Roy Halladay's family wants his HOF cap to be neutral

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I am definitely not mad....more so confused. From what it seems like so are Phillie fans lol

I liken that as a reflection of how Phillies fans took to Halladay. Someone started a blog called Zoo With Roy because he wondered what it would be like to go to the zoo with him. So Roy sought him out and went to the zoo with him. Might be the most beloved player of that era, aside from Utley, of Phillies baseball and he wasn’t even on the World Series team.

Reactions: montreal

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
[QUOTE="Sweetbutt, post: 155533421, member: 285759"]No logo is fair.

While he didn't have tenure, Roy's flame burned brightest in Philly.
That post season game + that season as a whole was THE definitive Halladay performance

Like it's funny watching the MLB network pieces and 95% video footage featured is him in Philly, but they have his player profile pic with a Jays cap.

If he had Blue Jay logo on his HOF cap, which Blue Jay logo would he wear? Maybe a bit tricky cause during his time there they were always in a state of identify crisis lel[/QUOTE]

Fair would be if he went in with the cap he expressed he would prefer to go in, and even made an official transaction to further his own wish.

Anything else would be unfair to the wishes of the man himself.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I liken that as a reflection of how Phillies fans took to Halladay. Someone started a blog called Zoo With Roy because he wondered what it would be like to go to the zoo with him. So Roy sought him out and went to the zoo with him. Might be the most beloved player of that era, aside from Utley, of Phillies baseball and he wasn’t even on the World Series team.
Has Utley played catch with 'Mac' yet?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The uproar from people who feel that his wishes are being betrayed by his own family is just so unbelievably comical. Like really. Listen to yourselves. Or read what you're typing.

It comes across as incredibly selfish to be upset that his plaque in the Hall of Fame will not reflect a specific logo on his cap, despite the fact that it will clearly state beneath his name how long his tenure was in Toronto and Philadelphia, showing he was a Blue Jay for a longer period of time.

He was first and foremost a Blue Jay. Blue Jay fans, you can still recognize him as one of the greats of your franchise and being good enough to be a Hall of Famer. Nothing actually changes this.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
he signed a one day contract to go back to the jays though. obviously his wife and family know less about him than me, a fan who watched him pitch for my hometown baseball team.

Reactions: Clowe Me

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
There is a rumor floating around the Blue Jays subreddit that Halladay may have had a small falling out with the org after they wouldn't give him a job as a pitching consultant/development type stuff in 2017, but i'm not sure how legitimate it was.

If that was the case, his wife would probably just say put him in as a phillie so i don't quite buy that. Just seems like an attempt to rationalize something that doesn't really need to be. As i said, disagree with it as a fan, but respect her decision to do so.

(Plus it's not like literally everyone doesn't already associate Doc with the Jays anyway.)

Reactions: Voight

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The uproar from people who feel that his wishes are being betrayed by his own family is just so unbelievably comical. Like really. Listen to yourselves. Or read what you're typing.

It comes across as incredibly selfish to be upset that his plaque in the Hall of Fame will not reflect a specific logo on his cap, despite the fact that it will clearly state beneath his name how long his tenure was in Toronto and Philadelphia, showing he was a Blue Jay for a longer period of time.

He was first and foremost a Blue Jay. Blue Jay fans, you can still recognize him as one of the greats of your franchise and being good enough to be a Hall of Famer. Nothing actually changes this.

Like it or not, the cap a player goes into Cooperstown with is a big deal. For Blue Jays fans we have Alomar with that cap and that's it. Joe Carter isn't getting possibly ever and neither is Carlos Delgado. Roberto Osuna has already been traded and Jose Bautista didn't have a good enough career to get in. Fred McGriff, if he gets in will be a Brave. So where does this leave Jays fans? Maybe someday Vladimir Guerrero Jr. gets in, but we are talking about 25 years away if that ever happens.

The fans pay to see the players. They provide the salaries to the players. They have a connection with these players. I think you owe it to the fans who used their hard earned money to support these players to give something back, and that being that they have a player on their franchise represented in Cooperstown. Can you imagine David Ortiz going into Cooperstown without a Red Sox cap? Because that is pretty much the exact same situation here with the same difference in tenures.

You owe it to the fans, I say. Roy knew this, why doesn't his wife? And why does the Hall cater to this?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Were Philly fans really expecting Halladay to go in wearing a Phillies cap? I wouldn't think so

All this does is disappoint a fan base who believed Halladay was one of their own

So the widow is either clueless, or just doesn't give a shit

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If that was the case, his wife would probably just say put him in as a phillie so i don't quite buy that.

They could have asked the BHoF he go in as a Phillie, and the HoF said No, but offered this as a compromise to avoid the backlash at the perception of running roughshod over the request of a widow instead of insisting he go in as a Jay like they did with Gary Carter (requested to represent the Mets, had an Expos cap instead).

I understand why this happened (from the BHoF point of view, not a chance they say no in these circumstances) and begrudge no one (except that one guy who wrote an article entitled, "Why Halladay would want to be a Phillie"), but I won't deny I'm not slightly bitter Halladay's history in the HoF has been rewritten to the detriment of the team I support.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Were Philly fans really expecting Halladay to go in wearing a Phillies cap? I wouldn't think so

All this does is disappoint a fan base who believed Halladay was one of their own

So the widow is either clueless, or just doesn't give a ****

Thing is, shes pretty much going against what Doc wanted, which is weird.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'm hoping that when Halladay is honoured by the Jays, and his wife is standing there on his behalf, the fans boo her mercilessly

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
It is possible that things changed between the time he said he wanted to go in as a Jay and the time he died. Maybe that rumour about a small falling out is true. The more I think about it, the less I care about his wife's decision. Everyone knows who he played for anyhow.

Reactions: Prezidentas Zubrus

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
do other sports have players go in on a specific team? just seems like a strange thing to do, especially when players change teams frequently in modern sports.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
do other sports have players go in on a specific team? just seems like a strange thing to do, especially when players change teams frequently in modern sports.

No, its only Cooperstown that does this.

& baseball caps are always seen as significant because the logo is so prominent, in the NBA they don't wear headgear and the NFL & NHL just have basic helmets.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm hoping that when Halladay is honoured by the Jays, and his wife is standing there on his behalf, the fans boo her mercilessly

Alright, you got the attention you wanted.

You know the Jays already honoured Doc on opening day last year, correct? Pretty sure his wife was in attendance, too.

His family will still be revered in Toronto, even with this move. I don't hold any ill will towards them.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Like it or not, the cap a player goes into Cooperstown with is a big deal. For Blue Jays fans we have Alomar with that cap and that's it. Joe Carter isn't getting possibly ever and neither is Carlos Delgado. Roberto Osuna has already been traded and Jose Bautista didn't have a good enough career to get in. Fred McGriff, if he gets in will be a Brave. So where does this leave Jays fans? Maybe someday Vladimir Guerrero Jr. gets in, but we are talking about 25 years away if that ever happens.

The fans pay to see the players. They provide the salaries to the players. They have a connection with these players. I think you owe it to the fans who used their hard earned money to support these players to give something back, and that being that they have a player on their franchise represented in Cooperstown. Can you imagine David Ortiz going into Cooperstown without a Red Sox cap? Because that is pretty much the exact same situation here with the same difference in tenures.

You owe it to the fans, I say. Roy knew this, why doesn't his wife? And why does the Hall cater to this?
This is gross. Please stop. Nothing is owed to you n regards to how the man is immortalized. That's for the family to decide and no it doesn't sting you. It doesn't effect you. Not at all. Not physically or emotionally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad