Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Is It Hockey Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Last Thread Hit 1k.

Continue Here.

Any hypothetical proposal for Weber would have to include at least 5 million dollars moving out of Edmonton.

The Oilers have around 2.8 in cap space and Weber's contract is about 7.8.

Acquiring Weber would all but seal the deal on one of Hall/RNH/Ebs being shipped out of town.

I tend to agree.

There's no question Weber is better than Seabrook, one of the few RHD I think are clearly better. Trading Nugent-Hopkins and something for Weber creates a hole to address a hole, and I know people here are fond of counting their chickens with Draisaitl, but your top-two centres can't be an 18 year old rookie and a 20 year old sort-of sophomore.

Doesn't matter. Weber won't be moved.

Like someone said earlier Tomas Fleischmann is still available. #2C hole is a lot easier to fill than a #1D hole especially when Draisaitl is coming down the pipe line in a couple yrs.

For Weber I would be willing to trade Nurse + Draisaitl + Caleb Jones\pick without thinking twice. He is going to cost a lot if ever put on the market but EDM certainly has a lot of quality trade chips.

Well, that deal doesn't work cap-wise for the Oilers and I think they'll want something with NHL experience. Also think they'll do better than that from other teams. I was thinking more like RNH and a first round pick myself.

Thomas Fleischmann is not a top-six player or anything close to it at this stage. Not sure he'll even play.

Value wise this trade might be close, but practically speaking it would never work because the Oilers's cap wouldn't allow it. I'm in agreement with ChaoticOrange: Any trade for Weber would likely include one of Hall, RNH, or Eberle. You could imagine a trade where something like Yakupov+Draisaitl+Fayne/Schultz would work salary wise, but I'm not sure that it would grease the wheels of Nashville's GM. The Oilers do have a lot of valuable trade pieces; it would just be a matter of finding the right combination that works salary wise. Oh, and it would have to be remotely realistic that Weber is on the block, which is just a fantasy. But there's no harm in speculating!

At this stage in his career, I'm not interested in Weber for the cost both in terms of assets going to Nashville and his cap hit.

I'm still in favour of a Nurse for Shattenkirk type swap. But most people around here I think hate that idea.

When was the last time Fleischmann actually played center? He's been playing as a winger for years now. I think you'd be looking at Roy if you wanted to sign a vet C at this point.

Oilers have a little less than 5.5 in cap space. Generalfanager has them with 2.8 but that's with 3 players too many on their roster.

Gryba is McQuaid

If the Preds want RNH for Weber you make that deal in a heartbeat. This isn't about the team next season its about the team in 2-5years from now and what gives them the best chance to win. To me adding Weber makes us an almost lock to win a cup.

Team in 2-3 years:

Pouliot-Mcdavid-Eberle
Hall-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Korpikoski-Lander-?
?-?-?

Sekera-Weber
Klefbom-Fayne
Nurse-Reinhart
?

Talbot
?

But it does not include bonuses and McDavid is close to a lock to earn his full bonuses if he does not get hurt. Moreover, depending on who makes the team they may exceed the allowable bonus cushion so part of his bonus may become hard cap money anyway.

If need be they could clear space quickly though.

I think Nurse is at least a Shattenkirk in 3-4 years. I dont overvalue guys often, but i think Nurse has the potential to be a top flight NHL All Star DMan. Please, lets not trade him as hes going to be a force once he matures and gets stronger.

Having put close to eight hours combined into three articles about the future cap situation, I can say without much doubt we can't add 8 million in committed salary for, what, 8 more years? without moving some out.

Unless you'd like an entire bottom six,bottom 4 defence, and both goalies on ELC's or league min in three years.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If the Preds want RNH for Weber you make that deal in a heartbeat. This isn't about the team next season its about the team in 2-5years from now and what gives them the best chance to win. To me adding Weber makes us an almost lock to win a cup.

Team in 2-3 years:

Pouliot-Mcdavid-Eberle
Hall-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Korpikoski-Lander-?
?-?-?

Sekera-Weber
Klefbom-Fayne
Nurse-Reinhart
?

Talbot
?

As someone mentioned trading Nuge creates a big hole.

I agree the team improves hypothetically, especially down the road.

But. We are ignoring reality.

Nuge is our best centre now without question. Closest thing we have to a legit #1 center and could well take the next step and become an elite #1. Without nuge to shelter McDavid, Leon, and Lander how good is this team going to be? It will be that much worse and I don't think that would be good for any of those players or the team, long or short term.

It's a bad strategy to trade Nuge now. Or even in general when taking into account the cap. Nuge is one of our best players still well short of his prime and signed very reasonable for a very long time.

As much as I prefer Leon's size for the West Nuge should be here long term thinking big picture.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
As someone mentioned trading Nuge creates a big hole.

I agree the team improves hypothetically, especially down the road.

But. We are ignoring reality.

Nuge is our best centre now without question. Closest thing we have to a legit #1 center and could well take the next step and become an elite #1. Without nuge to shelter McDavid, Leon, and Lander how good is this team going to be? It will be that much worse and I don't think that would be good for any of those players or the team, long or short term.

It's a bad strategy to trade Nuge now. Or even in general when taking into account the cap. Nuge is one of our best players still well short of his prime and signed very reasonable for a very long time.

As much as I prefer Leon's size for the West Nuge should be here long term thinking big picture.

On the same token, having RNH pair against opposing team's top lines can only benefit McDavid. We've all seen how throwing young stars to the wolves is seriously detrimental to them (McDavid is probably an exception, but still). With RNH, the Oilers will finally be able to do with their 1st overall pick what they have not done for the past 3: put them in a position to succeed.

RNH is already a solid two-way centerman, and he is only going to get better while putting up 65-75 points a year (I think--maybe he flirts with 80-85 at his peak). If RNH maintains his developmental trajectory, then the Oilers could have one of the best 1-2 center punch in the league.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Fourier said:
Oilers have a little less than 5.5 in cap space. Generalfanager has them with 2.8 but that's with 3 players too many on their roster.

But it does not include bonuses and McDavid is close to a lock to earn his full bonuses if he does not get hurt. Moreover, depending on who makes the team they may exceed the allowable bonus cushion so part of his bonus may become hard cap money anyway.

If need be they could clear space quickly though.
I don't think it's a fair assumption that anyone will hit all of their rookie bonuses. We don't know the structure of McDavid's deal. We don't know what sort of numbers he needs to hit. How much is based around winning the Calder (which he very well might do).

McDavid might hit all of his bonuses. It's not a guarantee though. And he's honestly the only one in the organization (outside of Klefbom, whose bonuses are minimal) who I think has any chance at hitting any significant portion of their bonuses. I doubt Draisaitl/Nurse are on the team and I don't think Reinhart plays more than bottom pair minutes.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
You have to think Clifford or Nolan are expendable with Lucic going to LA. Possibly King as well

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't think it's a fair assumption that anyone will hit all of their rookie bonuses. We don't know the structure of McDavid's deal. We don't know what sort of numbers he needs to hit. How much is based around winning the Calder (which he very well might do).

McDavid might hit all of his bonuses. It's not a guarantee though. And he's honestly the only one in the organization (outside of Klefbom, whose bonuses are minimal) who I think has any chance at hitting any significant portion of their bonuses. I doubt Draisaitl/Nurse are on the team and I don't think Reinhart plays more than bottom pair minutes.

He is a first overall. And not an ordinary one at that. Traditionally they get virtually anything they want. This is why the contracts happen so quickly. Typically this means if he hits one clause he gets his full Schedule B bonus. This happened with Hall and with Schultz. The easiest for him next year will be finishing top 3 in the Calder voting which automatically triggers a League paid bonus. You can be quite sure it would get him his full schedule B bonus.

McDavid hitting at least 3 of the Schedule A bonuses look pretty automatic to me if he does not get hurt. If he gets 60 points he pretty much insures the full $850K schedule A bonuses.

So could he fail to get his full bonus. Sure, but it would be prudent not to count on it unless you want a significant carry over next year when cap space may again be very valuable.

As to the others I agree that Klefbom is likely the only one to hit much this year. But if they are on the roster their bonuses technically do count against the cap and if the sum total exceeds the bonus cushion, which they very well could, the excess is on the hard cap. If McDavid, Klefbom, Leon and Reinhart are all on the roster you have $8.025M in bonuses on the books and the cushion is $5.355M so you have an additional $2.67M added to the hard cap, which is just shy of McDavid`s full bonus.

Anaheim was essentially forced to keep Ryan on the farm because of cap reasons when he was clearly ready to play and it contributed to a soured relationship later on down the road. Leon may or may not be on the team but if you tell him that they can`t bring him up because of his bonuses regardless of how well he plays, I am not sure that is in the best long term interest of the club.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
When does training camp start? All these nonsense proposals just need to stop, and we need to get back to hockey

hockeytime.jpg

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
On the same token, having RNH pair against opposing team's top lines can only benefit McDavid. We've all seen how throwing young stars to the wolves is seriously detrimental to them (McDavid is probably an exception, but still). With RNH, the Oilers will finally be able to do with their 1st overall pick what they have not done for the past 3: put them in a position to succeed.

RNH is already a solid two-way centerman, and he is only going to get better while putting up 65-75 points a year (I think--maybe he flirts with 80-85 at his peak). If RNH maintains his developmental trajectory, then the Oilers could have one of the best 1-2 center punch in the league.

The problem is though, we still have an absolutely brutal defence. I don't want to trade RNH but for a defence man of Weber's calibre you do it 100% of the time. We all seen what a gamechangng defence men can do for a club. I think with Weber this team wins at least one cup maybe more, I dunno if they even get to the finals with RNH and Mcdavid as the top 2 centres but continue dressing a horrid defence.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
When does training camp start? All these nonsense proposals just need to stop, and we need to get back to hockey

if you come to a hockey forum in August, this is what you get.

Maybe the thread about the Pronger trade got people in the mood for Weber, and that was an August deal.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The problem is though, we still have an absolutely brutal defence. I don't want to trade RNH but for a defence man of Weber's calibre you do it 100% of the time. We all seen what a gamechangng defence men can do for a club. I think with Weber this team wins at least one cup maybe more, I dunno if they even get to the finals with RNH and Mcdavid as the top 2 centres but continue dressing a horrid defence.

The problem is not only that we don't have a quality defense. It's that Chiarelli has done virtually nothing to add players that can shield McDavid. He's added players who can play hockey well, like Sekera, and that's great but it would be good to add some muscle to the top six or to our top 4 D. I noticed a recent trend of people saying that physical protection doesn't matter anymore, but I disagree. They can't deter everyone, but worst hits come from gutless pest types of players who don't want to pay the price after a whistle.

Gazdic and Gryba are at the bottom of the depth chart and so they won't be playing with McDavid. They probably won't be playing at all on most nights. These are the types of players who don't matter anymore.

Getting Weber not only fixes the D, but it gives us a really mean player who will be on the ice for over 25 minutes a game. Maybe he isn't a realistic target, but it is all about discussing what it would take to finish rebuilding our team

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
The problem is not only that we don't have a quality defense. It's that Chiarelli has done virtually nothing to add players that can shield McDavid. He's added players who can play hockey well, like Sekera, and that's great but it would be good to add some muscle to the top six or to our top 4 D. I noticed a recent trend of people saying that physical protection doesn't matter anymore, but I disagree. They can't deter everyone, but worst hits come from gutless pest types of players who don't want to pay the price after a whistle.

Gazdic and Gryba are at the bottom of the depth chart and so they won't be playing with McDavid. They probably won't be playing at all on most nights. These are the types of players who don't matter anymore.

Getting Weber not only fixes the D, but it gives us a really mean player who will be on the ice for over 25 minutes a game. Maybe he isn't a realistic target, but it is all about discussing what it would take to finish rebuilding our team

This. Great post.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Lets aim a little lower than Weber.. Byfuglien to me is Weber with half a brain.
Hits, scores, logs big minutes but isnt always smart...

Phaneuf is Byfuglien with half a brain..
Also hit, scores, logs minutes but is mostly not smart.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Lets aim a little lower than Weber.. Byfuglien to me is Weber with half a brain.
Hits, scores, logs big minutes but isnt always smart...

Phaneuf is Byfuglien with half a brain..
Also hit, scores, logs minutes but is mostly not smart.

Nikitin is Phaneuf with half a brain. Let's stop aiming so low. Weber's trickle down effect on the D can not be underestimated. Regardless... this is not the year to trade RNH. Next year maybe.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Nikitin is Phaneuf with half a brain. Let's stop aiming so low. Weber's trickle down effect on the D can not be underestimated. Regardless... this is not the year to trade RNH. Next year maybe.

No, next year isn't either. We finally have some center depth and a great 1-2 punch with Mcdavid and RNH and now we want to trade that away. I would rather trade away Drai, Hall, Ebs or Yak before moving RNH and Mcdavid.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I noticed a recent trend of people saying that physical protection doesn't matter anymore, but I disagree. They can't deter everyone, but worst hits come from gutless pest types of players who don't want to pay the price after a whistle.

Maybe Edmonton need a pest? The power play looks to have potential today. I bet Nolan from LA would be cheap to acquire.

Teams definitely won't be wanting to take penalties against a healthy Oilers team within 2-3 years.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Maybe Edmonton need a pest? The power play looks to have potential today. I bet Nolan from LA would be cheap to acquire.

Teams definitely won't be wanting to take penalties against a healthy Oilers team within 2-3 years.

I'd rather try to pry King away from them than Nolan. At least King can be put on a line with higher end players.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I'd rather try to pry King away from them than Nolan. At least King can be put on a line with higher end players.

I agree with this. King can compliment skilled players well and is pretty good defensively. Clifford and Nolan are pretty much just goons.

Kings have about 5M in space if I'm not mistaken and the Voynov and Richards things are still up in the air. There's a good chance they might have to clear some space.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I actually feel so bad; they're travelling down a bottomless pit of despair and the worst part is.....it's only the beginning :cry:

I actually feel for Vancouver fans weirdly. They werent that bad of fan base when they were good and we were terrible. I also love watching the sedins

But holy the team is going into the toilet, and doing it fast. Its not even tambo bad because they are actively doing bad things and not doing good things. Tambo just did nothing. All these trades is full meltdown mode

They turned keeler, Lou, schiender, lack into what? Sutter, horvat, sbisa, some picks? That's atrocious asset management.

Now the drafting is next to be messed up (JV might be the first major miss, time will tell)

I hope they recover and Calgary takes their place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad