Rule Change: Dynamic Offside

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
This effectively makes it so the classic offside rule is in tact, but reviewing it becomes more about the original intent behind the Challenge. Getting rid of blatant offsides.
This maybe true but I don't see a solution here. Where do we draw the line?

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
This maybe true but I don't see a solution here. Where do we draw the line?

blueline.JPG

Right about here. Why do you ask?

blueinbigd

Mar 8, 2012
I like this for when a player is skating into the zone. If a player is straddling the blue line and he is trying to stay onside keeping his back skate on the ice then go with the original offside rule.

Mar 6, 2012
I think they should call offsides more like icing. If you were pretty close, it's not icing. No one is calling back an icing based on an inch here or there. The linesmen don't really care if you were a 1/2 inch behind the red line when you shot it. There isn't video review for icing.

Offsides should be the same. If you were close enough that it looked like it should be on sides, then fine. It is. We don't need to scrutinize skate blades being a fraction of inch this way or that. Who cares.

They don't need to go crazy and allow everything, but they should loosen up the standard. Just let the game flow. It will all even out, there will be more goals and less stoppages.

So much of the game is based on subjective calls from the refs anyway. It's so weird to me that they scrutinize certain rules so much more than others. Offsides? .25 inches over and boom, play over.

Icing? Penalties? Line changes? etc... All called way looser.

Last edited:

Tod

Mar 29, 2018
People are unhappy with how offside is called/reviewee. This is because the Offside Challenge has revealed how often players really are offside and it has taken away many goals.

Some want to change it so that a player must break the plane on the line. Personally, I feel this puts a larger burden on the linesmen. Judging a 3D plane is a lot harder to do than a 2D one at the speed this game is played. Yay, MORE challenges.

Another problem with having a constant 3D plane offside is we are right back at players pushing it to the limit.

Like the title suggests, why not introduce a Dynamic Offside that changes and can get the best of both worlds?

During normal play, an offside shall be judged the classic way. A minimum of one skate blade on the ice behind or on the blue line. Keeps players honest.

During reviews where we have the benefit of slow-mo and magnification? Players are offside if they break the 3D plane before the puck crosses. This keeps the original rule in place, while effectively making the Offside Challenge adhere to the spirit of it's implementation.

If a player's skate is not touching line but is over it or going off the ice on a line change and has no possibility of become involved in the play it shouldn't be offside

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I've said for a while, and I've seen a lot of other people say it. But a really simple fix would be...

1. Extend the blueline to the ceiling.
2. Limit offside reviews to 20-30 seconds.

This way refs can call the most obvious missed offside calls, but they're not wasting time on the millimeters offside play that has no affect on the goal being scored.

Kariya 9

Feb 28, 2014
I think offsides should be a delayed call. If a linesman thinks a play is offside, he raises his hand and calls it out. The attacking team than has the option to move back with the puck or continue the offensive drive. If the puck exits the zone, the delayed call is waved off and play continues. If the play results in a goal, it is reviewed by video analysis.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Penalty due to offside challenges(if not in favor) is a perfect touch this season

This is the way it should be

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
There should just be a ton of little lasers (or IR blasters whatever, lasers look cooler) in the blue line with sensors above, if the player is disrupting the lasers in that area, then they are over the plane and boom not offsides

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
the day there are no referees on a field or rink or court are the days those sports die.

If robots and technology made the calls there would be zero flow to the game. Now, if were talking for a puck crossing the blueline or goal line then maybe the game could live without linesman. But never without referees.
You need the linesman mainly for fights tbf.

As for offsides; at the speed of the NHL a lot are offside but it’s not enough to make a difference (unlike Duchene a few years back). As long as the blatant ones are called I don’t mind

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Widen the blue lines and soften the language. The rule is no longer doing what it was put in place to do. There really doesn't need to be such a slim margin for error, for both the linesmen and the players. They should be aiming to lessen the amount of offside calls and icings; full stop. Prrrreeeetty simple.

Naturally instead the NHL for some reason decided to give the option for coaches to challenge a goal if they think it might of been offside. Then, they further convolute the convoluted by saying well if you're wrong we're going to give you a penalty.

So rather than successfully addressing an issue that didn't really exist in the first place they've just created another one. This is a professional league making millions of dollars... And it's run by Neanderthals.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
the day there are no referees on a field or rink or court are the days those sports die.

If robots and technology made the calls there would be zero flow to the game. Now, if were talking for a puck crossing the blueline or goal line then maybe the game could live without linesman. But never without referees.

So players are incapable lf ever adapting?

If robots and technology made calls what would happen is the same thing that happens with virtually EVERYTHING in the world. It becomes better, more accurate, and faster.

What's far worse than 'killing flow' is game management, and a lack of consistency. Officials should not ever decide outcomes. If a team wants to stop flow as their strategy, they should be welcome to do just that.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
How about not going offside? And if you do._. I have no idea why being caught offside means the rules should change

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
What do you mean by 'zero flow to the game'? The calls need to be correct, we do not need incorrect calls being made.
And what of the strocities that occur in front of the net EVERY FREAKING time.

Zero flow means an uniterrupted parade to the penalty box and pretty much every game decided by special teams.

You know, puck drops, 30 second later an inconsequential tap on the shin pads puts a team down. Pp . Puck drops, two guys away from the puck collide, interference. 2 man PP or 4 on four. Another whistle.

The rules are made so as not to afford a team an advantage, you by the Booker's call everything people must just hate hockey. Pass.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
or we could just call offsides in the true spirit of the rule...to prevent someone camping out in the zone and cherry picking.

It was never about making sure someone isn't over by 1 inch on a rush.

if soccer can call offsides without the help of replay, I think NHL refs can handle it

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I'd be in favor of something more radical to coincide with the spirit of the rule (which is no cherry picking):

An attacking player may be over the blueline when the puck is carried in, but he must go back and "tag"/touch the blueline before he is eligible to receive the puck.

So someone could be on the faceoff dot and his teammate could carry it in, but he may not touch the puck or interfere with the defense. He must go straight to the blueline before he comes eligible again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad