Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Murray = Depth D, Do We Add Depth Up Front?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How does signing virtanen to a two year deal relate to not signing a goalie or D man
Because it's still money being committed to a player they seem worthy of the salary. Had they not seen the value in the player, they could have very easily chosen not to qualify him and it would've opened up an additional $2m+ to potentially re-sign one of their Impending UFAs.

They were minimizing their payroll because of COVID. Them paying Virtanen meant they still saw value in the player. And why wouldn't they? He was coming off of a season very similar to the one Puljujarvi just had in terms of offensive production.

Reactions: Biltmore and jeffff

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So. Negative value player, a literally nothing player in Virtanen and a late pick is worth more than Pulju? LOL
Based on their careers to date, an average season from each of these players is pretty damn similar. So yes, two of them and the pick would probably be better than one minus a pick.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Based on their careers to date, an average season from each of these players is pretty damn similar. So yes, two of them and the pick would probably be better than one minus a pick.
First of all, it’s a false equivalency, because you can sign Virtanen regardless of whether you trade Foegele or Puljujarvi.

So really it comes down to whether you think the mid round pick is worth spending to gamble on Puljujarvi’s upside.

Given the fact that Pulju is younger, has better advanced stats and has only been getting better with more time in the league, as well as the fact that mid round picks don’t have a high average ROI, I would say most would rather keep him.

Reactions: dontknow

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
bro if Foegele was an effective bottom sixer then we would have no issue moving him, guy is an anchor and its not like there is a long lineup for Virts signature either, the guy is getting PTO offers from two teams desperate for anything

both are no better than Archibald
The only reason for Warren Foegele's negative market value is the fact that he carries an additional year of term on his contract. This is a standstill market because the majority of teams in the league are at their cap limit or above it.

If Puljujarvi had additional term at his current salary, it would be harder to find value on a return.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I've watched this guy look like a big ol' pile of kaka on the ice way too many times to be even a little enthusiastic about this move.

Reactions: oilers'72

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The biggest bonus to signing a RW like Virtanen is Ryan can slide back over to center and we don't have to watch Shore play regular minutes at #4C.
Shore could play in Bakersfield. Along with Ryan, Foegele and Koekkoek. You can have an unlimited roster in the AHL.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010

wtf-is-that-confused.gif

Reactions: soothsayer

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It'd be a crying shame if Foegele came down with long term can't-play-this-season-itis in his 1st game of the pre-season.

Would instantly fix all the issues around having to trade players and having to go with a 21 player roster to start the season.

I know one thing for certain... a team like Tampa Bay or Vegas would come up with "creative" ways of using LTIR instead of having to be forced to trade useful assets away in the immediate/short term.

Reactions: Biltmore and Duke74

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Seen an off-HF boards interesting comment about Virtanen. And that comment was what if Travis Green was holding him back in his development and Woody builds his confidence back up and becomes a player.

Sometimes a player will blossom under a new team.
Virtanen though? That's also a question mark ASSUMING he comes here.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Barrie + Puljujarvi for Zub + Formenton... then sign Virtanen

Yay or Nay?

Kane-McD-Hyman
Formenton-Drai-Yamo
Foegele-RNH-Virtanen
Janmark-McLeod-Ryan
Shore/Holloway

or

Kane-McD-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Yamo
Formenton-McLeod-Virtanen
Janmark-Ryan-Foegele
Shore/Holloway

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Zub
Murray-Bouchard
Broberg

Campbell
Skinner

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It'd be a crying shame if Foegele came down with long term can't-play-this-season-itis in his 1st game of the pre-season.

Would instantly fix all the issues around having to trade players and having to go with a 21 player roster to start the season.

I know one thing for certain... a team like Tampa Bay or Vegas would come up with "creative" ways of using LTIR instead of having to be forced to trade useful assets away in the immediate/short term.
Foegele could have helped his cause if he didn't try to carry the puck over the offensive blueline and played the dump and chase game with his great speed and big frame. Could have exposed defenses and become a fan favorite.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Guys all these quotes are fake. There's a thing on hockey twitter where people make up of stuff for shit and giggles.
Well I guess I'm a sucker then. I don't listen to podcasts and radio shows of any type so when someone posts a tweet about something said on one of these podcasts or radio spots, I tend to believe it was said. Most times what was said was misinterpreted, not flat out made up.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Well I guess I'm a sucker then. I don't listen to podcasts and radio shows of any type so when someone posts a tweet about something said on one of these podcasts or radio spots, I tend to believe it was said. Most times what was said was misinterpreted, not flat out made up.
Most quotes are true, but there are select accounts that make stuff up. For example, OilersAnalytics posted this as well:

They do it since it gets them popular if they are good quotes like that one

Reactions: oilers'72

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Most quotes are true, but there are select accounts that make stuff up. For example, OilersAnalytics posted this as well:

I don't think anybody should that person as a source anymore.
Any time I've seen that person tweeting about moves regarding the Oilers during this off season, it ends up being wrong.
Just seems like another wanna-be insider that has no actual sources other than stealing it from actual insiders or throwing shit at the wall hoping it sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad