Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | The Infinity Glove Hand, Snap Your Fingers and the Puck Still Goes In

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Simply put, the Flames, their fan base and fart sniffing media are our primal enemies, from now and until the end of time.

so_say_we_all1.gif

So say we all eat kraft dinner and fart on their graves??

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The "problem" with Yamamoto is no one really has a good idea at this point what he is.

Is he a good 2 way forward with limited offense?

Is he a solid offensive performer who may be too small and his body won't hold up longer term with the style he plays?

Truth is he's barely played 100 games in the NHL... which is really just over a full season... but those games have been split over 4 different seasons with several injuries mixed in as well.

3 pts in 8 games
2 pts in 17 games
26 pts in 27 games
21 pts in 52 games

Those results are all over the place.

We do know he has a high work ethic and effort level and his give a crap meter I think is higher than average as well so he's got that going for him.

Probably taking an average of all those games... 52 pts in 105 games puts him on a full season pace of ~40 pts. Whether he can actually stay healthy for a full 82 games season is another question as well.

It's hard to say what the finished product will be as he's still just 22 (23 shortly).

I somewhat doubt we'll see him get back to that near point per game pace he was at in those 27 games 2 years ago and the "reality" may be closer to 40-50 pts in a good year when he stays healthy... maybe Gagner-like offensive numbers.

Nothing wrong with that for a middle six player who has a high compete level and that draws more than his fair share of penalties... I think we are all just hoping his body holds together and his career lasts more than 200-300 games because the level of intensity at the NHL level with the way he plays will take a toll on him.

I think the Oilers would be better served to let the players sort out who are the best top 6 players and if Yamamoto is pushed down then so be it. That competition should drive player like Yamamoto and push him to be better. It will also push players Like Puljujarvi, Foegle, Hyman, and Benson. I love having some depth as you don't have to ride a cold player hoping to for them to break out of their slump. There is alot of Holland hate out there and some of it deserved, but one thing I do like that he did is season his players a little more. He filled the roster with replacement level pieces like Chaisson, Nygard, Koekkoek,

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
The "problem" with Yamamoto is no one really has a good idea at this point what he is.

Is he a good 2 way forward with limited offense?

Is he a solid offensive performer who may be too small and his body won't hold up longer term with the style he plays?

Truth is he's barely played 100 games in the NHL... which is really just over a full season... but those games have been split over 4 different seasons with several injuries mixed in as well.

3 pts in 8 games
2 pts in 17 games
26 pts in 27 games
21 pts in 52 games

Those results are all over the place.

We do know he has a high work ethic and effort level and his give a crap meter I think is higher than average as well so he's got that going for him.

Probably taking an average of all those games... 52 pts in 105 games puts him on a full season pace of ~40 pts. Whether he can actually stay healthy for a full 82 games season is another question as well.

It's hard to say what the finished product will be as he's still just 22 (23 shortly).

I somewhat doubt we'll see him get back to that near point per game pace he was at in those 27 games 2 years ago and the "reality" may be closer to 40-50 pts in a good year when he stays healthy... maybe Gagner-like offensive numbers.

Nothing wrong with that for a middle six player who has a high compete level and that draws more than his fair share of penalties... I think we are all just hoping his body holds together and his career lasts more than 200-300 games because the level of intensity at the NHL level with the way he plays will take a toll on him.
The “problem” is actually Oiler fans have to high of expectations for point production for players like Yamamoto and Puljujarvi, given that they get next to no PP time.

You cite “Gagner like offense” do you recall how Gagner was fed PP time? If Yamamoto is a 40-50 point EV player we are thrilled. Do you know what Gagners career high in points is at even strength? 34. His one 50 point season in CBJ, 18 of those points came on the PP.

With the limited room for addition of movement on our PP the next few years I would be thrilled to see Yamamoto as a 40-50 point player.

Of those 52 points you’ve cited, only 4 were PPP, puts his production into prospective a little better. Though I would agree he can’t sustain the pace he had the first 27 games, even strength or not

Reactions: Skar, TB12 and SK13

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think it's a little strange how some of them say they should rebuild, but if they get Eichel then they go from rebuild to legit cup contenders.

Do I just not know anything about Jack Eichel?

Some Oiler fans think we are going no where and McDavid will walk . Others think we will contend . Sometime the sum of all the parts are greater then the Individual parts . If the Oilers new player find Chemistry the sky is the limit . Same goes for any team

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The “problem” is actually Oiler fans have to high of expectations for point production for players like Yamamoto and Puljujarvi, given that they get next to no PP time.

You cite “Gagner like offense” do you recall how Gagner was fed PP time? If Yamamoto is a 40-50 point EV player we are thrilled. Do you know what Gagners career high in points is at even strength? 34. His one 50 point season in CBJ, 18 of those points came on the PP.

With the limited room for addition of movement on our PP the next few years I would be thrilled to see Yamamoto as a 40-50 point player.

Of those 52 points you’ve cited, only 4 were PPP, puts his production into prospective a little better. Though I would agree he can’t sustain the pace he had the first 27 games, even strength or not

This is a good point.

Most teams do not operate a PP like the Oilers operate a PP. McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins were all in the top-5 in PPTOI (minimum 30 games played) in the NHL. Only the Colorado Avalanche and Florida Panthers utilized one unit in the same way we did, while Ovechkin got the same kind of double shifts on the #3 rated PP.

So a guy like Kailer Yamamoto or even Jesse Puljujarvi are not going to share the same opportunity that a first or second-line winger might have on most other hockey teams. They scored 18 and 21 points at even strength last year. Compare that to some other prolific forwards in the North division: Gaudreau had 30, Tkachuk had 28, Horvat had 27, Nylander had 31, Wheeler had 31, Josh Anderson had 22

EDIT: Just for fun, McDavid had 68 EV points and Draisaitl had 51. McDavid was more productive than Gaudreau and Horvat combined & Draisaitl was the equivalent of 2.5 Josh Anderson's.

If Kailer Yamamoto winds up with 45 seconds of PP time again and scores 15 goals and 40 points, primarily at even strength, that should be considered a more successful season than it initially looks like it should be. It puts him in the company of legitimate top line players in our division at even strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad