Line Combos: Rounding out TOR's defense

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I thought our team had a really successful season in terms of the defense. Clearly it was only good enough to win a round of playoffs and there were some challenges: Giordano's age, Brodie slowing down, Liljgren playing poorly/healthy scratch, Holl showing that he's a 6/7 D, McCabe showing some flaws, etc.

How do you see the defense next season? Do you want Schenn back? Will Schenn ask for a top 4D salary?

Rielly Schenn (UFA)
McCabe Brodie
________ Liljgren
Giordano

Who's left? Timmons?

On paper it looks like it's fairly set. Does Toronto go after anyone in the offseason or should they tinker at the trade deadline ?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I actually dont think Schenn is coming back. As good as he was hes probably due for a raise and a bit of term and at his age we cant pencil him into anything more than bottom pairing RD. If Schenn is pencilled at bottom pairing RD for 2 mil or more Liljegren would have to be top 4 which im not sure if hes ready for.

We definitley need to add another top 3 D man. We need someone on Brodies level but younger. Mccabe aint it. Hes another Holl but more physical, a #4 at best.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I thought our team had a really successful season in terms of the defense. Clearly it was only good enough to win a round of playoffs and there were some challenges: Giordano's age, Brodie slowing down, Liljgren playing poorly/healthy scratch, Holl showing that he's a 6/7 D, McCabe showing some flaws, etc.

How do you see the defense next season? Do you want Schenn back? Will Schenn ask for a top 4D salary?

Rielly Schenn (UFA)
McCabe Brodie
________ Liljgren
Giordano

Who's left? Timmons?

On paper it looks like it's fairly set. Does Toronto go after anyone in the offseason or should they tinker at the trade deadline ?

I would bring Schenn back, and Timmons will need to get some games.

Both Gio and Brodie didn’t seem themselves late in the reg season or in the playoffs, so it would be great if they can secure that big, mean minute eater who can move the puck and chip in some timely offence. Basically Jake Muzzin from a few years ago.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Move Brodie while you still can and get a big body that can move the puck reliably and/or has a big shot from the point.

None of Brodie, McCabe, Gio can move the puck reliably at this point. Liljegren has shown flashes and hopefully he strings those into a consistent season next year, Timmins might be an option as well.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
In a perfect world, I'd like to see a 6'3-6'6, 210-230lbs monster who wouldn't think twice about jumping into a scrum and absolutely feeding players like Perry, Bennett their lunch.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd look to keep the Rielly-Schenn pairing intact. I'd probably also want to bring in a top four or top six option to pair with either Brodie or McCabe (with Liljegren being the complement to the aforementioned that lacks one). My preference would lie with bringing in a new partner for Brodie, which then pairs McCabe with Liljegren. This all presumes having the cap space to carry eight defenders (Giordano and Timmins would round out the group). Admittedly, 11/7 might have to continue being a thing periodically in order to keep everyone playing and happy.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You saw the D against TB and Florida and it’s woefully inadequate. In order to build the D it’ll take two or three years. What they doesn’t fall out of trees.
For the 20th straight year they need a #1D. That’s beyond obvious and there’s no need to worry about playoffs until they fix that hole. Ideally you keep Rielly, but if he makes the team better by trading him, by all means do it.

They have to ice a team next year, so they could offer a couple of guys like Holl or Schenn 1 yr 750K deals or just use Marlies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Rielly Schenn (UFA)
McCabe Brodie
________ Liljgren
Giordano

Who's left? Timmons?

They really need a top-end addition on the defence. Good thing we have some elite forwards to move!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad