Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Here Comes FA! (Warning in Post #471)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Until we actually see what he does in the NHL, I'm not banking on him having that kind of impact. And even if he does get into the top 10 of scoring, he's still a rookie and there will all kinds of growing pains in other aspects of the game.

Again, I'm confident McDavid will become an impact player. However, for this Oilers team, if I could choose between McDavid or Hamilton for only 1 year, I'd take Hamilton. Long term, totally different story.
A player as smart, fast and skilled as McDavid will have very limited growing pains and at worst will look like Taylor hall

Feb 9, 2013
Not necessarily okay, but Sather will always have Edmonton as a home. You have to love a guy who, no matter the longevity of his current engagement with another franchise still shows favoritism to his old club.

What'a'guy.

So, he should trade 'us' Yandle and McIlrath for Schultz and Ference. ;)

McDeathbyCheerios*

A lot of teams are really quiet right now...must be a few deals in the works.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Until we actually see what he does in the NHL, I'm not banking on him having that kind of impact. And even if he does get into the top 10 of scoring, he's still a rookie and there will all kinds of growing pains in other aspects of the game.

Again, I'm confident McDavid will become an impact player. However, for this Oilers team, if I could choose between McDavid or Hamilton for only 1 year, I'd take Hamilton. Long term, totally different story.

You should expect McDavid to walk into the league and score at least 70 points next season.

This isn't a controversial opinion:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mcdavid-could-be-top-10-in-nhl-scoring-as-oilers-rookie/

Generational talents don't follow normal development curves.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Mcquaid + Rinaldo + Lucic (salary retained) is more expensive than $5.75M/yr LOL.

Anyways, yes...moving on..

I think someone will sign Semin to see if he can rebound, but they will be hesitant about term.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Imo nurse is probably aa better skater than anyone we could get in fa and likely nastier too.

It's possible he could be sheltered and still develop in the nhl. It might be the best thing for the team, imo. As for reinhart he could be versatile enough to play anywhere.

I assume the plan is to push reinhart and nurse to take jobs from ference and Nikitin but to play the latter unless they really cost the team games.

I predict by february

Klefbom-schultz/trade
Reinhart_fayne
Nurse-gryba

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Imo nurse is probably aa better skater than anyone we could get in fa and likely nastier too.

It's possible he could be sheltered and still develop in the nhl. It might be the best thing for the team, imo. As for reinhart he could be versatile enough to play anywhere.

I assume the plan is to push reinhart and nurse to take jobs from ference and Nikitin but to play the latter unless they really cost the team games.

I predict by february

Klefbom-schultz/trade
Reinhart_fayne
Nurse-gryba

If that's the lineup next season then I'll be happy to make the Fire Chia thread

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hope you're right... but going from junior to the NHL is no easy task.

The one good thing and it's a bit of a stretch, but Eichel did quite well in the WC. Now it's not McDavid and it's not the NHL, but if they are at the very least equals that would bode well for McDavid going into the NHL next year.

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
At what point do we worry about actually fielding a complete (or complete as can be) team rather than having an albatross contract?

We've waited for the 'right defensemen' for years and its lead us nowhere. We can't field a green D and waste the first year of McDavid's ELC.

We have to trade for one, plain and simple. And to get one we want, it likely means giving up one of the young forwards. The Hamilton deal was an anomoly; those guys don't get dealt for picks everyday.

Hopefully there is some traction to this Shattenkirk talk. Can't imagine why STL would do it, but maybe they parlay Oshie/Berglund/Backes into a D and then would be willing to move Shattenkirk.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If that's the lineup next season then I'll be happy to make the Fire Chia thread

Looks fine to me without Schultz on top pairing part..

Klefbom-(Green\Byfuglien\Burns\Seabrook\Shattenkirk\Weber)
Reinhart-(Fayne\Schultz)
Nurse-Gryba

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Calgary :sarcasm:
Only if the Oilers are interested of course

It's so wierd for them to always be mentioned going for the same player as us.
Like a annoying little brother that wants exactly what big bro wants.
Like they were even trades talks for Mike Richards! Granted im not really sure why
the oilers wanted richards but why would calgary want him and with that salary?

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Hamilton is going to thrive in Calgary. Assuming Giordano is healthy for the season he'll be playing with or behind one of the top 5 defenders in the league.

I will be interested in seeing how he handles the much larger and heavier Western Conference. That'd be the only thing I'm not confident about with him.

RCee

Oilers Anointed One
Apr 22, 2015
Heaven sent
The way I see it. Connor McDavid now has the opportunity to spin Hamilton silly in the D-zone for 6 looong years and also drive Calgary fans crazy. So I'm not too concerned. :)

Calgary gets Hamilton for 6 x 5.75M? Why Yes please, more juicy "#1D" to have CM make look silly as he blows by them. *evil grin*

2Sedins0Cups

Clever ain't wise.
Jul 29, 2013
Edmonton
Is something not fishy with Hamilton's extension? Why wouldn't his agent wait for a much larger offer sheet? Makes no sense to sign now. It was inevitably coming. And we're supposed to believe they weren't allowed to talk contract?

LightWeight

Apr 29, 2010
At what point do we worry about actually fielding a complete (or complete as can be) team rather than having an albatross contract?

We've waited for the 'right defensemen' for years and its lead us nowhere. We can't field a green D and waste the first year of McDavid's ELC.

Agreed, players like McDavid do not come around often, we shouldnt waste a single year that we are lucky enough to have him in our lineup.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It's so wierd for them to always be mentioned going for the same player as us.
Like a annoying little brother that wants exactly what big bro wants.
Like they were even trades talks for Mike Richards! Granted im not really sure why
the oilers wanted richards but why would calgary want him and with that salary?

We wanted JBo but they got him.. we wanted Monahan but they got him..
We wanted Talbot but they became an option even though they had 2 goalies.
Having said that at that price 29 teams wanted Hamilton but Flames got him. I doubt him going to CGY has anything to do with Oilers.. Us complaining about CGY landing him is like TML complaining about us winning the lottory.. Lets man up and get past Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad