Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Time For Holland to Awaken From His Slumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Just no Guentzel. That has big mistake written all over it.

You’ve got your work cut out for you explaining how Guentzel would be a big mistake. PPG in the playoffs (34 goals in 58 games). Over the last 6 seasons has 385 points in 381 games (181 goals). The guy just knows how to find open ice. And he has a cup ring. And he’s still in his prime. I don’t think there’s a better player available this deadline. If you have to trade multiple 1sts plus prospects you do it and don’t think twice.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You’ve got your work cut out for you explaining how Guentzel would be a big mistake. PPG in the playoffs (34 goals in 58 games). Over the last 6 seasons has 385 points in 381 games (181 goals). The guy just knows how to find open ice. And he has a cup ring. And he’s still in his prime. I don’t think there’s a better player available this deadline. If you have to trade multiple 1sts plus prospects you do it and don’t think twice.
The concern with Guentzal is he’s basically never played away from Crosby. Like literally never lol. It’s tough to know how he’d look on a different team or different line when he’s literally never done it before.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
The concern with Guentzal is he’s basically never played away from Crosby. Like literally never lol. It’s tough to know how he’d look on a different team or different line when he’s literally never done it before.
Mcdavid isn't a playmaker as well??

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Mcdavid isn't a playmaker as well??

Of course he is. He’s a better offensive player than Crosby ever has been. But certainly you could see how there might be a risk taking on a guy who has played exclusively with one player his entire career, never having seen him centered by anyone else.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t work out. But we just don’t k own what Guentzal would like like with a different centre. Especially when they play such different styles.

Reactions: Jarvi

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
McDavid and Crosby are entirely different players though who play very very different.
Ofcourse, what's the point? Don't we want a top six RWer? Toffoli would fit as well.

Of course he is. He’s a better offensive player than Crosby ever has been. But certainly you could see how there might be a risk taking on a guy who has played exclusively with one player his entire career, never having seen him centered by anyone else.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t work out. But we just don’t k own what Guentzal would like like with a different centre. Especially when they play such different styles.
There is always risk, look no further than Connor Brown. But of the available forwards I think you minimize the risk taking the BPA. Costs more but this is our window, either you go for it or don't.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Especially considering there's only 20 games to gel. If there was a way to keep Guentzel next season, I'd be all in on him.

I'd still be pumped if they got him though.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ofcourse, what's the point? Don't we want a top six RWer? Toffoli would fit as well.
I think the only concern is the price for Guentzel is high high and the risk is him not having chemistry elsewhere.

Over the last few 3 seasons 5v5 he has spent an average of 2 minutes a game away from Crosby and his numbers away from him go from really good to bad.

I wouldn’t hate getting him. But I believe for the money and assets you can probably get 2 middle 6 forwards that together will help the team more.

Guentzel is also ANOTHER left shot left wing, when what we are really needing is a right shot right wing.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Guy can play with elites. But he's going to be too expensive for a UFA one and done player. If/when Tofoli goes on the market, there's a right handed finisher who can score from mid-range and in tight. Some potential to re-sign as a guy that's played in three Canadian markets. Solid EV goal scorer too.

Reactions: McTedi

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Especially considering there's only 20 games to gel. If there was a way to keep Guentzel next season, I'd be all in on him.

I'd still be pumped if they got him though.
There is absolutely no way Guentzel fits into plans long term, purely a rental. Even if they got Buchnevich it would be for 2 years, likely costing more because of extra term. Most of you are on here trying to eat your cake and have it too. The Oilers are looking for rental players for a playoff push.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad