Rule clarification

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I haven't seen the play in question and don't know if it applies in this case, but a lot of people don't realize that a goalie is allowed to play the puck in the restricted zone as long as he retains skate contact with the crease. The penalty is only to be called if the goalie has left his crease.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
NHL rulebook said:
27.8 Restricted Area – A goalkeeper shall not play the puck outside of the designated area behind the net. This area shall be defined by lines that begin six feet (6’) from either goal post and extend diagonally to points twenty-eight feet (28’) apart at the end boards. Should the goalkeeper play the puck outside of the designated area behind the goal line, a minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed. The determining factor shall be the position of the puck. The minor penalty will not be assessed when a goalkeeper plays the puck while maintaining skate contact with his goal crease.

Here is the rule.

BwoyHockeyfan8

Oct 20, 2016
Defintely out of the crease. I searched through the game day thread and they seem to agree it was a blown call. Just seemed very obvious to me he literally covered it in the trapezoid.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I haven't seen the play in question and don't know if it applies in this case, but a lot of people don't realize that a goalie is allowed to play the puck in the restricted zone as long as he retains skate contact with the crease. The penalty is only to be called if the goalie has left his crease.

It doesn't apply. Rinne was a good 5 feet outside the paint. If not more.

It was a missed call. **** happens.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They missed an obvious call from the worst rule in the rule book.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
They missed an obvious call from the worst rule in the rule book.

Put this rule and puck-over-the-glass delay of game in a cage and let them fight to the death.

Yeah. It was missed. Nothing changes, though.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Definitely a missed call and a fairly obvious one. Will a thread be starting for each missed call going forward?

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

He in no way had contact with the crease. It was a missed call.

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
I wouldn't mind seeing the rule change that if you are engaged in making the save and momentum of your save carries you out of your crease you can cover the picking the trapezoid as long as you do not use an extra push off to move further out of the crease.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I wouldn't mind seeing the rule change that if you are engaged in making the save and momentum of your save carries you out of your crease you can cover the picking the trapezoid as long as you do not use an extra push off to move further out of the crease.

That sounds needlessly complicated.

Rinne shouldn't have been allowed to play the puck. If he can't control his rebounds, he should suffer the conseuences ans not be allowed to bend the rules.

He should have left the puck be. The Duck were robbed of a scoring chance.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
As a Preds fan, we benefitted from the call. But I've always hated the trapezoid.

The league got rid of the two-line pass to increase offense, and then handcuffed the goalie's ability to gather pucks in the corner and fire them up ice to streaking skaters, or to create odd-job rushes on line changes.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
It's a shame we have to have threads where we question our understanding of the most simple rules just because the refs can't manage to make the easiest call in the rule book.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
As a Preds fan, we benefitted from the call. But I've always hated the trapezoid.

The league got rid of the two-line pass to increase offense, and then handcuffed the goalie's ability to gather pucks in the corner and fire them up ice to streaking skaters, or to create odd-job rushes on line changes.

The trapezoid rule is to make dump & chase easier. Goalies used to clear the zone too quickly. I like the rule. It was damn hard to beat the trap when the team also had a good stickhandling goalie.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

A couple years ago I posted a proposal that if they're going to keep the trapezoid, they should at least remove the rule for a team on a powerplay and give the goalie free reign to stretch the ice while his team is on a man advantage.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The second that play happened, I was like "wait, what the ****, he just touched the puck in the trapezoid". Couldn't believe that the refs missed it and none of the announcers on the broadcast I was watching noticed it. Very strange no one was conscious of it at the time. It was plain as day that Rinne touched it and you could tell he thought he was ****ed by the way he looked around right after doing it.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
A couple years ago I posted a proposal that if they're going to keep the trapezoid, they should at least remove the rule for a team on a powerplay and give the goalie free reign to stretch the ice while his team is on a man advantage.

Definitely don't think it served this purpose, but wasn't the original intention of the rule to allow for more offense from the attacking team by taking the ability for the goalie to handle the puck away?

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville

How about this:

The goalie can't play the puck in the trapezoid if he is the first player to touch the puck in the zone.

Meaning, he could not stop the puck behind the net, and then skate into the trapezoid. He can't chase the puck into the trapezoid if he mishandles it behind the net. He can, however, play the puck in the trapezoid if another player (for either team) has already played the puck in the zone.

I mean, if the goal is to allow dump and chase, why have a trapezoid at all? Just say the goalie can't play the puck behind the goal line.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
How about this:

The goalie can't play the puck in the trapezoid if he is the first player to touch the puck in the zone.

Meaning, he could not stop the puck behind the net, and then skate into the trapezoid. He can't chase the puck into the trapezoid if he mishandles it behind the net. He can, however, play the puck in the trapezoid if another player (for either team) has already played the puck in the zone.

I mean, if the goal is to allow dump and chase, why have a trapezoid at all? Just say the goalie can't play the puck behind the goal line.

I don't think the league would want to stop the goaltender from stopping the rims around the board, and pulling it away for their defensemen to handle easily. We see that play all the time, so it's easy to miss the impact, but that's a pretty important play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad