Rumor: Rumor: Calgary Flames eyeing top six forward in big trade

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
http://www.hockeyfeed.com/rumor-calgary-flames-eyeing-top-six-forward-in-big-trade/

"After overachieving in a major way this season many have wondered what exactly the Calgary Flames intend to do in order to make the next step.

The Flames are arguably one of the deeper teams in the league, but they lack that veteran star forward on offense and there’s a belief that’s where they will look to improve in the offseason. With that in mind Scott Cullen of TSN recently suggested in a recent report that the Flames may be looking at Milan Lucic as a possible candidate to fill that role.

It’s not hard to see how this move could work out for both sides, the Bruins are currently a cap strapped team who are at risk of losing star RFA Dougie Hamilton to an offer sheet and trading Lucic would take $6 million dollars of their books making the threat of losing Hamilton to an offer sheet a thing of the past.

Meanwhile Calgary adds a proven veteran who’s won a championship to their offense and as one of the team’s with the lowest amount of salary in the National Hockey League they could easily accommodate the Lucic contract.

So what could the Boston Bruins be asking for in exchange?

While Mullen didn’t mention what would be going back the other way in his article a recent report from Fansided has suggested that the price could be defenseman Tyler Wotherspoon and last year’s first round pick for Calgary, forward Emile Poirier.

They may not exactly be household names they are both considered valuable prospects and both carry a cap hit under $1 million dollars which could give Boston some flexibility to make moves in the offseason."

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Exactly the kind of rumors you want to hear. Even if it has no merit or the talent swap isn't fair, it's good to let teams know we are listening.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
What else do we need to add to get Giordano? (although defeats the purpose of selling Lucic for cap space)

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
What else do we need to add to get Giordano? (although defeats the purpose of selling Lucic for cap space)

They're not giving us Giordano. They're building their entire D core around him.

As for the article... interesting. This is the kind of move the B's have to make, IMHO, use Eriksson or Lucic to get young talents on both F and D, both with upside.

I'm just not sold on this trade-- players haven't been on my radar and I think Lucic should be able to return a bigger name. And I'd much rather move Eriksson than Lucic but then... it's tough.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Anyone else find this insulting...

I hope Sweeney signs Lucic to a 4 year 6 mill per year deal soon so this can all stop!

Lucic is only 27 and has average 50pts per 82 games since he was 18. 60pts in the last 5 seasons. Yes he had a down year last year with 44pts but his main side kick Krejci was out the majority of the year. He was really good in the second half.

I still believe he can be a top 5 power forward that can put up 60+ Pts and kick some butt. That is worth keeping at 6mill to me

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
One of Calgary's first, Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett or Brodie has to be in play for me to want to do this.

Calgary is not going to give up any of those players so it would depend on if they're willing to move their 2015 1st

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Why? Poirier is a highly touted prospect and Wotherspoon isn't too shabby himself. If you check the trade boards Calgary flames want nothing to do with trading Poirier.

Admit, I just briefly looked them up before posting, not having seen them play, but Lucic should bring back something proven, no?

Lucic may cost an arm and a leg, but he's in his prime, and has shown the ability to have a huge impact on the game.

If you think Poirier is a lock to be least on par with Lucic, then it's a little more intriguing I suppose...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'd want more from Calgary.

Brodie and Poirier.

CGY 2015 1st, Poirier, Wotherspoon.

Something along those lines.

Hopefully, it's more teams than just Calgary interested and it will start a bidding war.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
This "rumour" has about as much legitimacy as anything in the Trade Proposal thread.

This is a fantasy expert, making a fantasy deal, and 2 fan bloggers, re-writing said fantasy bloggers work in their own words.

jdz

May 22, 2013
How do they suck when they had a better year than we did and have a much brighter future?

They had a better year than us because our whole core was pretty much injured or massively underdone for a large part of the season, Lucic included.

Meh on this whole topic. Re-sign Lucic.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I love Poirier's speed, Id have to think hard about this. Lucic is such an important part of this team when he's on, but like many have said, how often is that, really?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I hope Sweeney signs Lucic to a 4 year 6 mill per year deal soon so this can all stop!

Lucic is only 27 and has average 50pts per 82 games since he was 18. 60pts in the last 5 seasons. Yes he had a down year last year with 44pts but his main side kick Krejci was out the majority of the year. He was really good in the second half.

I still believe he can be a top 5 power forward that can put up 60+ Pts and kick some butt. That is worth keeping at 6mill to me

I have been leading the trade Lucic train since last summer, but yes I'd be absolutely happy if they could resign him for 4 years at 6 million. I suspect it would be high for the last year or two, but worth it anyway.

I would be STUNNED if Lucic took that. Right now 6/42 would be considered a hometown discount deal, and yes I would rather deal him than give him 6/42

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Ha ha I thought same thing- add 15th pick and still wouldn't get it done for me

I hope that's the way other teams think too, because it means that they are overestimating him, and will pay more.

Dan, I know you want to keep him at least until the deadline, but much like Soderberg, Kelly, Sides, etc., this past year, I expect the B's to be in the playoff hunt, so they are not going to be able to move Lucic (or Loui) without significant fallout.

Then you are looking at (bare minimum) a 5yr $32.5-35m deal for Lucic, (which is still too much for what he's been giving you) and a 3yr $15m deal for Loui. So you watch at least one and maybe both walk out the door with nothing to show for them, and a couple of holes to fill.

I'm not talking about a Boychuk deal for two 2nds. If a team wants Lucic, they need to make a run at him hard, and the B's need to maximize the return. Otherwise, you move Loui, or Smith (plus) to someone for a Top 4 d-man and hold onto Lucic until the deadline. The danger is that he gives yet another uninspired performance this year and you get less than you could have at the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00