Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | How Likely Are Trades Out of the North Division?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proko88

May 6, 2010
So with 25 mil in cap space at the end of this season, who do we spend it on? My thoughts are:
8 mil- Hamilton (leads the way for Bouchard and Broberg)
7-8 mil- Hall
5 mil- #1 goalie (one of Columbus’ ?)
Resign yam
Thoughts?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Really surprising Ottawa doesn't claim DeAngelo. You're telling me they couldn't use an influx of talent in that roster? He would've led their team last season in scoring.

I get he's a hot head, but he's also a cost-controlled elite offensive defenseman. How does DeAngelo react to getting punched in the face by his captain and immediately fired by his employer? Sit him down, get his perspective and give him an opportunity to clear the air with his new teammates.
Do you really want the young core exposed to the filth?
Chabot doesnt need tips from a guy like him neither do Stutzle, Batherson, Forementon etc.

He also make too much money for OTT ownership to be interested.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
We're not a Jones away from competing from a Cup, and he's a UFA at the end of next year that in no way shape or form will stay in Canada.

That's just throwing away 4 strong assets to try to win a Cup next year. Remember how awful we were after Lowe went all in on a cup in 06 then all the free agents left?
We know he's in no way shape or form staying in Canada because... ? Nuge is a pending UFA, he could just as easily walk the same as you're talking about Jones. (Wouldn't be surprising based on how negotiations have been going so far) At least there is an extra year on Jones' contract. JP's value is known to be at most a 2nd round pick and Bouchard is a 1st rounder that can't even crack the lineup of possibly the worst defense in the league. If that package was offered to CBJ they would laugh hysterically and hang up the phone. Absolute craziness.

Reactions: Draiskull

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Can't have conditions based on whether players sign or not anymore.

And that's a hell of a lot for a guy that would walk from us at the end of next season.
Fair enough.
Without the conditional 1st it would be an underpayment for someone like Jones.
RNH pending UFA
Puljuarvi is worth like a 2nd rd pick at most
Bouchard would sting but thats the price you pay to outbid others.

Right side of Jones, Bear, Barrie would be very good the next couple seasons. With Caleb on the team getting him to extend might be easier as well.

Hopefully Bouchard suits up tomorrow and shows he still got top pairing potential shutting me up.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We know he's in no way shape or form staying in Canada because... ? Nuge is a pending UFA, he could just as easily walk the same as you're talking about Jones. (Wouldn't be surprising based on how negotiations have been going so far) At least there is an extra year on Jones' contract. JP's value is known to be at most a 2nd round pick and Bouchard is a 1st rounder that can't even crack the lineup of possibly the worst defense in the league. If that package was offered to CBJ they would laugh hysterically and hang up the phone. Absolute craziness.

Jones has been brutal this season and he’s the poster boy for “eye test loves, analytics hates. He won’t stay because he’s a Trumper from Texas that loves Murica. I don’t care if Columbus laughs at it or not, he’s an awful target for this team - who, by the way, doesn’t have a Werenski to pair with him, either.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think 'toxic' personalities are a lot more common in the NHL than we care to admit.

Also, how is it not PR? He's a known problem player who was just given away by his hockey team. He'll be a story for your team all season.

But the point is his behaviour is what they don’t want in their locker room.

It’s not just about public perception. If it was he never would have received any second chances after his racist incidents in junior.

Sure there could be a number of toxic people in the NHL but the one we’re talking about and know about is DeAngelo.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I find it crazy the ends Oilers fans will go to resist the thought of the Oilers trading for a #1 dman. We haven't had one since Pronger and it shows. Do you think we'd be able to throw Kassian and Chiasson at CBJ to get them to trade us Jones?
Not having good dmen is staring us in the face and losing us games, yet people would still be upset if we got good D lol. That still has to be combined with good team defence. Good D also makes goalies better. D should be the only thing on Hollands mind when he is trying to upgrade and then depth on top.

I am not talking about that d bag from Ny either. He can even play D

Reactions: Ninety7

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
So with 25 mil in cap space at the end of this season, who do we spend it on? My thoughts are:
8 mil- Hamilton (leads the way for Bouchard and Broberg)
7-8 mil- Hall
5 mil- #1 goalie (one of Columbus’ ?)
Resign yam
Thoughts?
HELL NO to 7-8 Million to Hall. Where do you come up with that # in a flat cap? I would offer Hall 7 tops and then Nuge is gone. That money goes to Hall

Reactions: Proko88

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
HELL NO to 7-8 Million to Hall. Where do you come up with that # in a flat cap? I would offer Hall 7 tops and then Nuge is gone. That money goes to Hall

I would do backflips if we got Hamilton for $8 million (Note: I cannot do backflips, even with trampoline assistance). But sadly this isn't going to happen.

Reactions: Proko88

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
We're not a Jones away from competing from a Cup, and he's a UFA at the end of next year that in no way shape or form will stay in Canada.

That's just throwing away 4 strong assets to try to win a Cup next year. Remember how awful we were after Lowe went all in on a cup in 06 then all the free agents left?
Couple points here:

1) I think we are a Jones away from being a cup contender. He is the one major missing piece, everything else we as fans would want I'd consider more of a luxury (another winger, better 3C, a top 10 goalie). He'd push everyone down the lineup into their correct places, and having him on the ice for nearly half the game of every game would be huge defensively.

2) I think there's a chance the Oilers could sell themselves to Jones. His brother plays for the team. This is a team with arguably the 2 best players in the entire NHL and in desperate need of a #1 dman. Holland could pitch to him that he'd have to potential to be the Letang to Crosby/Malkin, the Doughty to Kopitar/Carter, the Keith to Kane/Toews- all of whom went on to win 2+ cups. Jones is a top athlete and undoubtably wants to win and there is no core he completes better than the Oilers. Coming to Edmonton would be the kind of move where Jones is eyeing multiple cups rather than just winning some playoffs series in a warm city. Also in terms of personal success getting PP1 minutes with McDrai could get him enough offense to be in the Norris conversation.

Edmonton probably won't be his first choice, but I wouldn't say "no shape or form he stays in Canada". There would be some appeal that I'm sure he and his agent would consider. Even considering his political affliations most America's large cities (the ones with NHL teams) lean pretty heavily left. Only the rural regions are hard right, and they don't have hockey teams, so I wouldn't expect that to be a massive factor in his decision making process.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If we weren't the team we were today and we were a bottom dweller with available cap space, I wouldn't be against picking him up either. If you have a strong voice in the room, a guy like him gets put in his place. Darnell would f***. him. up.

You have to trust that your coach has the ability to put people in a situation to be the best player possible. A team with a low bar is a perfect situation for a guy who scored among the elites a season ago. The further you send him down the depth chart, the more difficult it is to sustain that level of production.

Him clearing is another example of GMs in this league being idiots and teams being too worried about public relations.

I think there’s a couple factors playing into it for teams in regards to Deangelo but I do agree with you that if you legit think a player can help your team then you shouldn’t be concerned about the public relations aspect. People these days have the attention spans of a 2x4. The outrage would last all of 5 minutes before people found something else to be outraged about.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
The circus act that Ken Holland has tried to pull just to keep William Lagesson...am I missing something here?

Losing Lagesson would be...not that important? We have a million LHD. Lagesson is a 7D at best, and we have waived a handful of guys and lost Forsberg due to a weird obsession with losing him.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think there’s a couple factors playing into it for teams in regards to Deangelo but I do agree with you that if you legit think a player can help your team then you shouldn’t be concerned about the public relations aspect. People these days have the attention spans of a 2x4. The outrage would last all of 5 minutes before people found something else to be outraged about.
I think he's in a bad situation in NY. Not only are there the underlying issues regarding his behavior and his relationships on the team. He's losing his opportunities on the ice falling behind guys on the depth chart. How do you allow a player like that to rebound when there's no opportunity for him?

I think there are a lot of players in this league with difficult personalities. You have to deal with them differently. But when you're talking about actual performance, you need to put your players in a position to succeed.

This is why I could see a place like Ottawa being a better environment for him in the short term. And as short term risk, I didn't really see the downside for them because I think that DeAngelo is a productive player that would have been an attractive asset on the rental market had he proven his worth in Ottawa.

I see a team signing him if he's bought out in the summer. And I see him thriving offensively if he's given the opportunity elsewhere. He's a skilled player. He's just a really dumb, outspoken person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad