BRUINS GDT RR#3 NOON - BRUINS vs Caps - Winner plays NYI, Loser plays Carolina - NESN, NBCSN, SN, TVAS, 98.5 FM

Which team do you want the Bruins to meet in the 1st Round?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
GDT designed by @Alicat

full

full

full

full

full

Boston Bruins vs. Washington Capitals

12 PM ET

National TV:
NBCSN
Boston Radio: NESN, 98.5 The Sports Hub FM
Washington Radio: 94.7 FM

full

Scotiabank Arena, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

full

Boston Bruins Twitter

Washington Capitals Twitter

*All from Official Boston Bruins Website

Need to Know: Bruins vs. Capitals

Bruins-Capitals Puck Drop Set for Noon

B's Determined To Bounce Back Ahead of Sunday's Game

Bruins Sign Lantosi to Entry-Level Deal

full

full

full

full

full

Tuukka Rask
1 GP | 0-1-0-0| .914 Sv % | 3.07 GAA

full

full

Braden Holtby

2 GP | 0-1-0-1 | .898 Sv % | 2.46 GAA

full

full

Making masks beautiful

full

full

full

JVv9dCG.png

upload_2020-8-9_4-58-13.png

7W6Gr1r.png

Q9cvwcU.png

xC7F0CS.png

TODAY’S GAME - The Bruins visit the Capitals today in the 3rd &final game of their Round Robin serie. - Tonight’s game will determine the 3rd &4th seeding for the Round One series ... A Boston win means the Bruins will face the New York Islanders in Round One ... A Washington win means the Bruins will face the Carolina Hurricanes in Round One.

BOSTON vs WASHINGTON, LIFETIME SERIES - The Bruins and Capitals have played 3 lifetime playoff series with WSH holding a 2-1 series advantage ... They have played 17 games with WSH holding both a 9-8 game edge &43-37 goals for/against advantage. - Their last series was the 2012 Conference Quarterfinal which WSH won 4-3 ... All games of that series were decided by 1 goal, including 4 in OT, which was the 1st time in NHL history that all games of a 6- or 7-game series were deciding by that margin. 2019-20 SEASON SERIES vs. WASHINGTON - The Bruins were 1-1-1 vs. Washington this season with 3-2 shootout loss in Boston on 11/16, 3-2 loss at Washington on 12/11 &a 7-3 win in Boston on 12/23 ... The Capitals had tied the 11/16 game at 19:01 of the 3rd period before winning in the shootout ... Boston’s win on 12/23 snapped an 0-6-2 home winless stretch vs. Washington. - The Bruins outscored the Capitals by an 11-9 margin, while Washington outshot Boston, 111-72. - David Pastrnak led the Bruins in scoring with 2-3=5 totals with John Carlson leading the Capitals with 1-3=4. - Tuukka Rask earned the win in goal while Jaroslav Halak went 0-1-1 in the series ... Braden Holtby took all 3 decisions in net for Washington with Ilya Samsonov getting no decision in relief in the 12/23 contest.

https://link.nhl.com/static/gamenotes/public/20192020/[email protected]?1596910230000

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
All I want to see today is the Bruins of 5 months ago.

In a way, I am happy they are not the #1 seed as they avoid the circus a Montreal series would bring.

How today plays out depends a lot on how Washington feels as either potential opponent for them has drama.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
The only two things they can control is effort and attitude. Work your asses off, be relentless, and the results will take care of themselves.

I’m an eternal optimist when it comes to the Bruins, so I’m expecting a win today!!

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Would like the win just to prove they have their deal together. Other than that as I said even before the round robin, I could care less who they play in the playoffs. Seriously, what's to choose from NYI to the Canes?

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Guess I will be watching this as I forgot to set an alarm before I fell asleep last night so no beach for me!

good workout this morning, hockey, and getting ready for the week instead

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Haggerty: Here's the ideal first-round matchup for Bruins

Hags says

In all honestly, it’s clear the Bruins should want to win on Sunday vs. the Capitals, clinch the No. 3 seed in the Eastern Conference and face off against an admittedly solid Islanders team. The Islanders are well-coached as a Barry Trotz team, they have outstanding goaltending in Semyon Varlamov (.923 save percentage vs. Florida in the qualifying round) and they boast some very good players like Mat Barzal, Brock Nelson, Jordan Eberle and Jean-Gabriel Pageau among others.

But the Islanders are a hustle-and-hard-work kind of team that maximizes its talent level during the regular season. That means they tend to have a more difficult time beating talented opponents in the playoffs working just as diligently as they are during the postseason. There is an absolute ceiling to how good the Isles can be while constantly scrapping for offense, and that means they would experience a difficult time matching the firepower of the Bruins.

The Islanders were 22nd in the NHL in offense averaging 2.78 goals per game and finished 24th in the league in power-play percentage. They relied heavily on defense, goaltending and hustle to offset the modest attack.

They will play physical and try to frustrate the Bruins, but they just can’t hang with the high-end talent of the B’s provided they show a little more urgency and competitiveness than they have during the round robin.

On the other hand, a B’s loss would put them against a Carolina team that absolutely dominated the New York Rangers in the qualifying round. The Hurricanes are a deep, young and very talented roster with young scorers like Sebastian Aho (3 goals and 8 points in 3 games vs. the Rangers), Andrei Svechnikov (3 goals and five points vs. the Rangers) and Teuvo Teravainen up front, and Jaccob Slavin and Sami Vatanen on the back end with the hope that ex-Bruins D-man Dougie Hamilton may return at some point in the first round as well.

The Hurricanes were a top-10 power play team during the regular season and had one of the best offensive groups in the NHL. They are a significantly improved team compared to the group that the Bruins ushered out of the Eastern Conference Finals with a sweep a year ago, and they added big pieces Vatanen and Vincent Trocheck at the trade deadline.

Clearly, the goaltending is still an area to exploit with the Hurricanes, but they are also coming off a playoff series where Petr Mrazek played the best hockey of his career while posting a .940 save percentage in two starts. Combined, James Reimer and Mrazek had an amazing .955 save percentage in the three wins over the Rangers in the qualifying round, but neither one is a clear-cut No. 1 guy for the Hurricanes in the postseason.

What does it all mean?

Carolina is to be avoided if you are the Boston Bruins based on the torrid way it has played in the Toronto bubble, and based on the way Rod Brind’Amour’s crew can match firepower with the B’s all over the ice.

It will be entirely up to the Bruins to control the fate of their first-round playoff matchup with a win or loss against the Capitals on Sunday, and that ultimately could make all the difference on how long the Bruins will manage to stay in the hunt for the Cup.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Just f****** win! No injuries. But put the league on notice. Work hard. Hit hard. No silly passes. The D has to be better (looking to see if Carlo bounces back). Kase needs to step up. Top line needs to wake up. Lets get this thing going boys. You cant flip the switch that easily. Flip it today and keep it moving. I believe in you. Time to put up or shut up.

Bake the cookies, folks! I have a feeling this is going to be a good day. Sun is shining. We're alive. Lets appreciate it! Lets go Bruins, lets go!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Celine Dion played on my shuffled playlist while I was doing the dishes. Dad's ready for a Bruins win.

Every time a Celine Dion song played on game day last year the Bruins won so lets see if the same thing happens this year.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
That may be the most cogent, balanced, and well written piece I've ever seen from Haggs. Amazing how losing your job seems to stop the click bait nonsense and instead, wrings out some actual competence.

Reactions: Alicat

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Just hoping our boys look competent and top lines have chemistry, going into actual playoffs still shuffling the lines makes me queasy:puppy: Look like the team that had the most points back in March and escape this one with no injuries...then I can get my playoff cowbell out of storage:vhappy:
Here we go:bruins here we go:clap::clap:

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Hope they keep their heads on a swivel for Wilson. As much as I hate saying this, probably a game where it is best to 'let them sleep'.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
7pm playoff game in Finland??? Something good came out of COVID after all! Big game from Marchand tonight.

Reactions: Kusinaata
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad