Royalty Portraits

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
Back in 2018, I started a thread about which OHL arenas had portraits of the Queen and where it was hung. At the time, 4 arenas still had her there (Peterborough, Mississauga, North Bay, and Sudbury) based on responses.

Now that she has passed and King Charles has ascended the throne, have the portraits been changed, removed, or still there as is?

Last edited:
Reactions: rve24

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
At the Aud in Kitchener the fans would cheer if the puck hit the old portrait of the Queen. King Charles was endowed with a rather large set of ears. Would take up a lot of advertising space. No money in royal portraits in arenas.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
At the Aud in Kitchener the fans would cheer if the puck hit the old portrait of the Queen. King Charles was endowed with a rather large set of ears. Would take up a lot of advertising space. No money in royal portraits in arenas.
On the queen at the Kitchener Aud:

Apparently, they’ve been filming a movie or documentary on Borje Salming at the Aud here in Kitchener. They are doing it there because the Aud resembles the old Maple Leaf Gardens on the inside.

From what I understand, for filming, they’ve been erecting the old picture of the queen.

It’ll be must see when it’s released. Salming was truly one of the greats.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
At the Peterborough Memorial Centre the portrait is gone.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014

Her Majesty’s portrait​

Protocol states that Her Majesty’s portrait should remain up until the day after the funeral. It is then removed and replaced with the portrait of the new Sovereign, when it becomes available. This will be produced in due course and may take some time.

The portrait of Her Majesty can be kept as a souvenir.

Reactions: 190 is almost 206

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Her Majesty’s portrait​

Protocol states that Her Majesty’s portrait should remain up until the day after the funeral. It is then removed and replaced with the portrait of the new Sovereign, when it becomes available. This will be produced in due course and may take some time.

The portrait of Her Majesty can be kept as a souvenir.
Not sure the powers that be in the OHL have to follow "royal protocol" at arenas in Ontario. Personally, here in Kitchener they honour the Natives lived or hunted at one time in the past on the land where the Aud is built every home game. It would be an insult to put up a picture of an English King here now IMO. My grandparents were all from the UK. You couldn't pay me to cross a road to see a so called royal.

Reactions: Otto and Ferda11

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not sure the powers that be in the OHL have to follow "royal protocol" at arenas in Ontario. Personally, here in Kitchener they honour the Natives lived or hunted at one time in the past on the land where the Aud is built every home game. It would be an insult to put up a picture of an English King here now IMO. My grandparents were all from the UK. You couldn't pay me to cross a road to see a so called royal.
I don’t believe it has anything at all to do with the OHL. It is usually community arenas following a traditional protocol.

Most OHL rinks now are no longer “community” rinks. I’m sure if you ventured out to many of the community arenas next year, you would see Royal portraits provided the towns still follow the Royal traditions.

IMO, we have a long standing relationship with the Royal family as part of being in the British Commonwealth. I do feel it is important to maintain traditions. It is part of our historical identity regardless of its perceived relevance today.

Reactions: three dog night

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I don’t believe it has anything at all to do with the OHL. It is usually community arenas following a traditional protocol.

Most OHL rinks now are no longer “community” rinks. I’m sure if you ventured out to many of the community arenas next year, you would see Royal portraits provided the towns still follow the Royal traditions.

IMO, we have a long standing relationship with the Royal family as part of being in the British Commonwealth. I do feel it is important to maintain traditions. It is part of our historical identity regardless of its perceived relevance today.
The Royals have a horrible history. Today we don't need to be reminded of it. It's really nothing more than a fairy tale. Here in KW they can't keep red paint off the statue of Queen Victoria. There is a large native community here. Rather see a Canadian flag in the rink than a picture of a royal grifter.

Reactions: Otto

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Royals have a horrible history. Today we don't need to be reminded of it. It's really nothing more than a fairy tale. Here in KW they can't keep red paint off the statue of Queen Victoria. There is a large native community here. Rather see a Canadian flag in the rink than a picture of a royal grifter.

Our way of life and how we order our society is based on British Commonlaw. Our Parliament stretching through our legal system is based on our British Heritage. It isn’t about celebrating the British Monarchy. It is about respecting what this country was born from. We are a British Commonwealth country. As such, it is good to celebrate tradition. If we stop celebrating tradition or worse, rejecting and rebelling against it, we open the door for other radical influences that wish to tear down our structure. Why anyone would have such a disdain for a Royal Portrait when the founding of our country and the principals from which we grew into one of the greatest countries in the World are on display daily within the inner workings of our society is beyond me. But, to each their own.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Our way of life and how we order our society is based on British Commonlaw. Our Parliament stretching through our legal system is based on our British Heritage. It isn’t about celebrating the British Monarchy. It is about respecting what this country was born from. We are a British Commonwealth country. As such, it is good to celebrate tradition. If we stop celebrating tradition or worse, rejecting and rebelling against it, we open the door for other radical influences that wish to tear down our structure. Why anyone would have such a disdain for a Royal Portrait when the founding of our country and the principals from which we grew into one of the greatest countries in the World are on display daily within the inner workings of our society is beyond me. But, to each their own.
OMG67 you are barking up the wrong tree if you think I have no respect for Canadian traditions. My father fought in France as an 18 year old. My father in law in Italy at the same age. Many other relatives were in some form of military. Royals never fought in a war but have more medals hanging on their chest than you can count. Times have changed. If you feel the need to have a portrait of a royal in a Canadian arena more power to you. 60% of Canadians really feel the need to end our relationship with the royal family. We have bigger fish to fry in Canada than worrying about having a picture of an elite person hanging in the rafters when we watch a hockey game. As I said before I would rather have a Canadian flag. You are entitled to your opinion.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG67 you are barking up the wrong tree if you think I have no respect for Canadian traditions. My father fought in France as an 18 year old. My father in law in Italy at the same age. Many other relatives were in some form of military. Royals never fought in a war but have more medals hanging on their chest than you can count. Times have changed. If you feel the need to have a portrait of a royal in a Canadian arena more power to you. 60% of Canadians really feel the need to end our relationship with the royal family. We have bigger fish to fry in Canada than worrying about having a picture of an elite person hanging in the rafters when we watch a hockey game. As I said before I would rather have a Canadian flag. You are entitled to your opinion.

I’m 100% fine with your explanation. I am 100% fine with your alternative. The issue I am more pointing to are those that reject it based on the reasons I am referring to. I painted you with that brush and based on your explanation, that wasn’t accurate.

Personally, I don’t think arenas are the most appropriate place for a Royal Portrait except for the fact it has become traditional to do so because the arenas are a public space. As a Public space, there is tradition behind hanging portraits of the Royal Family. This would be similar in the USA hanging a portrait of George Washington etc. or the current sitting President.

The value of the Royal family is in the tenets associated to historical tradition. The Royal Family is a Constitutional Monarchy. They don’t have any real power In law. But their value lies in maintaining a bridge to the traditions of the past which, IMO, are important. We need high profile entities that people pay attention to so as to maintain tradition. They are that entity. If we were to rid ourselves of that entity, it would then be on whom to point to for tradition? The family? The Government? The Legal System? I’m not sure any of those entities have the same power to bring people together for the purpose of maintaining tradition.

That is how I look at it and I don’t differ in opinion from you either. I just feel there is space for both and there is value in both. We need to respect our long standing traditions while also recognizing the sacrifices of those that have helped to maintain those traditions and our way of life. Without the traditions that have helped to shape our way of life, what is there that is worth the sacrifice of fighting for it?

When the National Anthem plays and we face the flag or the Portrait of the sitting Monarch or both, we pledge to respect our traditions and what those symbols represent. It is true that some don’t respect the Monarchy and that is fine but there are also people that don’t respect the flag either. I think they both go hand in hand. We can ditch the Monarchy in the short term but I am not too certain we would be better off in the long term. That is assuming the Monarchy is able to be the bridge to the traditions of the past. Recent events suggest that may be a challenge. As such, my opinion may change as events surrounding that Royal Family change. The direct lineage looks like it may be ok but the periphery is a challenge for sure.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
First Ontario used to have it right at the entrance, not hanging from the rafters, but I believe it came down...I want to say the second year of the OHL Bulldogs.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Not that I ever really paid close attention to this one way or the other.

But let's be blunt if I can, if an OHL city chooses to keep or remove any connection to the Royal Family really only has to do with the city facilities itself. As for the teams they likely would rather stay out of this if the facilities choose to leave the connection to the Royal Family in its place I doubt that fans would be too upset either way.

And besides as the youth of today may or may not understand the history of the connection between counties like Canada and the United Kingdom is something that will continue to evolve differently as the new Era of monarchy sits.

If this changes with symbolism or not time will decide on how these issues will resolve themselves. Maybe facilities leave them around as a reminder? Maybe they change them? Maybe they abandon them ? Who really knows what is the right option one way or the other I'm sure if these facilities are or would have any intention of change that we would see these images change in the coming years.

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
I am going to assume no arena has hung a portrait of the new King of England over the course of the season, since the topic never came up again, at least not on this thread.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I am going to assume no arena has hung a portrait of the new King of England over the course of the season, since the topic never came up again, at least not on this thread.
No one had room for his ears. That's why it's difficult to get his pic on a 20 dollar bill.:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad