Rumor: Rumors & Proposals VIII: Somethings gotta give

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeathbyCheerios*

We need a skilled leader. More then anything. A guy who can be a captain, and can actually show up on the ice. Ference can say all he wants but when he ***** the bed most nights, he isn't benefiting the team, and the guys in the room probably don't listen because of it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
We need a skilled leader. More then anything. A guy who can be a captain, and can actually show up on the ice. Ference can say all he wants but when he ***** the bed most nights, he isn't benefiting the team, and the guys in the room probably don't listen because of it.

While that might be something the Oilers need I wouldn't say it's near the top of the list.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton

If this same guy you talk about is a bonafide number 1 defence man than yes I agree.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
What goaltenders are out there that the Oilers could make a pitch for?

Lehner? - I like
Reimer? - Meh
Backstrom? - Meh
Andersen? (Ducks) - I like

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
Ray Shero
Darcy Regier (AGM in Arizona)
Rick Dudley (AGM in Montreal)
Craig Patrick (Senior Advisor in Buffalo)

Norm Maciver who is the Chicago Blackhawks assistant GM. He has been with the organization for 8 years and has been assistant GM for 3 years. He is someone I would look at for sure.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Goaltending is not the issue here. Far from it.

Your opinion, not mine. It's one of about 15 issues in my books.

So, for anyone else who might think goaltending is an issue, I'd be interested in hearing who they think the Oilers could try and obtain.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Norm Maciver who is the Chicago Blackhawks assistant GM. He has been with the organization for 8 years and has been assistant GM for 3 years. He is someone I would look at for sure.

Plus he falls into the ex-Oiler category. If he was part of the 1990 cup run then he might be a shoe in as the next GM.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I think bringing in an outsider like Ference and naming him captain might have rubbed the dressing room the wrong way. The team was being groomed for the kids to be the leaders. I could see if it was a player like Weber coming in but what team names a bottom pairing defenceman captain without even playing a game for the organization first?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Maciver won a cup with Oilers with Lowe, MacT, Bucky as teammates.. He could be considered an "Old boy" despite his resume

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Maciver won a cup with Oilers with Lowe, MacT, Bucky as teammates.. He could be considered an "Old boy" despite his resume
you must win 3 or more cups with oil to join the obc. To me Gelinas, Graves, MacIver doesn't get that label.

Or part of first two cups

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Took a peak at the main boards, we're pretty popular these days...haha

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Took a peak at the main boards, we're pretty popular these days...haha

Lol at the Nylander vs Draisaitl poll.

"Draisaitl is looking more like a bust each day."

Good thing I've been staying out of the mainboards. Rip on oilers = ok. Posts praising oiler players = bashed upon.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Lol at the Nylander vs Draisaitl poll.

"Draisaitl is looking more like a bust each day."

Good thing I've been staying out of the mainboards. Rip on oilers = ok. Posts praising oiler players = bashed upon.
Draisaitl always has a slow first year in a new league then explodes the second.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
There are posts praising Oiler players? Wow

In the past, there was. But when it happens, there would be whining and moaning from other fanbases saying crap like "why is this mainboards worthy." Same people who comment on any oiler bashing and involved with it.

Draisaitl always has a slow first year in a new league then explodes the second.

Oh I know, its the "bust" comment that's laughable. Mainboards being mainboards.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Goaltending is not the issue here. Far from it.

Our goaltending hasn't been horrible but it has been subpar. To me you can either fix it by getting good defence or you can get a great goalie.

No reason we can't try both. right now our goaltending might not be the problem but it is far from being the solution.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012

100% agreethis team really needs someone to lead. Ference is not the guy. Hall isn't ready yet and has no one to mentor. When the team gets into a rut, no is there to ste up right now. Many of the close games in this skid could have been won, if a leader pushed this team. Usually a leader comes in the form of a bonafide #1D. All succesful teams have a true leader. This is the Oilers biggest need. Has been for years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
100% agreethis team really needs someone to lead. Ference is not the guy. Hall isn't ready yet and has no one to mentor. When the team gets into a rut, no is there to ste up right now. Many of the close games in this skid could have been won, if a leader pushed this team. Usually a leader comes in the form of a bonafide #1D. All succesful teams have a true leader. This is the Oilers biggest need. Has been for years.

It's almost as if they could use some kind of head "mentor" as it were. This "mentor" could be responsible for not only motivation and teaching but employment of their on-ice tactics as well (which makes a bigger difference than some dude giving a lecture in between periods). If only we had such a head "mentor" for our kids.

:sarcasm:

Seriously though they should have signed Jagr like 2-3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad