Rudy Gay blockbuster latest win-now push by Toronto pro teams

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
the Leafs’ decision to dump Burke hasn’t, in the very short time elapsed, translated into bringing any star players to the ACC

He does realize it's only been a couple of weeks since the firing and FA isn't even close yet, right?

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
lol another cox thread. its about the raptors but somehow he talks about burke.... anything to tie burke in with an article i guess...

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'm not sure these are "win now" trades so much as being lucky enough to have teams looking to shed massive salary.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Getting back to the trade, everyone outside the T dot says we lost the deal - we have players like Anderson and deMar doing the same type of job, albeit with less flash with their names. Gay also has enormous contract and his owed like 18 mil over the next two seasons. Why sign deMar long-term if you are bringing in Gay?

Apparently BryCo has coveted Gay since the 2006 draft when he had to choose between him and Bargs. We all know how that went, but unless he becomes a 20/30ppg perennial all-star that all hoped he would become, this is another act of desperation of a GM trying to save his job.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Is it just me, or does it seem like Cox is the only journalist pushing this whole 'trade Kessel' thing?

He constantly says there's more than just rumours to it, but he's the only one rumouring it!

I've liked Cox until recently where he won't stop with this Kessel madness.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Is it just me, or does it seem like Cox is the only journalist pushing this whole 'trade Kessel' thing?

He constantly says there's more than just rumours to it, but he's the only one rumouring it!

I've liked Cox until recently where he won't stop with this Kessel madness.

It's been talked about ad nauseum on HockeyCentral - Kip and MacLean think he's gone too.

Syn3rgetic

Boats the Burn
Apr 10, 2010
Markham
We should ban his articles here. Seriously this guy needs to stop feeding his garbage to some of the already mentally ill Leafs fans here.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I love the little stab at the Leafs and Nonis. And Kessel.

Especially the "oh the rumors aren't just rumors regarding the Kessel trade!"

Even though the only one suggesting this seems to be...Cox.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Pretty pointles article. Not sure where the Leafs fit into this push to "Win-Now" article. Nothing the Leafs have done this season was a push to win now. Firing Burke was due to personality conflicts between him and the idiots who run the franchise. The fact that Nonis has not done something crazy like trade for Luongo in a desperate ploy to suddenly start winning demonstrates this. Aside from the firing the Leafs have yet to make any moves except to call up Marlies...hardly a win-now move. I don't where the Leafs fit into this article.

The Jays and Raptors are almost polar opposites. Jays have been patiently building up their prospect pool for years and suddenly decided to spend some of those future pieces in an all out effort to win it all...will be an interesting gamble to watch. The Raptors on the other hand feel like they have been making moves for the sake of making moves for years now in a desperate attempt to win the jackpot and actually land a star who plays well in TO. They never seem to hold onto their draft pieces and appear to be constantly stuck in a rut. The Raptors are no where near a contending team, nor do they have the assets to trade for the players necessary to become a contending team.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
We should ban his articles here. Seriously this guy needs to stop feeding his garbage to some of the already mentally ill Leafs fans here.

I wish something like this were possible...I believe much of the mental illness you attribute to Leaf fans comes from reading the atrocious Toronto media.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What's funny is that you will still find a lot of people here who wouldn't do that trade.

It's mostly due to the fact that we got rid of our primary power forward, and what we got in return was yet another overpaid wing. He's good, but still redundant. The trade would have looked a lot better if we didn't have Anderson, Fields or Kleiza on the team.

Also this trade doesn't signal a win-now for Toronto. It is just a trade for the sake of making a trade.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I don't see hoe this was win-now at the expense of the future. Davis is at best a great role player. Calderon was going anyways and we all knew that. This was a solid basketball deal to get us some talent

Kyle Doobas*

The sensible path for the Leafs is to show some patience, but there’s been no indication from MLSE ownership that Nonis has permission to do it nice and slow.
Nonis stated in several interviews around the time of his promotion that MLSE were 100% behind him taking the patient approach, and that they even specifically mentioned the strength of the upcoming draft.

Basic fact-checking. C'mon.

Last edited by a moderator:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I love the little stab at the Leafs and Nonis. And Kessel.

Especially the "oh the rumors aren't just rumors regarding the Kessel trade!"

Even though the only one suggesting this seems to be...Cox.

why does anyone think kessel cant be traded?u can get 1 of perry /getzlaf in a kessel trade and the other coming in a UFA thats a good rumor to follow
then uchanged the face of your franchise !!!!!

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The "sensible path is to have patience", but yeah let's trade our 25 year old best player and...win now? Genius, Damien!

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008

Leaf fans come by whatever problems they may have, effortlessly and totally on their own.

This is one of the least inspired posts I have seen on this site.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
What a tool Cox is. This is the same guy who suggested Kessel be trade because of an expiring contract, but is also against Calderone (on an expiring contract) being traded? I know Ed Davis was included in the trade, but the Raptors got a young talent coming back. However, you know Colangelo had to move Calderone because of his expiring contract, and if Ed Davis had to be in the deal for Rudy Gay, so be it.

A few quotes from the article had me chuckling and rolling my eyes:

...the Bell/Rogers unholy ownership alliance...

Cox had to borrow one of Bob McCowan's expressions -- "unholy alliance" -- because he couldn't come up with something original.

...although the rumbles of Phil Kessel leaving town aren’t just noise.

Well, it is just noise, the tune of his own fart.

What, exactly, is Gay?

Answer that for youself, Cox, you are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad