Salary Cap: Rumors, thoughts, idea's, complaints - 2015/16 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Kunitz may have trade value. But not a lot in return. Just a salary dump to some degree. Dupuis LTIR and Scuderi sits until he can be eligible for a buyout. That clears about 9 million for 2016. Add in the cap room based on things right now of an estimated 74 million with approx 61 million in dedicated salary for next year and you have approx 22 million to work with. Yes FA market may not be compelling, but the room creates room for extensions, a FA signing on D as well.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think I've said this before. IMO, they need to play hardball with Scuderi. His contract sucks, but there are always teams near the cap floor that will take on contracts like his for a year or two. The problem is Scuderi's limited movement clause probably lists those teams as places he would not accept a trade to. Therefore the Penguins need to give him two options: waive the movement clause in his contract, or go to the AHL.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think I've said this before. IMO, they need to play hardball with Scuderi. His contract sucks, but there are always teams near the cap floor that will take on contracts like his for a year or two. The problem is Scuderi's limited movement clause probably lists those teams as places he would not accept a trade to. Therefore the Penguins need to give him two options: waive the movement clause in his contract, or go to the AHL.

Has it ever been confirmed that he can be sent to the AHL? If he can't be sent down, I'd let him know he was in the press box unless injuries and the cap get him playing time. No more talked up leadership bs and no more playing time. Maybe his pride gets him to let go of his list, idk, but at least I won't be watching him play.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U

What if the Pens put Scuderi's locker in the visitor's locker room? He benefits the opposition on most nights, at least this way he'd get the message.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If the pens lose tonight, is it over for Johnston?

Edit: Well if they lose tonight he should be fired. But what about tomorrow?

Rutherford cancelled his trip to the Board of Governor's meeting to join the team in Denver. If he was looking to make a trade, he'd be better off going to the BOG meeting to be around all the other GMs. Rutherford also just criticized his head coach publicly to the press.

Oh, and the press has clearly been primed to start talking about moving on from Johnston at this point.

Let's just say that it wouldn't shock me.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Unless Plotnikov shows he can take on a net presence role, you better be ready for a Kunitz extension if you trade PH.

No need to extend Kunitz. There are others who can be the front-of-the-net guy. It's a fairly easy role to fill, you just need a guy with balls the size of grapefruits. The world of hockey is littered with those.

I'm not against trading Hornqvist, but not before we get rid of Kunitz and/or Dupuis. That should be the first order of business up front. No forward should be gone before those two. I suspect at least Cullen might be gone before them if they aren't gone before season's end because Cullen might retire this summer (pure speculation on my part).

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013
:barf:

I mean, i get the Scott joke but this...

?
It's the "vote for the worst" mentality. I mean between the 3 on 3 and skills competition the hilarity factor of having a bunch of old unskilled guys competing is huge... (Either that or force him to sit out a game penalty to skip it...*dreams longingly*)

Again sadly only the top vote getter for each division counts though, and sadly there is no way us NHL anarchists are going to outvote the people voting for Ovechicken to get Scuderi in and the people in charge of selecting the remaining Allstars are probably not dumb enough to select someone like him to be a slow moving pylon in a 3 on 3 game.

Ah well...just keep the Jagr (who has stated he 100% wants no part of this thing) votes coming as he's still sitting at the top of his division.

--------

On a different note with Morehouse taking a break from all team duties to have heart surgery (rumor is he started to feel bad about running over Pens fans in his Ferrari. So he is having the rest of his heart removed to fix the problem.) What does that mean for potential trades? Does JR still have permission to make any moves, or can he make them without the permission of one of his bosses? For instance Morehouse has supposedly vetoed any possibility of any trades involving Letang...would JR now have the potential to sneak one by with him away provided Lemieux/Burkle would approve it?

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
No need to extend Kunitz. There are others who can be the front-of-the-net guy. It's a fairly easy role to fill, you just need a guy with balls the size of grapefruits. The world of hockey is littered with those.

I'm not against trading Hornqvist, but not before we get rid of Kunitz and/or Dupuis. That should be the first order of business up front. No forward should be gone before those two. I suspect at least Cullen might be gone before them if they aren't gone before season's end because Cullen might retire this summer (pure speculation on my part).

It took us years to find a player who excels in front of the net. Its a skill. Not many have it and the mindset necessary to do it game in game out.

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
I think they need to move Letang. Sure he is far and above our best D man but I believe a team like EDM would overpay for his services. Edmonton would never land a Defensemen of his caliber in UFA.

7.25 for a D that cannot run the powerplay and is not an elite shutdown defensemen is madness. Especially one that is injury prone. You cannot pay 7.25 for great intangibles when you are already paying Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Fleury.

Does losing Letang immediately make us less likely to win this year? Sure, but this year is already looking dim.

Get Crosby some solid wingers, play our young puck moving defensemen, and see what happens.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think they need to move Letang. Sure he is far and above our best D man but I believe a team like EDM would overpay for his services. Edmonton would never land a Defensemen of his caliber in UFA.

7.25 for a D that cannot run the powerplay and is not an elite shutdown defensemen is madness. Especially one that is injury prone. You cannot pay 7.25 for great intangibles when you are already paying Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Fleury.

Does losing Letang immediately make us less likely to win this year? Sure, but this year is already looking dim.

Get Crosby some solid wingers, play our young puck moving defensemen, and see what happens.

Trade Letang so we have to trade for a # 1 defenseman since we have none in our system and nobody even able to take the minutes in our line-up.

Good idea.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

We don't have any young PMD's anymore other than Pouliot. The time to move Letang passed when Martin, Niskanen, Despres, etc left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad