how much more needs to be carefully considered.

He is one of only a handful of goalies that I would be happy to see them pay a stiff price for.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would be shocked if anyone on here would be against trading this year's first and even a second next year for Hellebuyck. I'd be even more shocked if that price got him. Add JP and you might be closer. But they would ask for even more I suspect. I think the issue becomes the fact that he is only signed for two years so how much more needs to be carefully considered.

He is one of only a handful of goalies that I would be happy to see them pay a stiff price for.

I'd give up both this years 1st AND next years 1st which should also be a low pick.

And Puljujarvi. And then like a Foegele or Kassian to send out some salary.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Agreed here.

You can win with average goaltending, but there is no way the Oilers can, built as they are right now. Either they need to drastically bolster their blueline if they plan on having an average goaltender, or they need to hit a homerun in goal.

Based on what Stauffer and others have been saying, it seems the plan next year is to grow internally on the back-end. Which suggests to me that Holland will try to make something big happen in goal.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed here.

You can win with average goaltending, but there is no way the Oilers can, built as they are right now. Either they need to drastically bolster their blueline if they plan on having an average goaltender, or they need to hit a homerun in goal.

Based on what Stauffer and others have been saying, it seems the plan next year is to grow internally on the back-end. Which suggests to me that Holland will try to make something big happen in goal.

You need basically a Norris no.1 stud in his prime years who is basically a once in a decade type of D and then you need multiple decent D behind him. The Hawks had Keith and then Seabrook and Hjlarmasson and others.

The Avs have Makar and then guys like Toews and Manson behind him.

The Oilers are just never going to be built like that. In that case, yes you do need goaltending to win it all. More like Pittsburgh.

And even the Hawks really only won one of their Cups with an average goalie, Crawford was a legit no.1 All Star caliber goalie. Who knows if going cheap in net doesn't cost them 1 or 2 of their Cups.

Last edited:

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Contingent on Hellybuck playing like a Vezina goalie year after year
Not really.

Even if he gave us league average goaltending (and based on his history, that would be regression for him), we would still be a top 3 Pacific team in the regular season and well poised to do damage in the playoffs.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I would do two 1sts and Pulju but they would have to take some salary.

The Oilers 1st this year may as well be a 2nd and next year the aim should be to have an even later pick.
IMO they would have to retain AND take Kass. If they go full rebuild they'll struggle to hit the cap floor anyways.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
You act like Nurse wasn't injured. While Nurse is not on the same level as Makar, he was getting walked for 3 series due to injury. No way, no how is Nurse that weak defensively as we saw.
No, and I mean NO team had 2 forwards ripping teams apart like McDrai. Why is that suddenly a forgotten argument? They took apart 3 world class goalies.

PPL always tend to point the finger at the greener grass, like it's gospel

Truth is EDM took the AVS to task in 3 games. The difference was a slight upgrade in G and Nurse being unhealthy

Your argument is basically like claiming Kramer is a Karate champ cuz he fought minors

The gap some claim without context is beyond ridiculous in some posts

The Oilers do NOT need Makar, cuz the AVS do NOT have McDrai, not even close
I literally called Nurse a similar tier of player as Devon Toews when healthy. I'm very well aware of how good he is. The problem is he's all we have and the drop off after him is titanic. No offense to Ceci but he's just not that guy who can be a top pairing two way matchup monster. Teams that win championships usually have at least one of elite defense to make up for meh goaltending or elite goaltending to make up for meh defense. We have meh defense and meh to outright bad goaltending, at least one of those needs to change.

We do not need Makar but we DO need another Toews or Byram.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You need basically a Norris no.1 stud in his prime years who is basically a once in a decade type of D and then you need multiple decent D behind him. The Hawks had Keith and then Seabrook and Hjlarmasson and others.

The Avs have Makar and then guys like Toews and Manson behind him.

The Oilers are just never going to be built like that. In that case, yes you do need goaltending to win it all. More like Pittsburgh.

And even the Hawks really only won one of their Cups with an average goalie, Crawford was a legit no.1 All Star caliber goalie. Who knows if going cheap in net doesn't cost them 1 or 2 of their Cups.
Going back farther Osgood on those stacked teams won some cups, but how many more would they have had if they had a Brodeur, prime Hasek, Roy, etc.? We don't have the cap for another 1D so we should absolutely be going all in on a high end goalie if one becomes available.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Smith has played through adversity much of his career. He will want to try. Look how competitive he was and excited with the stretch passes trying to give the team an edge. But even wooden headed Holland can see he was hurt for extended time, critical time. Who believes Smith has 16 wins in him in the playoffs --22 to 25 games? Skinner has played somewhat adequately but maybe can develop a bit at the NHL level. Do you think he can be a full time starter? Maybe he can be a NHL backup. We may end up with a 3 headed dog for a couple or three months.

Keith extremely competitive Keith knows he can't play at the level he used to. He is going to convince himself about leadership and experience and play for his 1.5 mil. But this high miler isn't a foolish man. Very likely he gets hurt trying to do what he once could. He is a high ankle sprain or a separated shoulder and some serious looking in the mirror....and saying this isn't worth it---from retiring. Especially if he is offered a role somewhere at that time.
Smith has to pass a physical in camp I believe, there’s a lot of doubts on whether that will happen. Hence why it is more likely that he starts the year on LTIR.

you’re trying to claim that something that really never happens is “the most likely scenario“? Riiiight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad