Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Will Evander Kane Once Again be Our Biggest Addition Around the Trade Deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Since Kane probably won't be back until feb/march, they should just Kucharov him on the LTIR and go into the playoffs with a team way over the salary cap.

Since it would be Edmonton doing it instead of Tampa Bay, they'll reverse course on their previous stance and change the LTIR rules in the offseason like everyone wants instead of just letting it slide.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
@McDNicks17 I would just stick with our current roster than pay to acquire someone like Ritchie. In the short term it’s probably a negligible difference and just hampers your flexibility in the longer term / near the deadline.

Reactions: belair

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
A healthy Evander Kane would be a huge addition heading into the trade deadline, but will he be the biggest addition, or do we go all in for an even bigger name?
If Hollands tells us Kane returning is the trade deadline acquisition, that's pretty pathetic.

Every other contending team would put him LTIR until the playoffs and use his salary for good rentals.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Since Kane probably won't be back until feb/march, they should just Kucharov him on the LTIR and go into the playoffs with a team way over the salary cap.

Since it would be Edmonton doing it instead of Tampa Bay, they'll reverse course on their previous stance and change the LTIR rules in the offseason like everyone wants instead of just letting it slide.
Timeline won’t allow for it unless you “stretch out” his healing time, and then your delaying his return by another month. Might need him for that month to make a certain play off matchup. Dont f*** with the rules is my take.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
@McDNicks17 I would just stick with our current roster than pay to acquire someone like Ritchie. In the short term it’s probably a negligible difference and just hampers your flexibility in the longer term / near the deadline.

It wouldn't be hard to recoup most of what you trade for him by trading him or Pulju at the deadline.

I don't think the difference would be negligible. The RW options are way too ass to force Hyman back to LW. Just keeping at least one of Pulju and Yamo out of the top6 would be worth it.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Sources tell me that the NHL has told the Edmonton Oilers will have to relinquish their 2023 3rd round pick to the Calgary Flames for trying to pull a Tampa.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
It wouldn't be hard to recoup most of what you trade for him by trading him or Pulju at the deadline.

I don't think the difference would be negligible. The RW options are way too ass to force Hyman back to LW. Just keeping at least one of Pulju and Yamo out of the top6 would be worth it.
Spending on Ritchie is still a loss of assets even if you’re recouping it later. Honestly at that point I’d rather just try Holloway in the top 6 and that way Yamo can stay on the third line. Maybe if he falters, then you look for external options.

Edit - looks like Stauffer agrees

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Spending on Ritchie is still a loss of assets even if you’re recouping it later. Honestly at that point I’d rather just try Holloway in the top 6 and that way Yamo can stay on the third line. Maybe if he falters, then you look for external options.

I'll be very surprised if Holloway starts on the 2nd line and gets a regular shift. When Kane got injured, Yamamoto is the one that went from the dog house(barely playing after that penalty in Washington) to getting a regular shift, while the rookie stayed at 6 mins of ice time.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Like the look of Bob’s lines except Shore out, Ryan at C and give Kostin a shot. They could use his truculence with Kane out

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Am I missing something with Nick Ritchie? Is he suddenly not a marshmallow?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Hollands tells us Kane returning is the trade deadline acquisition, that's pretty pathetic.

Every other contending team would put him LTIR until the playoffs and use his salary for good rentals.
I agree, but maybe we don't want that. It may take Kane time to get back in the swing of things. It also might be difficult to justify extending Kane's LTIR when the injury is so straightforward. The injuries that have extended time on the LTIR are ones where the doctor's analysis is mostly based on what the player claims they feel like. With Kane's injury, it's very observable.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

If he comes back in the better case scenario, which is three months, that gives him more than two months before the end of the regular season. Way too long to leave on LTIR. Couple of weeks, for sure, but not a couple of months. Player wouldn’t go for it either. Need to wait and see how he heals.

Reactions: brentashton

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like Mike Reilly and his underlying on ice stats are decent as well. His relative expected GF% was +4.19 at 5v5 over the past 3 seasons and he had an on-ice PDO of 98.2% at 5v5 ... which to me says he was doing his job out there defensively... just didn't get a very high on ice shooting percentage from his teammates (7.0%) and a save pct of 91.2% was subaverage goaltending as well at 5v5.

Does the team want another $3 million cap hit LD though... signed for next season as well?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Nice thing about picking a vet dman off waivers is that they have value as the deadline approaches... and you'd very likely have zero problem trading him for at least a middling pick to a team with injury issues on D that's looking for a vet dman as they make a playoff push... or head into the playoffs. Another option is you could trade that dman (or another on your roster) for a forward piece (say if the Oilers are still weak on the right side come trade deadline time).

If someone told me this summer that you can have Mike Reilly for zero assets except that $3 million cap hit for 2 years... I'd say yup... decent deal... because he's basically a slightly better Kulak imo.... except Reilly is only on the books for 2 years instead of 4 for Kulak.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Am I missing something with Nick Ritchie? Is he suddenly not a marshmallow?

He’s just one of the few top6ish guys that might be available right now because Arizona.

He plays somewhat like Kane and has one more point than Pulju, Yamo and Foegele combined.

Cheap enough to run a 23 man roster too.

Could do worse with a rental.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I like Mike Reilly and his underlying on ice stats are decent as well. His relative expected GF% was +4.19 at 5v5 over the past 3 seasons and he had an on-ice PDO of 98.2% at 5v5 ... which to me says he was doing his job out there defensively... just didn't get a very high on ice shooting percentage from his teammates (7.0%) and a save pct of 91.2% was subaverage goaltending as well at 5v5.

Does the team want another $3 million cap hit LD though... signed for next season as well?

Yearly GA/60 5x5 is upper 2 and 3. We have enough puck movers, this won’t fix our defense issues. We need someone at 2LD to defend the crease, break up cycles and make tough plays to win and retain possession.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Why is it that everyone across HF thinks Barrie is a pure cap dump? He's no shutdown defender but its not like he bleeds goals against when he is on the ice. How for example does John Klingberg merit $7M and have significant value if Barrie is a cap dump.

Since joining the Oilers Barrie is 10th in scoring by defensemen with 98 points in 143 games. Klingberg is 14th with 90 in 141. ES Barrie has 47 points Klingberg has 50. Barrie is +12 and Klingberg is -50. Barrie is 31, Klingberg is 30. Kingberg has played marginally more against top competition but has also fared more poorly than Barrie in that regard.

Frankly, if you factor in contracts, I'd take Barrie over Klingberg anyday.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He’s just one of the few top6ish guys that might be available right now because Arizona.

He plays somewhat like Kane and has one more point than Pulju, Yamo and Foegele combined.

Cheap enough to run a 23 man roster too.

Could do worse with a rental.
He has five goals in an unsustainable stretch of hockey where he's shooting 35%. I prefer to use what we already have and use that $2.5m for someone of greater impact further down the road.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He has five goals in an unsustainable stretch of hockey where he's shooting 35%. I prefer to use what we already have and use that $2.5m for someone of greater impact further down the road.
You can’t really use that $2.5M on someone with greater impact though because they’ll need to be off the roster when Kane returns.

I only bring up Ritchie because you could probably trade for him now and then move him by the deadline and recoup most of what you gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad