Royalties for Prince of Darkness?

drive45

Jul 1, 2011
closer than I appear
Does Ozzy (and Sharon) get paid everytime they play the intro to "Crazy Train" at a sporting event? I mean, I swear they play it every 10 min at football games, and every 5 min at hockey games!

Besides, I would be willing to bet that Max Norman (the producer), Randy Rhoads (guitar) and Bob Daisley (bass) had more to with writing that part than Ozzy.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
They probably have a contract with the record company to play the song as many times as they want. Also Ozzy Osbourne probably had something in his contract with the record company to give him a certain percentage or maybe it was included in the deal he signed with the record company. I'm no expert, but this is just what I'm guessing, since it will make everything a lot easier. And instead of the record company, maybe it's with whoever owns the rights to the song.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
From previous thread, we learned that the NHL has an umbrella music agreement with ASCAP.

For music played in arena, the teams have to keep a list of what they play and report that like monthly. Then the appropriate royalty amount is calculated per artist/composer.

As for the AHL, ECHL and other leagues, I can only guess they have similar arrangements.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
It's defined as a public performance, so he gets paid; payments are made to the respective national umbrella copyright agency. The agency pays the copyright holder(s), whether it's the publisher, writer, an estate or someone else. Payments are made quarterly.

If teams didn't track playlists, they would pay a flat rate, like most bars and restaurants.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Does Ozzy (and Sharon) get paid everytime they play the intro to "Crazy Train" at a sporting event? I mean, I swear they play it every 10 min at football games, and every 5 min at hockey games!

Besides, I would be willing to bet that Max Norman (the producer), Randy Rhoads (guitar) and Bob Daisley (bass) had more to with writing that part than Ozzy.

All NHL Venues are covered by a blanket ASCAP license.

Performance Rights Organizations (PROs) like ASCAP, BMI, & SoundScape licence the rights for public performances of copyrighted music, collect fees, and distribute the royalties to the rights holders - typically the publisher, performer, songwriter, and composer.

More details than you care about from this Summer's "controversy" between the Devils and the band Black Water Rising - whose music was used for an in arena intro video:

Devils sued by Band; NHL covered by ASCAP agreement
Devils face lawsuit over "Rise" intro music

edit: a quick ASCAP search shows that "Crazy Train" is indeed in the ASCAP catalog and covered by the ASCAP license.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I used to work for an OHL team and I had the opportunity a few times to make a video mashup played on the screen for pre-game stuff with music-I remember before I did it asking about what songs the team had permission for, and they mentioned the blanket agreement.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yes, its all covered under ASCAP, however, not all artists participate for various reasons generally pertaining to control, legal issues surrounding a songs copyright or what have you. The use of music videos in-stadia is a different issue altogether and is not covered by ASCAP, which was the issue Black Water had/has. Osbourne, Rhoads & Daisley are credited with writing the song & thus hold the copyright, Royalties usually but not always split equally.

That particular song was also used by the crazies from the Westboro Baptist Church out of Kansas in an anti-gay protest, the lyrics changed to "Your going straight to Hell on your Crazy Train" etc etc etc at a protest in Washington just last year. Osbourne went "crazy" on their *****, threatening all manner of pox & plague on their houses, however as it was sung a-cappella and in parody for non-commercial use nor recorded not much he could do about it. Another standard arena anthem, Gary Glitters Rock & Roll (Part One & Two) which was heavily sampled through the 80's & 90's in NHL arenas' was dropped en-masse' when it was discovered the man was beyond the twist...

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Yes, its all covered under ASCAP, however, not all artists participate for various reasons generally pertaining to control, legal issues surrounding a songs copyright or what have you. The use of music videos in-stadia is a different issue altogether and is not covered by ASCAP, which was the issue Black Water had/has. Osbourne, Rhoads & Daisley are credited with writing the song & thus hold the copyright, Royalties usually but not always split equally.

That particular song was also used by the crazies from the Westboro Baptist Church out of Kansas in an anti-gay protest, the lyrics changed to "Your going straight to Hell on your Crazy Train" etc etc etc at a protest in Washington just last year. Osbourne went "crazy" on their *****, threatening all manner of pox & plague on their houses, however as it was sung a-cappella and in parody for non-commercial use nor recorded not much he could do about it. Another standard arena anthem, Gary Glitters Rock & Roll (Part One & Two) which was heavily sampled through the 80's & 90's in NHL arenas' was dropped en-masse' when it was discovered the man was beyond the twist...

Re Sampling-I've seen (heard) that done in some arena settings where "samples" are done and added with twists and turns in the music. I believe radio stations in years past tried getting away with playing a song at a slightly slower/faster speed to avoid paying various fees (but that's totally OT) :)

I think that sort of sampling/attempts at evasion are in smaller type settings, but OHL on up I think are financially prudent enough to get the agreements done without resorting to those shenangians....

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I think that sort of sampling/attempts at evasion are in smaller type settings, but OHL on up I think are financially prudent enough to get the agreements done without resorting to those shenanigans....

Whats' interesting as well here in Canada is the whole issue of the CRTC & Canadian Content (CanCon) requirements applied to radio in that a certain % of their playlists must be of Canadian origin. Be it written by and or performed by domestic artists. No such rules exist for the Canadian film sector nor for in-stadia / arena "Game Presentations", though the Mandarins in Ottawa have looked into it from time-time as it relates to HNIC/Rogers/TSN, broadcasting of hockey in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto etc for Canadian consumption. Insisting the Bell Center or Northlands playlists contain 30% CanCon or whatever...

A little OT, but ya, Canadian radio stations do skirt the requirements, playing it "safe" with classics from the Guess Who, Neil Young etc; Country with the likes of Shania Twain & so on. Over & over & over. New artists, such as Arcade Fire receiving absolutely no commercial air-time whatsoever until after they've won a handful of Grammys & AMA's. Pretty hard not to be cynical about its actual usefulness in actually "Protecting Canadian Culture" from the Foreign Invaders when our own media outlets do absolutely nothing to foster the growth of the industry in airing new releases from older established and or up & coming new artists, but I digress...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad