Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 188: Ivan Fedotov, G, Reaktor Nizhnekamsk (MHL --> KHL)| 3/29 CSKA contract terminated, may join Flyers soon, new contract 4/23 2x3.25M

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Fedotov is getting less salary than Hart was so it's not like the organization is plowing more revenue into the position. Based on his play in the past, he'll be at the least a decent back up.
If he were to have gone UFA, he would have netted what the Flyers gave him on the open market. There are several clubs that are that desperate for goalies this summer.
This contract is possibly the highest contract any UFA goalie will sign this offseason.

That's on top of paying 5 million for a guy to play in the AHL

Reactions: BillDineen

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I mean, sure. I’m happy for him too. But this payout isn’t a surprise. We are used to the Flyers being a charity.
I said it before, you can go up and down their line-up and, except for the ELC, almost everyone is overpaid by at least $1-2MM. On 2 or 3 contracts - no big deal, but it adds up when it applies to a significant number. And if by some miracle they are not overpaid, then they are over termed, because in the minds of the "ancients", 2005 never happened.

The other thing they love doing is paying for past performance as a reward for coming off of a contract that was a bargain.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Is there a way we could use some of our cap space to give Torts some additional money? As long as we’re just throwing money away, we should do something the authentics can really get behind!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think Samsonov will get more

Stolie might, too
I was originally going to say top 3, but just think.....

few want to pay a backup 3 million, so that limits Stolie
Samsonov makes 3.55 yet was waived earlier in the season with no takers. His playoff performance will dictate his next contract.

But I was surprised at how there was not much on the market this offseason

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
In the bigger picture, also setting up the Flyers as a premium destination for Russian players, wink, wink, Michkov and the others we may draft in future.
This is an important point because they don’t want to give the look that they screwed Fedotov over after working arduously to get him. Entirely possible he’s making what he would have made in the KHL next season, too.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I like soup .
VcTPmlK.png

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
One of the things to be considered is that next season to be able to get sent down to the AHL (and it's quite possible that he will need some time there too), he will have to go through the waivers and if he has a small salary, there is a risk that he gets claimed, but with that kind of AAV it is unlikely.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
His 3 games here are irrelevant.

This is what the cost is to bring a top KHL goaltender over.

Given the state of the team, I’d much rather take a chance on a potential boom player. If he busts, then we will know and a poor goaltending tandem will help drive a better pick.

Far more important things to focus on then a 2 year signing and paying goalies $5 million total.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad