Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | You Need to Fire Kenny, You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Wasn’t a fan of the Kane rumors but if he does end up in Edmonton I like how we got just ourselves a legit 20-30 goal scorer for nothing.

I imagine he would capitalize on a lot more of the grade A scoring chances Yamamoto and Pulju has been missing the past month. Both those guys could have easily had 2-4 goals the last 5 games

Reactions: McDrai

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Because it hasn’t worked for 2 seasons now. How can’t you see that. Nuge for the pat 2 seasons, not just goals but over all has been producing at a high end 3rd liner level while playing with one of the 2 best offensive players in hockey. It’s not working, so why keep forcing it? Try something different and see if it works. Nuge at 5v5 in the top 6 is not helping us win games. Right now his only real positive contributions is special teams and was last year two. Why not try something different instead of just hoping that he will eventually get it?
So one of the worst seasons of his career and then one where he is getting assists at double the rate of the prior year?
If his 5x5 G/60 normalize to historical norms for the guy he isnt scoring at 3rd liner levels anymore. Again it is disingenuous to state the guy is regressing this year by pointing at one stat when he is shooting drastically below a 10-year average and pretending that the rest of his offence hasnt significantly picked up PP and 5x5 assists per 60.

Do you truly have faith that Yamo or Kassian should be in our top 6? When I stated those questions it was more to get at that we dont have many strong options and maybe demoting a guy who is scoring at a 71 point pace isnt the answer when the players you are advocating for have much more limited upside in the top six.

Anyways we clearly disagree since trying something different than we have this season and last clearly means we need Kassian in the top 6 since Yamo hasnt worked either and regardless of how you shuffle it unless you are putting Perlini top 6 we are bumping a bottom 6 forward into the top 6 to fit the try something new that you advocate for. Kassian in my opinion is clearly not the answer as the guy is an absolute shell who shows up 1 game in 10.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So one of the worst seasons of his career and then one where he is getting assists at double the rate of the prior year?
If his 5x5 G/60 normalize to historical norms for the guy he isnt scoring at 3rd liner levels anymore.

Do you truly have faith that Yamo or Kassian should be in our top 6. When I stated those questions it was more to get at that we dont have many strong options and maybe demoting a guy who is scoring at a 71 point pace isnt the answer when the players you are advocating for have much more limited upside in the top six.

Anyways we clearly disagree since trying something different than we have this season and last clearly means we need Kassian in the top 6 since Yamo hasnt worked either and regardless of how you shuffle it unless you are putting Perlini top 6 we are bumping a bottom 6 forward into the top 6 to fit the try something new that you advocate for. Kassian in my opinion is clearly not the answer as the guy is an absolute shell who shows up 1 game in 10.
Kassian and McLeod are our best bottom 6 guys. Kassian has showed he has that extra step when he wants. My hope is Kanes play style could help. Not saying try it to matter what but it’s worth a try. At the end of the day neither Nuge or Yamamoto are good top 6 guys the last 2 seasons

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's hardly any secret this team's lacked quality depth which effects 5 on 5 play and results. This team rolled the dice with a whack of cheap hopes trying to find some quality support players to move this beyond a two elite player driver team. Personnel is an issue with this team and continues to be with an Island of Misfit Toys mash up of retreads (Turris), reclamation projects (Perlini, Shore, Ryan), and green bananas gaining experience adapting to the best competition in the world (Mcleod, Benson). Cup contenders roll three and four lines deep with trusted players and who can share the load production wise. Three years out of Chiarelli's tenure which left them capped out and with a threadbare NHL roster, this team is only beginning to build out the supporting depth to help carry the load of production beyond McDavid and Draisaitl. A tough pill when this has been an over ten to fifteen year work in progress.

We've seen past loser Oiler coaches go on to now successful turnaround situations in LA and Anaheim with (spoiler alert) good young talent beginning to emerge. Quality of personnel is overwhelmingly the driver between perceptions of coaching excellence and failure. The Oilers players had every opportunity to "Travis Green" their head coach through this losing streak. But didn't as their effort remained strong sewered by league low goaltending. Underlaying statistics remained reasonable strong despite close games breaking badly into blow out when a fragile team started to break down in their play chasing games.

Bruce there it is is beginning to regress to the reality of the Canucks roster. Other coaching changes have largely fizzled. Trotz hasn't coached/coaxed last year's Conference Champions back into playoff contention. We see McLellan and Eakins redeemed failures in Edmonton's spin cycle of coaching suddenly look capable with good rosters. They couldn't be run out of town fast enough for many.

EDIT: The Oilers most recent playoffs were decided largely by poor goaltending (Chicago) and superior quality forward depth in the coin flip Winnipeg series.

And who specifically are the difference making coaches you think are out there and available?
I’m no fan of Holland any longer, but we can’t keep excusing Tippett’s failures here. Ask yourself if he’s implemented the best system for the personnel that he has. If your answer is yes then we disagree on a fundamental level.

Oilers are always late with their moves. Their decision making lags behind actual needs arising, which causes pressure points to build and forces hurried decision making down the line, which usually results in poor choices being made. Gallant and Boudreau were available last summer; unfortunately, the Oilers were once again, late.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Kassian and McLeod are our best bottom 6 guys. Kassian has showed he has that extra step when he wants. My hope is Kanes play style could help. Not saying try it to matter what but it’s worth a try. At the end of the day neither Nuge or Yamamoto are good top 6 guys the last 2 seasons
See and I am up for that but Nuge needs to be on the wing on the 3rd line since he is a 40% FO guy and there is no sense using him in a slot that makes no sense when you have a 3C option that is better.

I guess the last point I would make is if Kassian doesnt bring it and quickly when you try it you demote him. I am not against trying it but wouldnt force it hoping that Kane energizes Kassian when that is part of what Kassian is meant to do in the first place by bringing that element. More than half the time the guy isnt even really dishing out hits or even playing any semblance of strong hockey. McLeod on the other hand I just dont see the argument for putting a strong FO guy in the top six when we need a 3C badly.

Yeah IDK if I buy that Nuge isnt a good top six guy the last two seasons when in 19-20 Nuge put up 2.3 5x5 Points per /60 which would put him about 90th in the league which would be bottom end first line production. I think what you mean is last season and the start of this one. Where my argument the whole time is if you revert the 5x5 goals per 60 stat to his historical average for this season (which is reasonable based on shooting %'s) his 5x5 points per sixty puts him as a bottom end second liner at 5x5 which is better than playing Yamo there when the guy doesnt generate a lot.

Edit: The ranking is only including forwards in terms of 5x5 P/60 and does not exclude any outliers with small samples of games or those who clearly have had good puck luck and play sub-10 minute TOI games and make the list above the 2.3 5x5 P/60 mark.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I’m no fan of Holland any longer, but we can’t keep excusing Tippett’s failures here. Ask yourself if he’s implemented the best system for the personnel that he has. If your answer is yes then we disagree on a fundamental level.

Oilers are always late with their moves. Their decision making lags behind actual needs arising, which causes pressure points to build and forces hurried decision making down the line, which usually results in poor choices being made. Gallant and Boudreau were available last summer; unfortunately, the Oilers were once again, late.

The team plays far too passive and tentative. Not the right coach for this team. I’m flabbergasted that anyone still thinks otherwise, all due respect to them

Holland f***ed up the goaltending and probably should have passed on Barrie for a shut down D. Part of the Barrie thing was the coach sat Bouchard for more than he should have so they felt the need to bring Barrie back. Holland improved the depth scoring, looked better at season start and not surprisingly looked better again when the team was playing loose in the recent skid.

His refusal to admit his mistake in his coaching hire will be one of his biggest mistakes. Treliving is a mediocre GM getting his bacon saved by an astute coaching hire and lucking into Markstrom

Reactions: Cloned

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

You know what else drags 5v5 scoring? Mediocre goaltending. Oilers have it and their 1B guy has played 4-6 games this year. No team overcomes that unscathed in any situation and it's dragged the Oilers down to fighting for a playoff spot.

Boudreau's playoff success rivals Tippett's. Lots of good teams but couldn't get them over. Replaced in Minnesota where an NHL rookie coach is squeezing more out of their roster. Now tied to that, the roster is improving. Got .950 Sv% to drive Canuckles regressing to more competitive which was expected of them. Gallant impressed me massively with his expansion coaching job in Vegas. Yet Vegas for some reason believed there was a better coach available and punted him. Gallant smartly picked the Rangers who have been emerging through a quick rebuild. Perfect situation similar to the guy in Florida post-Quennville and even Brind'Amour who went from assistant to coach when Peters opted for greener financial pastures in Calgary. The core table was pretty well set with an emerging elite Sebastien Aho and others.

Common denominator in coach success is the quality of their rosters. Trotz, again who I think is among elite, can't get a Conference Champion team back in the playoff hunt.

This Oiler team gets healthy, adds Kane and Holloway to push better support players lower in the roster, will be where the rubber hits the road on this team's success collectively and in its coaching. Don't have goaltending pretty hard to any coach to win.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The team plays far too passive and tentative. Not the right coach for this team. I’m flabbergasted that anyone still thinks otherwise, all due respect to them

Holland f***ed up the goaltending and probably should have passed on Barrie for a shut down D. Part of the Barrie thing was the coach sat Bouchard for more than he should have so they felt the need to bring Barrie back. Holland improved the depth scoring, looked better at season start and not surprisingly looked better again when the team was playing loose in the recent skid.

His refusal to admit his mistake in his coaching hire will be one of his biggest mistakes. Treliving is a mediocre GM getting his bacon saved by an astute coaching hire and lucking into Markstrom
From what I read, Flames ownership forced Treliving to hire Sutter, so I wouldn’t give any credit to Brad there.

Agree otherwise though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You know what else drags 5v5 scoring? Mediocre goaltending. Oilers have it and their 1B guy has played 4-6 games this year. No team overcomes that unscathed in any situation and it's dragged the Oilers down to fighting for a playoff spot.

Boudreau's playoff success rivals Tippett's. Lots of good teams but couldn't get them over. Replaced in Minnesota where an NHL rookie coach is squeezing more out of their roster. Now tied to that, the roster is improving. Got .950 Sv% to drive Canuckles regressing to more competitive which was expected of them. Gallant impressed me massively with his expansion coaching job in Vegas. Yet Vegas for some reason believed there was a better coach available and punted him. Gallant smartly picked the Rangers who have been emerging through a quick rebuild. Perfect situation similar to the guy in Florida post-Quennville and even Brind'Amour who went from assistant to coach when Peters opted for greener financial pastures in Calgary. The core table was pretty well set with an emerging elite Sebastien Aho and others.

Common denominator in coach success is the quality of their rosters. Trotz, again who I think is among elite, can't get a Conference Champion team back in the playoff hunt.

This Oiler team gets healthy, adds Kane and Holloway to push better support players lower in the roster, will be where the rubber hits the road on this team's success collectively and in its coaching.
I think we’ve lacked great coaching for such a long time that it’s forgotten what it even looks like. Tippett ain’t it, man. We’ll just agree to disagree.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
When the reasonable and rationale post was corroborated by 3-4 other posters I would think that your demands for a link for a podcast would have subsided.

This is a forum. Not a murder trial.

Nope. If it was widely reported, as the original poster said- by definition, there should be reports everywhere. Googling it, by one one of your corroborates, the article simply said the players liked him and wanted him to sign in Edmonton. The players reached out to Barrie and asked if had signed yet- which implies they didn’t go to Holland and demand he sign Barrie. The original post stated that McDavid went to Holland. He did not. Unless you can refute that with the “widely reported” article- you’re full of shit.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
From what I read, Flames ownership forced Treliving to hire Sutter, so I wouldn’t give any credit to Brad there.

Agree otherwise though.

Haha even better. The guy has done sweet f*** all since Marky chose to play with his besty Lindy. Sutter probably told him to go and get Gudbranson and Zadorov (both of whom aren’t very good anyhow). I guess he overpaid for Coleman? Wow

Reactions: Cloned

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Nope. If it was widely reported, as the original poster said- by definition, there should be reports everywhere. Googling it, by one one of your corroborates, the article simply said the players liked him and wanted him to sign in Edmonton. The players reached out to Barrie and asked if had signed yet- which implies they didn’t go to Holland and demand he sign Barrie. The original post stated that McDavid went to Holland. He did not. Unless you can refute that with the “widely reported” article- you’re full of shit.

Holy f*** drop it already. I don’t give a flying f*** what you believe.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Haha even better. The guy has done sweet f*** all since Marky chose to play with his besty Lindy. Sutter probably told him to go and get Gudbranson and Zadorov (both of whom aren’t very good anyhow). I guess he overpaid for Coleman? Wow

Come on. Give the guy some credit. He took a mediocre borderline playoff team and turned it into a mediocre borderline playoff team.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

D713D629-245D-41CD-A034-DF20015C5E31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad