Rules named after player

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Bob Champoux Rule

The introduction of the mandatory two-goalie system.

Bob Champoux, first season pro, playing on a very weak Red Wing farm club was the only eligible goalie available to replace an injured Terry Sawchuk in a 1964 playoff game. Actually won the game then went back to the minors only to briefly resurface with the Golden Seals app ten seasons later.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/c/champbo01.html

Regardless by the 1965-66 season the NHL introduced the two-goalie system, mandating the teams dress two goalies for each RS and PO game.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was on my cell phone earlier

hanlen and bromley would leave their goalie sticks on the goal line--preventing a puck on the ice level from getting in--a player needed to shoot over their stick

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
I'm pretty sure that the rule that the goalie can't pass the center line dates back to circa 1960, and thus pre-dates Gary Smith.

He was, however, famous for testing the rule. I remember him bringing the puck up ice when he felt that his defensemen weren't getting that job done. I'll bet they loved that!

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Reijo Ruotsalainen rule - waiver rule for players coming from Europe mid-season

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Andrew Ference rule against blindside hits.

If you remember 2010 and how Cherry and Milbury spewed venom against courageous Ference's comments against a teammate's behavior and how the NHL quietly listened and changed the rules.

d3e79b0d3bd1f628dae6a5dc23096c50.jpg

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The Andrew Ference rule against blindside hits.

If you remember 2010 and how Cherry and Milbury spewed venom against courageous Ference's comments against a teammate's behavior and how the NHL quietly listened and changed the rules.

d3e79b0d3bd1f628dae6a5dc23096c50.jpg

Thats a good one

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
The Bill Durnan rule barring goalies from performing official captain duties. He left his crease so many times to argue calls that other teams were claiming he was giving Habs unnoficial timeouts.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
The AHL tweaked Rule 63.5 (now known as The David Leggio Rule) so that goaltenders will now be given a game misconduct instead of a penalty shot if they knock off their own net during a scoring chance.

Reactions: Brodeur

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
And this rule is? :naughty:

Player without contract coming to NA after having played in Europe after NHL season has started has to go through waivers if he signs NHL contract.

Nabokov to Red Wings is a good example, ended up to Islanders.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is before my time, but I heard fantasy drafts in the 80s had house rules such as Gretzky being ineligible to be picked.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
This is before my time, but I heard fantasy drafts in the 80s had house rules such as Gretzky being ineligible to be picked.

Or there would basically be two Gretzky's, one for just his goals and the other for just his assists.

Reactions: Boxscore

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Not a "rule" per se--but Pelle Lindbergh of the Philadelphia Flyers was the first goaltender to bring a water bottle to the crease and place it on top of his net--due to severe dehydration. After some complaints by opposing coaches and players, the NHL accepted this practice as a norm and all goaltenders started placing their own water bottles on their nets.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
In the pre-2005 days (possibly tweaked in 2003-04), NCAA bound players had to wait an extra year to be drafted in order to maintain the NCAA's nebulous label of being an amateur. So in those days, most of the NCAA picks were drafted at 19 years old. In 1997, Boston drafted University of Minnesota defenseman Ben Clymer. He missed most of 1997-98 with a shoulder injury then wanted to turn pro. For whatever reason, a contract wasn't worked out and Clymer joined the WHL as an overager. When Boston didn't sign him before the 1999 Draft, Clymer was now 21 and became an unrestricted free agent. I think Boston put up a fight behind the scenes and the NHL gave them a compensatory pick even though Clymer hadn't been technically a first rounder in 1997. Clymer proceeded to sign a relatively large rookie contract with Tampa.

1998 first rounder Mike Van Ryn followed Clymer's lead. He left the University of Michigan after his sophomore year and played in the OHL during his overage year. Lou Lamoriello remained firm on his contract offer (~650K) and Van Ryn refused to sign. It was a months long saga during the spring of 2000 (as the Devils were en route to a Cup), but an arbitrator eventually ruled for Van Ryn. St. Louis would eventually sign Van Ryn for 1.025 million (slightly more than the rookie salary cap).

Comrie takes control of his hockey fate

It was always interesting to me that the loophole was known as the "Mike Van Ryn Rule" even though he wasn't the first to use it, although it's probably because the Devils put up a bigger public fight.

It appears that part of the loophole was that a 21 year old back then wasn't subject to the rookie salary cap? Mike Comrie went this route to get leverage to get a big rookie deal from Edmonton which included a hefty signing bonus. The bonus came into play a few years later when Comrie was about to be traded to Anaheim for Corey Perry but Oilers GM Kevin Lowe demanded that Comrie return the signing bonus. When Comrie declined, Lowe pulled the plug on the trade.

Looks like the OHL had it's own Van Ryn rule as they didn't want more players going that path:

National Hockey League Players' Association and Anthony Aquino, Plaintiffs-appellees, v. Plymouth Whalers Hockey Club et al., Defendants-appellants, 325 F.3d 712 (6th Cir. 2003)

he OHL eligibility rules provide that each team may have only three twenty-year-old players, typically referred to as "overage" players. In addition to limiting the number of overage players, the OHL adopted a rule in August of 2000 under which any overage player signed by an OHL team must have been on a Canadian Hockey Association (CHA) or USA Hockey Player's Registration Certificate the previous season. This rule, commonly referred to as the Van Ryn Rule1 (also referred to as "the Rule"), effectively prevents OHL teams from signing any twenty-year-old United States college hockey players because the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) does not allow individuals holding a CHA or USA Hockey Player's Registration Certificate to play hockey at an NCAA school.

Anthony Aquino is a twenty-year-old hockey player who has been affected by the Van Ryn Rule. At age sixteen, Aquino, a Canadian citizen, was drafted by an OHL team, the Owen Sound Attack. Instead of playing for the Attack, Aquino chose to attend Merrimack College in Massachusetts. Aquino began playing hockey at Merrimack during the 1999-2000 season and played for three seasons. In June 2001, Aquino was drafted by the Dallas Stars, an NHL hockey team. During the 2001-2002 season, the Attack traded its rights to Aquino to the Oshawa Generals, another OHL team. While attending Merrimack College, Aquino was placed on the Generals' "protected list," which prevented Aquino from negotiating or signing with any other team in the CHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Not a "rule" per se--but Pelle Lindbergh of the Philadelphia Flyers was the first goaltender to bring a water bottle to the crease and place it on top of his net--due to severe dehydration. After some complaints by opposing coaches and players, the NHL accepted this practice as a norm and all goaltenders started placing their own water bottles on their nets.

Been listening to Iron Mike’s podcast recently? :)

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida

I remember that, for a short time, they put a water-bottle holder atop every net. It was elaborate enough that the first time I saw it, I guessed that it was some kind of high-tech puck detector! Lately, I just see the bottle sitting on the top netting. Simpler was better.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I remember that, for a short time, they put a water-bottle holder atop every net. It was elaborate enough that the first time I saw it, I guessed that it was some kind of high-tech puck detector! Lately, I just see the bottle sitting on the top netting. Simpler was better.

There’s actually a holder at the back of the net now but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone use it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad