Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 192: David Drake, Defense, Des Moines (USHL)

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Was this pick sponsored by World Vision? Actually, I'm suspecting Holmgren just drafted Jeremy Freedman from The Simpsons.

222px-Squeaky_Voiced_Teen.png

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
I see on our developemnt camp sheet he is listed at 170 pounds. Thats still pretty scrawny for 6 foot 4 but not quite as bad. Considering they have Konan listed at 6.3 and 182. I would have never guessed him to be that light. he plays more like 200+

rk5n

Dec 26, 2011
Just got back from seeing him play. He's playing for UCONN which is NCAA Div 1 Hockey East. Teams such as BU, BC, UMASS, UNH and Northeastern are in their conference so they see some pretty stiff competition. UCONN should be the worst team but they're currently 8/12 with 5GP, 1w, 2l 2t. My stats might be a little off since I'm not sure if they're counting today's game yet and that's not counting the out of conference games. Drake has 1 goal and now 1 assist through 9 games.

He looked pretty good. Well composed and will skate the puck out of danger instead of attempting a blind pass. UCONN played pretty sloppy overall in the 1-1 tie with RPI (out of conference) but Drake stood out as one of their more consistent players. He started the game and got 2nd powerplay unit time and sometimes #1 PP. Defense is pretty solid, he's a good backchecker however he seems to stay behind the play often so to not be exposed. Skating is ok, but he doesn't seem to be a particularly fast skater, though maybe he just doesn't use his top speed often. He seems to be lacking offensively, every time he rushed the puck through the nuetral zone he dumped it in despite sometimes having space to rush it himself. Once he skated around one player in the middle of the ice to rush it in himself but unfortunately a teammate went offside. Also when on the powerplay, the puck would be down in the corners and he would still be on the blue line despite 20-25ft of open ice in front of him. He needs to take more risks offensively.

I'll probably go to more UCONN games this season since I'm local. If anyone wants more info, I'll keep posting.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
safe to say if he has a future, it won't be with Philly.

He might take the same route as Nick Luukko and get an AHL contract for one season but play for Reading. But, yeah, he has virtually no chance of getting an ELC with Philly at this point or playing a full season for the Phantoms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad