Rule Change: Dynamic Offside

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
People are unhappy with how offside is called/reviewee. This is because the Offside Challenge has revealed how often players really are offside and it has taken away many goals.

Some want to change it so that a player must break the plane on the line. Personally, I feel this puts a larger burden on the linesmen. Judging a 3D plane is a lot harder to do than a 2D one at the speed this game is played. Yay, MORE challenges.

Another problem with having a constant 3D plane offside is we are right back at players pushing it to the limit.

Like the title suggests, why not introduce a Dynamic Offside that changes and can get the best of both worlds?

During normal play, an offside shall be judged the classic way. A minimum of one skate blade on the ice behind or on the blue line. Keeps players honest.

During reviews where we have the benefit of slow-mo and magnification? Players are offside if they break the 3D plane before the puck crosses. This keeps the original rule in place, while effectively making the Offside Challenge adhere to the spirit of it's implementation.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
People are unhappy with how offside is called/reviewee. This is because the Offside Challenge has revealed how often players really are offside and it has taken away many goals.

Some want to change it so that a player must break the plane on the line. Personally, I feel this puts a larger burden on the linesmen. Judging a 3D plane is a lot harder to do than a 2D one at the speed this game is played. Yay, MORE challenges.

Another problem with having a constant 3D plane offside is we are right back at players pushing it to the limit.

Like the title suggests, why not introduce a Dynamic Offside that changes and can get the best of both worlds?

During normal play, an offside shall be judged the classic way. A minimum of one skate blade on the ice behind or on the blue line. Keeps players honest.

During reviews where we have the benefit of slow-mo and magnification? Players are offside if they break the 3D plane before the puck crosses. This keeps the original rule in place, while effectively making the Offside Challenge adhere to the spirit of it's implementation.
That sounds too complicated. Why not get rid of coach's challenge and have robots that can do the job? Besides, we are transitioning into a tech world.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
With so much technology today, why don't they just use that tennis radar tracker, or just have isolation cameras on all the players from a booth so you don't have the ice clogged up with referees and linesmen? Even the puck can be dropped via drone. The puck can be tracked so we know if it crosses the line. Don't need Kerry Frasers with their own agendas, egos, prejudices and incompetence ruining the game like a WWE championship match.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Ive noticed the game is so fast that if you rewind and check every zone entry in a game youll realize a lot of them are offsides, especislly dump and chases.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
With so much technology today, why don't they just use that tennis radar tracker, or just have isolation cameras on all the players from a booth so you don't have the ice clogged up with referees and linesmen?
the day there are no referees on a field or rink or court are the days those sports die.

If robots and technology made the calls there would be zero flow to the game. Now, if were talking for a puck crossing the blueline or goal line then maybe the game could live without linesman. But never without referees.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
the day there are no referees on a field or rink or court are the days those sports die.

If robots and technology made the calls there would be zero flow to the game. Now, if were talking for a puck crossing the blueline or goal line then maybe the game could live without linesman. But never without referees.
What do you mean by 'zero flow to the game'? The calls need to be correct, we do not need incorrect calls being made.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
What do you mean by 'zero flow to the game'? The calls need to be correct, we do not need incorrect calls being made.
I mean exactly what I said. And I never said wrong calls need to be made.

The lack of calls is what gives a game flow (and obviously clean hockey) so if you had a robot calling offsides, penalties, etc.. there wouldnt be a shift longer than a minute or two ever. Thats how much goes unnoticed in professional sports that are fast paced.

Go watch a single NHL game and rewind to every zone entry in the game. Youll notice a lot of them are offsides by rule but arent called because they are so close. Its only on goals you notice because of the new review.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
I mean exactly what I said. And I never said wrong calls need to be made.

The lack of calls is what gives a game flow (and obviously clean hockey) so if you had a robot calling offsides, penalties, etc.. there wouldnt be a shift longer than a minute or two ever. Thats how much goes unnoticed in professional sports that are fast paced.

Go watch a single NHL game and rewind to every zone entry in the game. Youll notice a lot of them are offsides by rule but arent called because they are so close. Its only on goals you notice because of the new review.
You are acting like the robots would be the one to blame for the zero flow. No, that is where YOU are wrong. Rules are rules and should be enforced. It is up to the players to decide to not be offside and play by the rules.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

You don't have to have a "robot" making the calls. They could just be officials who sit at a screen watching isolation cameras of each individual player.

And if you think culture of subjective incompetence of referees is what makes a game flow, I don't know what to tell you.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You are acting like the robots would be the one to blame for the zero flow. No, that is where YOU are wrong. Rules are rules and should be enforced. It is up to the players to decide to not be offside and play by the rules.
I can tell youve never reffed a hockey game.

If you know so well how reffing should be done than start training for the NHL. Clearly you think they can do their jobs better so do it for them. Robots wont happen past being used for goal calls. Will never be used for offsides because anyone who has reffed knows how hard it is to get them all - let alone ref at the NHL level of speed. Physically impossible to be right all the time - and calling offsides by milliseconds and centimeters for anything other than a goal ruling is absurd and would, like I said, kill the flow of the game. Itd be slower than it has ever been.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You don't have to have a "robot" making the calls. They could just be officials who sit at a screen watching isolation cameras of each individual player.

And if you think culture of subjective incompetence of referees is what makes a game flow, I don't know what to tell you.
Go rewind an NHL game and see how many offsides go uncalled.

Then tell me the flow of the game wouldnt be killed by perfecf offsides calling

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Go rewind an NHL game and see how many offsides go uncalled.

Then tell me the flow of the game wouldnt be killed by perfecf offsides calling

What's the point in "flow" when a goal is scored is waived off anyway?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If you know so well how reffing should be done than start training for the NHL. Clearly you think they can do their jobs better so do it for them. Robots wont happen past being used for goal calls. Will never be used for offsides because anyone who has reffed knows how hard it is to get them all - let alone ref at the NHL level of speed. Physically impossible to be right all the time - and calling offsides by milliseconds and centimeters for anything other than a goal ruling is absurd and would, like I said, kill the flow of the game. Itd be slower than it has ever been.

Maybe we should just eliminate all rules from the game?

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007

There have been too many human errors in the game which could be costly, as much as a Stanley Cup. The game is fast and is getting faster and at some point we do not need humans judging offside calls. What the game needs is consistent accurate calls.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
What's the point in "flow" when a goal is scored is waived off anyway?
The flow comes from plays that dont involve goals. Dump and chases that turn into a 2 on 1 the other way. Those can be offsides that werent called and if they are the next play never happens. And like ive said youd be surprised how many go not called and lead to 4-5 minute back and forths

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
There have been too many human errors in the game which could be costly, as much as a Stanley Cup. The game is fast and is getting faster and at some point we do not need humans judging offside calls. What the game needs is consistent accurate calls.
Im all for having better called games but youd have to setup something so the system doesnt call offsides by fractions of centimeters. That would end the fast paced hockey weve known to love recently.

For goals imm all for using sensors

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Im all for having better called games but youd have to setup something so the system doesnt call offsides by fractions of centimeters. That would end the fast paced hockey weve known to love recently.

For goals imm all for using sensors
Do you watch Tennis? They have the tech that makes calls by a fraction of millimetres.

We need that system in the NHL RIGHT NOW.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Why change the rule if the enforcement is the problem?

The offside rule is completely fine. I'm also okay with the human factor (even though it will once in a while cause a shoe to fly towards my TV if it doesn't go the way of the team I support.

The question is though.. why do we feel the need to sanitize hockey into some sort of robot league where there is absolutely no controversy allowed one way or another?

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Why change the rule if the enforcement is the problem?

The offside rule is completely fine. I'm also okay with the human factor (even though it will once in a while cause a shoe to fly towards my TV if it doesn't go the way of the team I support.

The question is though.. why do we feel the need to sanitize hockey into some sort of robot league where there is absolutely no controversy allowed one way or another?

This effectively makes it so the classic offside rule is in tact, but reviewing it becomes more about the original intent behind the Challenge. Getting rid of blatant offsides.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I'm in favor of eliminating offsides on skate-ins

You still have to be onside if someone passes or dumps the puck, but if someone skates it in you can be camped out

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Tennis is sort of turn based and is completely different. I get your point but thats a whole nother beast of a sport.
I was not comparing Tennis and Hockey - both are totally different sports. I was not talking about the rules nor the equipment used in both sports. None of that. You can go back to my earlier post if you do not believe. What I was talking about was the technology used to review the calls. If you do not believe me, you can go to the post you quoted.

evdog

Oct 15, 2014
San diego
I would just get rid of video review and let the linesmen do their job.

If a play was so close that video review was required to make a call, it is unlikely a player would have much advantage on a missed call.

If linesmen are blatantly blowing calls then they should be replaced or get extra training.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Linesmen make mistakes the other way. Let it go or have a five second challenge window from point of entry- a team maintaining a two minute cycle should never, ever lose a goal from a missed offside.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I would just get rid of video review and let the linesmen do their job.

If a play was so close that video review was required to make a call, it is unlikely a player would have much advantage on a missed call.

If linesmen are blatantly blowing calls then they should be replaced or get extra training.
No, this makes too much sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad