Rules & Rinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
I apologize if this has been asked & answered before, but I am curious about any planned differences between the NHL and the WHA as far as rink sizes or rules are concerned.

I think it would be a great draw to work with rinks that are sized for international play (as the NHL was once, long long ago) and/or institute rule changes considered too dramatic for the NHL to adopt in order to open up the play for skill players.

Can anyone direct me to information on this?

Thanks!

-khel

azhockey

Aug 26, 2003
chandler
home.netcom.com
I read previously thay OT was going to be 3 on 3 and then a shootout if necessary, I assume there is 4 on 4 during the game (I think this stuff is on thier site about 4 stories down).

I think no center line, modified offsides and icing rules also. I'm not sure about rink size as they will have to skate on whatever rinks they can get. I assume they are writing their official R&R's phamplet as we speak (maybe on bar napkins over a cocktail and beefbacker samwich meeting.)

Their President (Mr Young?) just finished a discussion on on AZ radio station, he does make it sound feasible and confident that it will take off, I was a bit impressed and will give them a chance if they land here.

Feb 12, 2003
AM 910 (Phoenix, AZ) Gambo & Ash yesterday had the President from the WHA on, and he was explaining the setup of the league.

-The Founders Team that drafted is an investment group in Vancouver who have yet to secure a lease agreement, but are checking on 3 different buildings there.
-"Someone" was inquiring about the availability of the America West Arena to bring a WHA team to Phoenix. The league has set a July 30th deadline for all teams to have their buildings and all of that in order to start play in November. I'm not even sure if there is an unclaimed team or who would be coming to Phoenix.
-Said that Jerry Collangelo had organized to bring a WHA team to fill the AWA when the Coyotes left, but since they are selling the Suns, AWA, and everything along with it, he backed out. Sounds like you can count out a Collangelo backed team.
-Each WHA gets a "transitional player" who can leave the WHA mid-season if the lockout with the NHL resolves and there is a season. Only 1 player per team can leave like this mid-season, every other player on all the teams must be contracted to play the full season in the WHA.
-Lots of talk about how there are some teams in the NHL with $20-something million budgets, so the WHA can succeed with a $15 million team cap.
-Only free agents were available to be drafted by the WHA, and also the 1 individual who is considered the transitional player.

NYI

Jul 19, 2004
I am not sure about the rules. but the WHA would be smart to play 4 on 4 all game. It would give the WHA a distinct feel, and have wide open hockey. Another advantage of this would be that you wouldn't have to have a 20 man roster. You could probably get by with a 17-18 man roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad