Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Anyone on here going to that tournament in Penticton? Would love to go but I’ll be in PEI. Hoping games are streamed

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Interesting. Well Mark is a good bro lol. Next up Paul Messier the ESPN on air talent assistant
Mark got sister Mary Kay the longterm job she has with Bauer. This started far back as 86 when Mark commissioned her to do studies on hockey helmet safety and commissioned research and design on better helmets which Bauer picked up on. He's very dedicated and thorough. He's made sure every sibling has some kind of job or livelihood. Mark details what he did for his parents too in his book. Everybody should have a kid like Mark. heh.

Reactions: Biltmore

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I remember it well. I actually had my shoulder operated on April 4. Getting better now. Hip is next . Not sure I need a new one or not. I think next time I go to funeral and it’s open casket, I’m grabbing their hip. They won’t need it anymore
lol dark post man.

hope you're feeling better soon. Shoulder and hip would be painful. You probably got all the associated nerve pains shooting up and around. Where it stops nobody knows.

I have sciatica pain that just randomly lands somewhere and then I'm dealing with that. Then next time its somewhere else. Its like knots that get tied in different places. Right or left leg, hip, back, foot, etc. All connected through Sciatic nerve.

• Wow
Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree with Kassian but I don’t remember Maroon cashing in. Pretty sure he signed dirt cheap with St. Louis to be close to his kid.

There were also many people who thought Barrie would cash in after leading all D in league scoring. But turns out there wasn’t much of a market for him either. Kane a more recent example.
Maroon cashed in proverbially scoring 27 goals and parlaying it to free agency and around 3 subsequent cup wins as a sought after player that got to choose where he wanted to go to.

Maroon upped his resume here and then some. I also respect he didn't go looking for the most money, just solid teams to play on and in places that made sense for his family.

The big rig has always been one of my favorites.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Maroon cashed in proverbially scoring 27 goals and parlaying it to free agency and around 3 subsequent cup wins as a sought after player that got to choose where he wanted to go to.

Maroon upped his resume here and then some. I also respect he didn't go looking for the most money, just solid teams to play on and in places that made sense for his family.

Big rig scores the biggest and timeliest goals too. Not every hockey player needs to play a 200' game to make a difference.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Imagine thinking Adam Lowry will save the franchise
Adam Lowry would be a huge upgrade for the Edmonton Oilers and they would win more in the playoffs because he plays playoff hockey. The defence, goaltending and pk would get a tremendous boost. Fantastic player at his position who would an amazing addition.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
lol dark post man.

hope you're feeling better soon. Shoulder and hip would be painful. You probably got all the associated nerve pains shooting up and around. Where it stops nobody knows.

I have sciatica pain that just randomly lands somewhere and then I'm dealing with that. Then next time its somewhere else. Its like knots that get tied in different places. Right or left leg, hip, back, foot, etc. All connected through Sciatic nerve.
That Sciatic is a bitch. Women cleaning ya in a divorce r nicer. Only thing fixes it is booze

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

He originally did go looking for money and then fired his agent for blatantly blowing it and turning down a decent offer thinking he could get more.

Maroon didn’t cash in.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That Sciatic is a bitch. Women cleaning ya in a divorce r nicer. Only thing fixes it is booze
I'm fortunate enough with mine that I had an excellent Rehab physio and doctor that recommended all these exercises that really work well for me. I do the exercises as much as I can which is easier than living with the pain. My condition is actually improving the last number of years which is rare. I've limited the disc degeneration and the pain symptoms. They still come now and again but more and more have an idea of what activities are helpful with the condition, and which are not advised. Back problems run in my family. Everybody had em.

He originally did go looking for money and then fired his agent for blatantly blowing it and turning down a decent offer thinking he could get more.

Maroon didn’t cash in.
I was just playing at it really. Just that he really benefitted from being here, and that he demonstrated he could be a better player than people had thought. A guy that can be up and down the lineup and even play with some skill. Still, all these guys cash in compared to what we make. heh

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You make a good point but I have to think Holland knows what hes going to sign Yamamoto for or at least what it will take to sign him.

I am sure he has a bunch of balls up in the air (mainly Foegele, Yamamoto and JP). He may even have some others that we are unaware of.

Hopefully hes assessing all situations. I cant personally see him moving Yamamoto but if hes the guy thats only returning an asset that hes comfortable with, you never know. I could see it almost play out like a Bjorkstrom scenerio. I am sure Jarmo didnt want to move him but moving anyone else would of cost him a bunch of assets. Considering how dead locked everything is right now, its probably safe to assume that Foegele is going to cost an asset to move him. (Even though I dont think hes really a negative asset - the market is just seized up).

I am a bit surprised on how slow all of this has dragged out though. Its honestly not a good situation for the team. (There are lots of other teams in the same boat as us - some of them much worse). Who knows what will happen or who moves though. Should find out soon enough. Least we will have something to talk about actually.
Personally, I wouldn't hate it if they rid of all three of Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and Foegele for whatever and use the freed up cap for cheaper forwards and focus on upgrading the defense. It might suck from an asset management standpoint to sell low on these guys but if they're clogging up too much cap at positions that are easily expendable then... time to cut bait and fill positions of bigger need.
Lets be honest, none of these guys are needle movers and really won't be missed that much tbh, not at their prices.

Reactions: Oilhawks

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Adam Lowry would be a huge upgrade for the Edmonton Oilers and they would win more in the playoffs because he plays playoff hockey. The defence, goaltending and pk would get a tremendous boost. Fantastic player at his position who would an amazing addition.
A player like that is almost equal to adding a second pairing defenseman. They just impact the game in so many areas. You don't even need to get significant offense for that type of add to be a win.

People scoff at the idea of valuing a legitimate 3C over productive top six options, but the 3C is probably the guy who's going to be seeing the ice as much as an RNH or a Hyman over a full game, all situations.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
A player like that is almost equal to adding a second pairing defenseman. They just impact the game in so many areas. You don't even need to get significant offense for that type of add to be a win.

People scoff at the idea of valuing a legitimate 3C over productive top six options, but the 3C is probably the guy who's going to be seeing the ice as much as an RNH or a Hyman over a full game, all situations.

Why don't they just use RNH and McLeod as the 3C?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Personally, I wouldn't hate it if they rid of all three of Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and Foegele for whatever and use the freed up cap for cheaper forwards and focus on upgrading the defense. It might suck from an asset management standpoint to sell low on these guys but if they're clogging up too much cap at positions that are easily expendable then... time to cut bait and fill positions of bigger need.
Lets be honest, none of these guys are needle movers and really won't be missed that much tbh, not at their prices.
This might be the best approach. Kessel on a cheap deal to buy Bourgault a year of development in the AHL and our top 6 is fine. If we can deal Puljujarvi/Yamo/Foegele for some 1-2 million dollar players who fill bottom 6 and PK roles we come out ahead.

Players like Michael McLeod (RH faceoff and PK), Derek Grant, Austin Watson, or Jake Evans. Puljujarvi for Evans. Yamo for McLeod/Grant. Foegele for Watson. Maybe we can get a mid round pick or two added as well.

Kane McDavid Hyman
RNH Draisaitl Kessel
Holloway R McLeod Evans
Janmark M McLeod/Grant Watson
Ryan
Shore

Those trade targets will actually embrace a bottom 6/pk role and we will be better for it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This might be the best approach. Kessel on a cheap deal to buy Bourgault a year of development in the AHL and our top 6 is fine. If we can deal Puljujarvi/Yamo/Foegele for some 1-2 million dollar players who fill bottom 6 and PK roles we come out ahead.

Players like Michael McLeod (RH faceoff and PK), Derek Grant, Austin Watson, or Jake Evans. Puljujarvi for Evans. Yamo for McLeod/Grant. Foegele for Watson. Maybe we can get a mid round pick or two added as well.

Kane McDavid Hyman
RNH Draisaitl Kessel
Holloway R McLeod Evans
Janmark M McLeod/Grant Watson
Ryan
Shore

Those trade targets will actually embrace a bottom 6/pk role and we will be better for it.
Well, McLeod won't be traded anytime soon for obvious reasons (the Hockey Canada scandal) but, yeah, Kessel and a 4C is along the lines of what I was thinking.

Say that they move all 3 with no salary coming back (a sweetener in the case of Foegele) and picks for Yamamoto and Puljujarvi to recoup the pick they lost to unload Foegele, that's approximately 3m of cap space not including LTIR. Use that 3m for Kessel and 4C and you have pretty much the entire LTIR pool to work with to maybe bring in another winger/Dman instead of spending 9m on highly inconsistent middle 6 forwards that are 3rd wheels on their line.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Here’s our ALL IN move for the McDrai window, as accepted by the Yotes fanbase:

Chychrun (50%)

For

1st
Broberg
Bourgault
Foegele
Ryan

Holloway replaces Foegele.
We sign Kessel for 1.25M to replace Ryan (who’s not a natural wing anyways). Our Let’s-Beat-the-Avs lineup for 2023:

Kane-McD-Pool
Hyman-Drai-Yams
Holloway-Nuge-Kessel
Janmark-McCleod-Shore

Nurse-Bouchard
Chychrun-Ceci
Kulak-Barrie

Campbell
Skinner

Improved bottom 6. Improved D core. Improved goaltending. Yes, we lose straight across value in this trade. What does everyone think?
Barf....absolute garbage proposal.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Imagine getting paid $5M annually to make it past the second round once with the two best players in the world and then getting white knighted for it. Odd.
Imagine getting fired for making the playoffs every season you've been on the job, making the final 4 in a 32 team league when only 8 teams in the league made the final 4 in the same time period and you just had the best regular season record since the 1987 dynasty teams.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Imagine getting fired for making the playoffs every season you've been on the job, making the final 4 in a 32 team league when only 8 teams in the league made the final 4 in the same time period and you just had the best regular season record since the 1987 dynasty teams.

Takes a team from missing the playoffs all the time to a contender in 3 years.

giphy.gif

Reactions: LaGu and oilers'72

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Yes, not only does the overall defence, goaltending and pk improve but there is a grinding physical aspect with a big third line center. A big center like that punishes the other teams top players. Big hits and battles along the boards are important but the toll paid in the faceoff circle, high slot and net front is exhausting for skilled players particularly when they are smaller.

With all the talk about Mark Messier and his family ask the Moose about playing against Joel Otto. Part of Messier's greatness was the ability to line up against Otto and match him physically shift after shift. Year after year. You'll never get that out of RNH or McLeod.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Puljujarvi didn't ask for another trade
Report: Jesse Puljujarvi has not asked for a trade from the Edmonton Oilers

being open to a trade is completely different then asking for a trade.

It just means that Puljujarvi is content in being an Oiler but if he was traded, there would be no hard feelings against the club.
I think it's a much more mature approach compared to what happened when he was struggling several years ago (development issues because of management at the time) and asked for a trade.
Not to discount the trade rumors around him now but it's important to reiterate that he didn't ask out. Saying that he did again is disingenuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad