Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Here Comes FA! (Warning in Post #471)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I hate how every GM is scared to make move in this day and age. Much prefer the NBA in that regard.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If we don't get anyone this off season it's not the worst idea

I sincerely think it is the worst idea. If Nurse/Reinhart aren't ready to actually play and contribute effectively at the NHL level they need to be in the AHL where they can play appropriate minutes and not get overwhelmed.

Now if they come into camp and blow the doors off and look legitimately NHL ready than by all means they can play. And by legitimately NHL ready I don't just mean better than someone like Ference/Gryba who are barely NHLers.

We can't just keep throwing kids to the wolves and thinking it's going to work out. Development isn't that easy. Haven't we learned that by now?

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I sincerely think it is the worst idea. If Nurse/Reinhart aren't ready to actually play and contribute effectively at the NHL level they need to be in the AHL where they can play appropriate minutes and not get overwhelmed.

Now if they come into camp and blow the doors off and look legitimately NHL ready than by all means they can play. And by legitimately NHL ready I don't just mean better than someone like Ference/Gryba who are barely NHLers.

We can't just keep throwing kids to the wolves and thinking it's going to work out. Development isn't that easy. Haven't we learned that by now?

Agreed 100%. I'd rather sign a couple journeyman D to fill out our roster rather than put Nurse/Reinhart into a position where they won't be able to develop properly.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So were Gio and Brodie.

Not at the same time. The have always had a solid vet presence there the past few years.

Thats the difference with the Oilers...a lack of quality veteran leadership on D. They seem to want to grow a young defence at the same time.

Very risky strategy and not likely to work. A player like Seabrook or even a lesser quality veteran dman is desperately needed here.

Feb 9, 2013
The concern for me is if these players have it in them to play a heavier style for an extended period of time.
I am not so sure players like Eberle, Hall, Schultz et al are capable of that over the long term.

Doesn't 'our' team favor players that play a "heavier style" now? If they are not capable of it maybe they become expendable.

Funny, the team mentions "playing heavier on the puck" and all of a sudden its a concern. In the past it was speed and skill and the 'new' NHL.

For a long time people on these boards knew that the Oilers needed to get harder to play against.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So anyone want to bet that the SJ first rounder to BOS becomes Austin Matthews? :laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well so much for screwing up the relationship with Gio, if anything Gio might be forced to take less now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No team with good D got them just by falling out the sky. They actually had to be competent at trading and developing prospects which the Oilers, hopefully only prior to the Chia years, have not been.

Exactly.

Excuse should be done now. Time for results.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Will be interesting to see what (if anything) happens over the next few weeks. I still think there will be a couple additions/changes.

Anybody know by what date normally all trading/free agent signing activities levels off? I thought there was a date in late July, when historically, very few deals/signings occur afterwards.
Trades involving actual NHLers...

Last year the last NHL trade was July 2nd. Then nothing until October when the Islanders picked up Leddy/Boychuk
2013 it was July 10th with David Perron and then nothing until training camp
2012 July 23rd with Rick Nash
2011 July 11 and then a couple minor trades in late August.

So usually seems around mid July things stop. Then don't start again until training camp.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
But he is not bad defensively, for the way he plays the game he does not need to be physical. He is more cerebral.

Some Bruins fans might disagree. I am only going on what I have seen and by what they have written. I can't claim to be an expert on Hamilton.

And any large body D that doesn't have some physicality to their game is always going to leave fans wanting more.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
We got a top pick given to us. The Flames got a potentially #1 dman given to them. It's a wash

First off all they still had to give up picks. As much as it was a steal they paid something. Second his cheap cap his is done, we got Connor at 3 years of 3.75 mill. Finally Connor is a lot better than Hamilton.

That said I do agree with your sentiment, sort off, sucks the Flames got such a gift.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Doesn't 'our' team favor players that play a "heavier style" now? If they are not capable of it maybe they become expendable.

Funny, the team mentions "playing heavier on the puck" and all of a sudden its a concern. In the past it was speed and skill and the 'new' NHL.

For a long time people on these boards knew that the Oilers needed to get harder to play against.

I have always been concerned about the lack of balance with the Oiler forwards...too many of the same type of players.

You might be right about changes though except thats likely going to have to include a core player. That will be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of fans.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Trades involving actual NHLers...

Last year the last NHL trade was July 2nd. Then nothing until October when the Islanders picked up Leddy/Boychuk
2013 it was July 10th with David Perron and then nothing until training camp
2012 July 23rd with Rick Nash
2011 July 11 and then a couple trades in late August.

So usually seems around mid July things stop. Then don't start again until training camp.

I remember that when we signed Souray it was quite late as well...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hamilton more or less fell out of the sky. To say the flames weren't at least a little fortunate is shortsighted

Hamilton didnt fall out of the sky. You are thinking of McDavid.

Burke had to actually go out and get Hamilton and the Oilers offer was questionably better depending on who you talk to..

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
First off all they still had to give up picks. As much as it was a steal they paid something. Second his cheap cap his is done, we got Connor at 3 years of 3.75 mill. Finally Connor is a lot better than Hamilton.

That said I do agree with your sentiment, sort off, sucks the Flames got such a gift.

I'm excited about McDavid like most here, but he hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet. Hamilton is already seasoned in the NHL, and able to play top pairing minutes. I would suggest Hamilton will have a bigger impact this next upcoming season compared to McDavid.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I don't think we can get a D without significantly overpaying. Mike Green will demand $6-6.5 on a 6+ long deal. Franson probably around $5.5, again on a long deal. Oduya?

Oduya/Michalek would be great as well. Agreed that Green/Franson are going to get overpaid though.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think we can get a D without significantly overpaying. Mike Green will demand $6-6.5 on a 6+ long deal. Franson probably around $5.5, again on a long deal. Oduya?

You always over pay for UFAs. That is the cost of getting players for no assets other than money/capspace.

I am hoping we overpay for some UFAs this year. It would mean we actually stand a chance of getting some of them signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad