News Article: Rudy Poeschek dealing with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Tough read. But shouldn't boxers be affected by this disease too? This is a prime reason why enforcers are a thing of the past in this league (and should be). I love fighting but having a guy on the team with the sole purpose to beat up the other team's enforcer only to have them both risk their lives longterm... wow.

All the best to Rudy though.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah I think this is the issue that's ultimately going to drive fighting out of the league, at least if the league is serious about reducing its liability.

Bummed out for Rudy, though. :(

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Back in the day before we were any good it was guys like Poeschek and Ciccone that got non-fans to the arena. Forever grateful for their sacrifice. Hopefully the Drs. can help Rudy go on to lead a normal life. I always loved the guy.

TheThunderYears

100% Cap Compliant
Aug 20, 2007
The Filthy South
I hate reading this. I remember meeting Rudy and Zamunuer at a meet and greet at a sporting goods store back in the first few years of the club. Both were incredibly cool dudes and even as a kid, I was struck with how chilled out Rudy was compared to his demeanor on the ice.

As was stated before, those early guys bled for the team. I hate to see that his life has been so negatively impacted.

TheThunderYears

100% Cap Compliant
Aug 20, 2007
The Filthy South
Back in the day before we were any good it was guys like Poeschek and Ciccone that got non-fans to the arena. Forever grateful for their sacrifice. Hopefully the Drs. can help Rudy go on to lead a normal life. I always loved the guy.

Does anyone else remember a between periods interview with Ciccone in which he advises kids to wash their hands well after a fight so that they don't get an infection? My little bro and I remember it clearly and still laugh about it to this day. Solid advice Enrico, solid advice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad