WGR: Ruff talks lines, the center position after Ennis/Hodgson and Grigs

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
http://www.wgr550.com/pages/15231327.php?contentType=4&contentId=12163711

On the lines

“It’s no secret we’ll try to keep the Ennis, Stafford and Foligno together and that relationship between Pom and Vanner, keep it together. We’ve got Ott and we’re just weighing some ideas on who we want to use with him and Ville probably, but for the most part the defense is the same and we’re just going to try to build off that late rally we had last year.”

On center/Grigs

What about the center ice position after Ennis and Hodgson? Ruff said, “We’ve got Matty Ellis, we’ve got Ott, Ville can play in the middle so we’re going to evaluate as this four or five day camp goes on to see what will work, but I think we’re pretty well set in those top two lines with Hodgson and Ennis.” So where does that leave Grigorenko? Why not try him with Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville? Ruff said, “It’s a look we could try. The one thing I want to do if you look at Cody and the way he’s playing I want him to build off the type of year he’s been having down in Rochester and there’s been a little bit of a connection and Van likes playing with him so I’d love to see him, I don’t know if that’s the best thing for us getting ready for our first game, but I would love to see him there a couple of days in practice because that gives you the best idea of where he might play in the future.”

So with the above in mind to start off we're likely looking at

Vanek/Hodgson/Pommer
Foligno/Ennis/Stafford
Ott/XXX/Leino
Scott/Ellis/Kaleta

XXX -> Hecht, Grigs, UFA signing or a trade pick up.

But he would like to see Grigs between Vanek/Pommer for a few days in practice.

At least thats a possible lineup until Gerbe and McCormick return to health

Last edited:

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I'm hoping for:
Vanek-CoHo/-Pommers
FES
Leino-Hecht-Ott
Scrubs

But I sort of expect grigs to make the team and don't really want him playing with leino and ott so that would change everything

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Don't totally like the bottom-six still. Thought we could have gotten one more player, whether it be a UFA or trade, before the lockout and still feel that way now. Not comfortable with the third line spot totally up in the air and Ellis playing fourth line center every night. Bottom-six just feels incomplete. At this point I'm really hoping Grigorenko makes the team to allow us to kind of run three scoring lines, as we really don't have too much of a stable checking line.

Still would have liked to acquire a bottom-six guy, preferably center, to use on the third or fourth line. Langkow, Arnott, or Morrison in free agency or try to trade for a Belanger or Reasoner type. If worse comes to worse, re-sign Hecht; he'd be better than pushing Grigorenko if he's not ready or forcing Leino to play center again. Ott can take draws for the third line but as of now with the Gerbe injury, we're still a body short on that line. Only problem with re-signing Hecht, like I said in the Hecht thread, is that he'd likely find his way into the top-six because Lindy loves him. I'd take him for a bottom-six role but unless he's filling in for an injury I wouldn't want Hecht sniffing the top-six at this point.

Right now, we're short bodies with a few injuries and even without McCormick's injury, I think we can all agree we don't want to see him, Scott, or Ellis playing every night. Ellis could if he needs to, but the other two should only be in on specific nights. Unfortunately, if we don't sign or trade for someone else, we might be out of luck and be forced to play them for now. I'd like to see how the bottom-six looks on opening night to make a final judgement, seeing as we still have holes and things could change.

I'm happy with the defense. I still say we should try offering Weber around the League and see if we can find a trading partner. Reasoner/Belanger for Weber anyone? Could make sense for both teams. Assuming Myers, Ehrhoff, Sekera, and Sulzer (all four were injured during the lockout) are all ready to go:

Leopold - Myers
Regehr - Sekera
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
Weber, Pardy

Waiting to see what happens to Pardy and even Brennan (needs to pass through waivers to go down) but I suspect Weber will be the seventh and Pardy could be waived and heading to Rochester too if everyone's healthy.

Last edited:

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
I'm hoping for:
Vanek-CoHo/-Pommers
FES
Leino-Hecht-Ott
Scrubs

But I sort of expect grigs to make the team and don't really want him playing with leino and ott so that would change everything

I actually think Ott would be a great winger for Grigs when he breaks in. Leino, not so sure about. Besides, this is Lindy Ruff, so if he sticks with the club, expect Grigs to play with on the same line as roughly 90% of the forwards throughout the half-season.

:laugh:

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
quote from article on wgr55....Lindy when asked about the center situation he said something along the lines "Well we have Matty Ellis"

I haven't even been paying attention...So we really still have him under contract ? Can't believe Ruff and Co. still think this guy is NHL caliber.

facepalm.jpg

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
quote from article on wgr55....Lindy when asked about the center situation he said something along the lines "Well we have Matty Ellis"

I haven't even been paying attention...So we really still have him under contract ? Can't believe Ruff and Co. still think this guy is NHL caliber.

facepalm.jpg

Matt Ellis! I choose you!

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I really hope they trade a defenseman for a forward. There's basically no depth up front.

I really like the idea of Horcoff (using the new cap eating strategy), I'd take the remaining 3 yrs of Horcoff at up to 4.0 (he has a 5.5 cap)

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I really like the idea of Horcoff (using the new cap eating strategy), I'd take the remaining 3 yrs of Horcoff at up to 4.0 (he has a 5.5 cap)

Not a fan. His production fell of a cliff last year and he's already 34. I don't see why Edmonton would be willing to eat $1.5 million of their cap when they aren't even close to the upper limit, not to mention he's their captain and has been an Oiler his entire career.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Depending on your point of view, Matty Ellis either gets too much praise or too much scorn.

If the line-up were purely based on merit, Ellis would be a regular. This comment speaks more to the team's overall lack of consistency, but Matt Ellis has RARELY been the worst player on the ice.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario

Not a fan. His production fell of a cliff last year and he's already 34. I don't see why Edmonton would be willing to eat $1.5 million of their cap when they aren't even close to the upper limit, not to mention he's their captain and has been an Oiler his entire career.

I doubt they eat any of that cap space if they end up moving Horcoff (maybe for a comp. pick???). That said, I would love to have him in Buffalo... I think he is an ideal 3rd line vet 2-way centreman, who is physical enough to get the job done, but not take too many stupid penalties - like a stronger Jochen without the head issues.

Perhaps they would take a guy like Pardy/McCormick back in a package of some sort to at least allow for a couple million $$$ of cap relief. We could always buy Horcoff out in a year or two if Grigs/Girgs/Sundher/Cat are ready to hop into the #2/#3C slot.

I would do it - so long as the deal makes sense for both sides....

He's also buds with Ott - could be a good chemistry move....

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I doubt they eat any of that cap space if they end up moving Horcoff (maybe for a comp. pick???). That said, I would love to have him in Buffalo... I think he is an ideal 3rd line vet 2-way centreman, who is physical enough to get the job done, but not take too many stupid penalties - like a stronger Jochen without the head issues.

Perhaps they would take a guy like Pardy/McCormick back in a package of some sort to at least allow for a couple million $$$ of cap relief. We could always buy Horcoff out in a year or two if Grigs/Girgs/Sundher/Cat are ready to hop into the #2/#3C slot.

I would do it - so long as the deal makes sense for both sides....

He's also buds with Ott - could be a good chemistry move....

That's interesting, we could actually trade for Horcoff and take his full salary/cap and fit it in this year (filling our 3rd line need), and then buy him out next year for 4.66 (2/3 of 7 million owed) right?

no cap charge after this year?

If he plays close to his contract we can keep him for another season

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
That's interesting, we could actually trade for Horcoff and take his full salary/cap and fit it in this year (filling our 3rd line need), and then buy him out next year for 4.66 (2/3 of 7 million owed) right?

no cap charge after this year?

If he plays close to his contract we can keep him for another season

A rental player for this year - interesting concept.

It would help with our lack of depth at forward for this year. There are rumors that Edmonton wants to get rid of him.

Still a lot of cap hit for a third line center. But we NEED more depth at forward (trade, FA, waiver, Hect, Grigorenko?) this year somehow/someway.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
A rental player for this year - interesting concept.

It would help with our lack of depth at forward for this year. There are rumors that Edmonton wants to get rid of him.

Still a lot of cap hit for a third line center. But we NEED more depth at forward (trade, FA, waiver, Hect, Grigorenko?) this year somehow/someway.

With the trading of cap space, and the 2 buyouts over the next 2 offseasons, it's hardly the "i wouldn't touch that contract with the 10 foot pole" scenario.

When you add in "pegula bucks"... acquiring players like Horcoff becomes more likely

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
With the trading of cap space, and the 2 buyouts over the next 2 offseasons, it's hardly the "i wouldn't touch that contract with the 10 foot pole" scenario.

When you add in "pegula bucks"... acquiring players like Horcoff becomes more likely

I understand it from Buffalo's end but I don't really see why they'd eat salary to move Horcoff just yet. Down the line they're going to feel the cap squeeze with all these top-end youngsters, but right now a guy like Horcoff is valuable to their young roster. That's my assumption, anyhow.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
Brennan is either going to be traded or make the roster and if he makes the roster then another NHL defensemen will have to be traded. Can we parlay Brennan or Pardy into a bottom 6 forward?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I understand it from Buffalo's end but I don't really see why they'd eat salary to move Horcoff just yet. Down the line they're going to feel the cap squeeze with all these top-end youngsters, but right now a guy like Horcoff is valuable to their young roster. That's my assumption, anyhow.

yea, they could very well not want to move him, and not want to eat space.

i'd be open to trading for him, and taking the entire contract. knowing that we could buy him out if it didn't work out.

we have the cap space this year, and we can make space next year by buying out him or Leino (whichever one proves capable of locking down that #3 center spot)

that to me is the most interesting aspect of the 2 buyouts... we only have 1 potential guy (leino), so we could acquire a "bad contract" from a small market team that maybe doesn't want to spend the cash, or can't afford to... we take the risk hoping for the rebound, but can afford the buyout if necessary....

wait : does that work? Or does the crazy Luongo rule apply to a traded for player who then gets bought out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad