Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: The Post Draft Apocalypse/Countdown to Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Funny listening to people talk about how to allocate the cap and as if their is always the next deal to be made around the corner, so any given GM can simply walk away from any deal.

GMs also talk, so they plan around the phone calls they get

These GMs target specific players that they have to assess can fit within the org and certain players

It's always funny to listen to opinions who suggest that the NHL is as simple as plug and play based on #s they come up with from CapFriendly b/c they spent a full 10 minutes doing their "research"

The bickering over Hyman is downright hilarious when one can simply look back to how Maroon performed with McD and how it fit his game. There isn't an assembly line of Maroon type players each year to pick from

People really need to realize GMs, right or wrong, base their targets around the team and it's not a candy store that they can simply pick and choose whoever is available

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Funny listening to people talk about how to allocate the cap and as if their is always the next deal to be made around the corner, so any given GM can simply walk away from any deal.

GMs also talk, so they plan around the phone calls they get

These GMs target specific players that they have to assess can fit within the org and certain players

It's always funny to listen to opinions who suggest that the NHL is as simple as plug and play based on #s they come up with from CapFriendly b/c they spent a full 10 minutes doing their "research"

The bickering over Hyman is downright hilarious when one can simply look back to how Maroon performed with McD and how it fit his game. There isn't an assembly line of Maroon type players each year to pick from

People really need to realize GMs, right or wrong, base their targets around the team and it's not a candy store that they can simply pick and choose whoever is available

There are so many intangibles that people don't consider.

when it comes to ufas, how many truly have Edmonton as a top 5 destination?

When it comes to trades "we should have grabbed that guy". Maybe... but maybe he wasn't even offered to us. Maybe the team trading him only called some teams that had specific assets that they had identified as an ideal return

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
In while this thread hasn’t degenerated into 3 posters 10,000 word essays on the pure evil that is Holland.

I get the long term deals, I understand and agree with a 4 year window (all in) and figure it out later.

I think it was the Kawhi Leonard trade that solidified it for me. You have a shot at a championship, you take it.

RNH and Hymen are the elements under the cap to add others and go for it now. Movement is limited under the Cap. You could have possibly signed each for a year at $8M and squealed with delight you get cap space next year, without adding others this year.

I’m not sure I will like his next moves in the coming weeks to fill the roster…but I like the long term strategy low cap hit now so that he can at least try.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
A couple of guys I am interested in is Dvorak and Zucker. Both are cap dumps for their teams so it is depressed value.

Maybe Kassian and a B prospect for Zucker?? Pitts was one of the teams Stauffer thinks is interested in Zucker and they save 2 mill in cap space

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
There are so many intangibles that people don't consider.

when it comes to ufas, how many truly have Edmonton as a top 5 destination?

When it comes to trades "we should have grabbed that guy". Maybe... but maybe he wasn't even offered to us. Maybe the team trading him only called some teams that had specific assets that they had identified as an ideal return
I'm guessing a decent number there are going to be a couple wingers who just want a bounce back offensive season, a couple offensive d-men who want to play in a system that lets them play to their strengths, a few with prior connections to management or coaching, a few Western & Central Canadian kids who might want a homecoming of sorts, the drawing power of McDavid & Drai, and lastly a goaltender who wants a chance at stealing the starters job likely sees here as one of their better opportunities to secure that position.

While it sounds like a lot of factors and therefore a lot of UFA's have us in their top 5, I don't think that's the case, but I do think it will be a healthy handful and we will mostly draw offensive players (who are a touch one-dimensional) who want to pad their numbers for the next contract. The 2nd largest factor is just opportunity and unlike other positions a lot of goalies who aren't established's main driving factor is just a place where they can potentially play a lot and hold down the starter's spot.

Reactions: Bobieque

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I was on the Pens board and I came accross an interesting post.

For the entirety of the Sid & Geno tenure, I always got a chuckle out of blokes that thought UFA's were dying to play here, like very good ones. Yet we never get one like the Taylor Hall type of deal with the Bruins. Ever. 6m/yr for 4yrs for a player like Hall is just...wow. We got so cocky, a lot of us, that just felt like it'd be a privilege for these fantastic UFA's to sign with the Pens just to play with them and the best we've gotten for UFA's is what? Petr Sykora. Steve Sullivan is the close 2nd. A decade ago.

Kinda takes the wind out of the narrative that people will want to play with McD and Drai. TBH, we lured more in 2 years of Holland (Barrie) than the Pens have done in a dozen years

The reality is that players will consider us but Edmonton still pays a luxury tax to attract them over warm clients or original 6 US teams

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

For the entirety of the Sid & Geno tenure, I always got a chuckle out of blokes that thought UFA's were dying to play here, like very good ones. Yet we never get one like the Taylor Hall type of deal with the Bruins. Ever. 6m/yr for 4yrs for a player like Hall is just...wow. We got so cocky, a lot of us, that just felt like it'd be a privilege for these fantastic UFA's to sign with the Pens just to play with them and the best we've gotten for UFA's is what? Petr Sykora. Steve Sullivan is the close 2nd. A decade ago.

Kinda takes the wind out of the narrative that people will want to play with McD and Drai. TBH, we lured more in 2 years of Holland (Barrie) than the Pens have done in a dozen years

The reality is that players will consider us but Edmonton still pays a luxury tax to attract them over warm clients or original 6 US teams
For Pittsburgh comparisons, they didn’t get their player via UFA, and Edmonton shouldn’t be trying to do that either. They traded assets and were smart about it. They got all of Hossa, Dupuis, Kunitz via trade. If Edmonton had half a brain they would be trying to do the same, look how many big names have got traded lately? The players are out there you just have to be willing to part with the Assets. Ken Holland is obsessed with having draft picks, look how upset he was over the 2 picks he traded for AA? He called that going all in and cited that as a reason he held off this last year. Time will tell but I’d be interested to see us be as active as the Pens were on the trade market.

Holland says he’d rather spend cap then assets, see the Keith trade, but I don’t think that’s the answer. Every good team has made shrewd moves in trade, Tampa got Coleman and Goodrow.

You know the best way to attract players to play in Edmonton? Acquire them and watch them spend half a season next to either Mcdavid or Draisaitl and see 1. that we have a real chance at something here, and 2. They could put up their best offensive seasons as apart of it.

You think a year ago Barrie thought for a second he might actually stay in the dump that is Edmonton for more then 1 year? Now there is rumors he wants to sign here with some term

duul

Jun 21, 2010
With all the cap space, plus more we can get with a buyout and possible Koskinen trade, you have to think that Hyman + adding a depth defenceman in free agency will be seen as an abject failure to all of us.

If he isn't adding at least two skilled forwards and a solid defenceman, not to mention a goalie, it will be a failure.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Lucic also turned down more money to play with McDavid.

I also dont recall the Pittsbugh signings taking massive discounts. We haven't had cap space.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I'll take one Ryan Getzlaf please. He'd be great on the ice and would bring the intangibles for our young team that Holland covets.

When is the buyout window?
Currently now till July 27, I would expect if we are doing the buyout it will be tomorrow. Probably a bunch of them around the league. GM’s waiting till the last minute to see if they can find someone to take on the deal

Reactions: dssource

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Tampa Bay, Boston, Toronto etc., have all demonstrated that there are other teams with exciting players that other players want to move to. Heck, sometimes those teams even play for and win Stanley Cups. ;)

Edmonton, I dont believe, has any sort of monopoly on having generational talent that acts as a UFA attractant. McDavid and Drai are exciting, no question. But I agree with other posters here that UFAs are looking at a long laundry list of wants and desires when selecting a landing spot for their next 25-40 million dollar payday. Weather, taxes, quality of lifestyle, family requirements, overall team talents, organizational stability, and the presence of generational talents etc., all play a part. I don’t think you can say which weigh heavier than others, as it’s different for each UFA I suspect.

Edmonton will never have the weather or tax advantage (at least not in my lifetime given current socio-economic issues) of other locales. They have to improve its organizational stability (I don’t mean ownership, but more so the hockey ops side) and demonstrate that they can be a play off team year in and year out. I think that attracts players to a great degree, all other factors, not withstanding.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don't understand the regurgitated tropes. If it's been said a thousand times don't make it your goal for it to be stated 1,001 times.

Is it an endorphin release, a compulsion to have everyone accept as gospel the universe of discourse you rerun in your head, or is it simply to echo the herd?

I keep coming back to see if there is new rumors, news, proposals or interesting opinions that haven't been restated and rehashed since 2007. Could it be some posters are paid shills to post distractions and prevent discourse?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I don't understand the regurgitated tropes. If it's been said a thousand times don't make it your goal for it to be stated 1,001 times.

Is it an endorphin release, a compulsion to have everyone accept as gospel the universe of discourse you rerun in your head, or is it simply to echo the herd?

I keep coming back to see if there is new rumors, news, proposals or interesting opinions that haven't been restated and rehashed since 2007. Could it be some posters are paid shills to post distractions and prevent discourse?

You need some coffee, or maybe less coffee.
Either way, you need something.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Nothing cracks me up more than posters complaining about other posters and wanting to silence their opinions :laugh:

Like, I know cancel culture is a pretty cool trend right now but this is a discussion forum made for differences in opinion. Lighten up and enjoy the banter!

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011

Welcome to a public message board

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I don't think UFAs will sign here for a show me year beside Mcdrai.

Barrie just tried that. He scored more points than any other defenseman and not only does he not seem to be highly sought after, he unprecedentedly wasn't awarded a single Norris vote.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Nothing cracks me up more than posters complaining about other posters and wanting to silence their opinions :laugh:

Like, I know cancel culture is a pretty cool trend right now but this is a discussion forum made for differences in opinion. Lighten up and enjoy the banter!

I think one of those key points is “discussion”. Having a poster state their point of view repeatedly, sometimes 15-20 times over the space of a few pages, is not discussion. It reminds me of a “Trump Forever” follower that yells the same thing over and over again like a zombie.

I enjoyed following banter/back and forth and actually discussing things, and stating a position once.

Once.

Not mindlessly almost copying and posting the same “take” replying to everyone on a thread not even reading their posts.

Ehh…I’m getting old. Could be my partial hangover this morning but I’m feeling ornery :skeptic:
. Mostly agree with your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad