Hey there, where goes that turtleman?

p2kpqAv.jpg

--

Last thread hit 1k, can be found [HERE]

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The moment someone actually sees speedyturtle online, this board will crash.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
5.5x5 for Andersen seems like a pretty heft contract. He's a good goalie, but is he that good?

Edit: Contract is 5 mil for 5 years. That's better than I initially thought. Still quite a bit of money, but not as high as I thought it was.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I'd be perfectly happy with one major trade involving a true number one defenseman in return.

And

One major UFA signing such as Lucic or Okposo along with one moderate signing/trade to shore up the third line.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
And why not? Because we might magically be worse? Can't get much worse than last year although given its the Oilers they very well could.

No, it's because you'll be in the exact same place next year when they have to go out again and find another defenseman, only this time without the expendable asset.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for trading RNH. He's a mediocre and overrated player, and the contract was just another bad move by a GM who was clearly a disciple of the Daffy Duck method of contract negotiation, but you don't give up one of the few assets you have that is capable of addressing a problem long term on a probable short term fix.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
5.5x5 for Andersen seems like a pretty heft contract. He's a good goalie, but is he that good?

This is the part of the deal I think is bad for Leafs. The picks? meh its a 30th overall so low chance that works out

But the cap hit and NMC is the part that could bite them. Bernier got 5M after .922 on horrible Leafs team and looked mighty legit. If Anderson pulls a Scrivens/Fasth or evn Bernier that 5.5 could be a major head ache as soon as year 2

I think the contract was unncessary. I know hes an RFA, but is 5 years really justified? I mean people roasted Oilers for signing Talbot for only 3 years at 4ish mil half way through his first year here when he looked good. They atleast gave him a show me period. Andersen got no such thing

His stats arent even that amazing. In his only year over 50 games he posted .914 on a pretty good D unit. And his stats arent even that far off Berniers last 3 years...

I dont mind the picks given up, the contract is a risky one tho

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I like Talbot's contract even more as a comparable. I would assume that Bernier is now likely traded to either Calgary or Dallas.

If Toronto's sure, good on them I guess.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Really, really like what Chia has done for our goaltending situation compared to what has been done out there. Talbot looks legit, is signed for a nice contract and didn't cost a lot. That move looks better everyday.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Weird, weird move by Toronto.

Fortunately Bernier only cost them money pretty much as all the pieces they moved to LA essentially turned into an immovable Gaborik contract. They'll be lucky to get that 2nd back from Calgary. Calling it now...Wideman to Toronto.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
This is the part of the deal I think is bad for Leafs. The picks? meh its a 30th overall so low chance that works out

But the cap hit and NMC is the part that could bite them. Bernier got 5M after .922 on horrible Leafs team and looked mighty legit. If Anderson pulls a Scrivens/Fasth or evn Bernier that 5.5 could be a major head ache as soon as year 2

I think the contract was unncessary. I know hes an RFA, but is 5 years really justified? I mean people roasted Oilers for signing Talbot for only 3 years at 4ish mil half way through his first year here when he looked good. They atleast gave him a show me period. Andersen got no such thing

His stats arent even that amazing. In his only year over 50 games he posted .914 on a pretty good D unit. And his stats arent even that far off Berniers last 3 years...

I dont mind the picks given up, the contract is a risky one tho

Not to mention that they're currently spending over $9M on goalies this season... I mean, I presume they'll try to trade Bernier off and it's not like the Leafs are going to be contenders this year, but if the Leafs are still in the Stamkos sweepstakes (which I can only assume they are) this situation will impact that until they can find a way to offload Bernier.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not to mention that they're currently spending over $9M on goalies this season... I mean, I presume they'll try to trade Bernier off and it's not like the Leafs are going to be contenders this year, but if the Leafs are still in the Stamkos sweepstakes (which I can only assume they are) this situation will impact that until they can find a way to offload Bernier.

For the right price - think Korpikoski and a 3rd - I'd be ok taking a swing at Bernier for a year.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
For the right price - think Korpikoski and a 3rd - I'd be ok taking a swing at Bernier for a year.

I mean, sure, Bernier would probably be a pretty nice backup, but he's packing a pretty huge cap hit for a backup, even if it's only for this season... I think I'd honestly prefer throwing Reimer a cheap deal if we want an ex-Leafs goalie as a backup. Offloading Korpikoski helps a little but is immediately offset by Bernier's hit, so I feel like us being the ones to add a 3rd is paying the Leafs too well for a $4M goalie who is looking less and less like a starter.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
belair said:
Veering away from the big fish talk.

What about Zack Redmond as a 6/7 RHD option?

http://becauseoilers.blogspot.ca/201...ch-6-zach.html

Similar to the Mark Pysyk, here's a guy who comes out with favorable possession numbers on a team that gets absolutely killed in Corsi, but gets held to 37 games. He even put up a few points last season. He's bit of a journeyman and he's got a pretty good backstory. Though he's not the most physical he can still throw his weight around. Is he worth a 1-way contract?

Bumping this from the last thread.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id be open to dealing for Bernier. If you could do a Fayne for Bernier straight up swap, maybe even get a pick, id be all for it

Last 20 or so games this season Bernier was up around .920 behind Leafs horrible D core. He was looking like the guy he was 2 years prior. I think Bernier could bounce back and become a tremendous back up option, maybe even push Talbot for #1 if he excels.

If he could bounce back and provide us with 20-25 good games, we would be solid in goalie for all 82 games. And the upgrade in cap is a couple hundred thousand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad