Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The PTO & Bargain Bin Special Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
With all the smoke around Virtanan one would think he'll be signing an actual contract. I think he'd probably have signed a PTO by now if thats all it was going to be.
yes I don't really get it, aside from the fact that there's no real deadline on him signing.

Even if he signs a PTO with us, Calgary could just Versteeg us again.

I also don't get it really. Most people think he can play, especially at some no-risk deal around league minimum. If you are willing to go out on a limb and give him a chance, why risk bringing him in, playing well, and someone else nabbing him?

Reactions: Oilhawks

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Is there anything to the Yakupov discussions? Or just for shits and giggles?

Yeah, he's currently checking out Taylor Hall's new renovated home here. My friend's classmate heard it from their uncle who heard it from a guy who's a Yak expert said so.

Kidding aside, I don't see anything regarding an NHL return with Yakupov.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
All I've seen is people pointing out that Yakupov outperformed Virtanen in the KHL last year. All it takes is some wannabe insiders giving it legs.

Apartial list of players who outscored Jake Virtanen (0.44 pts/gp) in the KHL last year:
Markus Granlund: 0.93 Taylor Beck: 0.90 Jori Lehtera: 0.87 Ryan Spooner: 0.76 Anton Slepyshev: 0.71 Nail Yakupov: 0.60 Teemu Hartikainen: 0.59 Josh Currie: 0.54

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Apartial list of players who outscored Jake Virtanen (0.44 pts/gp) in the KHL last year:
Markus Granlund: 0.93 Taylor Beck: 0.90 Jori Lehtera: 0.87 Ryan Spooner: 0.76 Anton Slepyshev: 0.71 Nail Yakupov: 0.60 Teemu Hartikainen: 0.59 Josh Currie: 0.54

Yeah there's no end to the KHL comparisons that can be made. Obviously the team that takes a chance on him banks on last season being a write off for him.
KHL stats have so much randomness to them though. Look at Koskinen's numbers before arriving in Edmonton.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Does the genius Willis know how old those players are and how old Virtanen is?... not to mention his recent NHL seasons where he increased his goal and point totals until last season?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Does the genius Willis know how old those players are and how old Virtanen is?... not to mention his recent NHL seasons where he increased his goal and point totals until last season?
Until 2 seasons ago. He had 3 decent seasons and then 2 abysmal seasons. It’s not like he is super young either, he is 26, he was drafted the same year as Drai. He’s a worse Foegele. Hell he has arguably had a worse career than Perlini

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah there's no end to the KHL comparisons that can be made. Obviously the team that takes a chance on him banks on last season being a write off for him.
KHL stats have so much randomness to them though. Look at Koskinen's numbers before arriving in Edmonton.
The KHL is a much worse league than the NHL. That’s why guys like Koskinen and Lander have had a ton of success.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
What I find funny is that not every guy goes to the KHL to go rip it up. He had to go there. People think he was happy? He knew he would get a shot or PTO somewhere in the NHL again.

People talk like he went there and tried to play balls to the wall. This might not be a good look either, but he probably wasn't into it at all. Probably stressed about what was going on, etc.

Those other guys he is talking about need their careers there because they are not coming back to the nhl. Jake went there to try to stay in shape, etc. Not go win whatever cup they have there lol

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
@XXIV97

Other thread got locked before I could reply. The P. Kane quote you posted was pretty funny and quite obvious it was fabricated...almost like that "I'm Danny f***ing Heatley. I'm an all-star" voice over from years ago, which is still pretty funny.

Reactions: XXIV97

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

How much ice time did they get in comparison to Virtanen? Did Virtanen get powerplay time? Who did he play with? Was he even in shape after barely playing the year before and the tumultuous summer he had? How many others on that list were in the process of their lives being torn down by serious criminal charges and accusations? Not really making a defense of Virtanen, it's just that listing off guys who have been playing in the KHL for years, have established roles, and more stable lives and saying "oh look, these sh*t former NHL players outscored this guy" isn't much of an argument.

Everyone knows Virtanen has fallen off the face of the earth as an effective hockey player, the PTO he signs(no matter the team) is entirely a last shot thing where teams are looking at someone who once had decent potential and are thinking "maybe it's still there, no reason not to try".

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Would be so much better if we were talking Kessel and what he’ll bring to our 3rd line right now than talking about Virtanen.

Off season started off with a lot of promise but ended up being like most others.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yessssss. No Virtanen to Edmonton. Thank you spec!!!

Spector is not as connected as he thinks he is (and also not as clever, a good judgement of hockey ability etc etc).

But then again, Gazzola and Nielsen said it was likely he comes here, and things seem to go the opposite of what they say so who knows?

All I know is they better f***ing bring a RW that can somewhat push those two overrated RW they have pencilled into the top 6.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Probably Cowgary

I could see it, Treliving hasn’t done his pathetic “I outbid the Oilers on someone they’re interested in” shtick in a while.

Virtanen with the Flames: <20 points and bounces to another team next season

Virtanen with the Oilers: shocks the hockey world, putting up 20+ goals and looking like a sure bet power forward entering his prime. Is handsomely rewarded next season (in that case, hopefully not here).

No one can really accuse the guy of being smart so I can see him going with the worse option in the Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad