Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 188: Ivan Fedotov, G, Reaktor Nizhnekamsk (MHL --> KHL)| 3/29 CSKA contract terminated, may join Flyers soon, new contract 4/23 2x3.25M

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The more I read and watch about Fedotov, the more utterly convinced I am that this guy will be challenging Hart for the starting job in a few seasons. That will be a good problem to have. Damn athletic for a 6’8 goalie, seriously what a monster so long as he can stay healthy.

Another reason to bring him over for next season. Those really tall goalies mostly don't have long careers, their bodies tend to break down earlier. He still needs to adjust to NA game and then you want to get his prime years.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Fedotov was interviewed by sports. ru before the trip to Olympics.

Here is the link to the whole conversation and pictures.

«Прыжок со скалы – такой же шаг в неизвестность, как выход на матч». Вратарь хоккейной сборной – о любви к экстриму и тренировке со спецназовцами

I translated only Flyers related portion of the interview:

Philadelphia's training camp in 2016. What was the hardest part there?

- A trip to the military academy. We were picked up at three o'clock in the morning, brought to the shore, and from 4 to 11 we had trained under the guidance of special forces instructors. They attempted to get you mentally and physically unbalanced, yet you still had to complete the tasks.
Many guys threw up from the mental and physical pressure. Strong-will qualities, not physical ones, became most important.

- What were the tasks?

- The whole team joins hands and jumps into the water in clothes. From water you roll in the sand (navy Seals call it a "sugar cookie" my remark, not part of the article)
Everyone was smeared, and then a commando came up and tried to piss us off in a dictatorial tone.
Then they gave each of us a sandbag of 45-65 pounds, placed it on a stretcher as if wounded. We had to carry it along the beach for 500 meters.
All of this was after five hours of sit-ups, push-ups and relay races. It was a test of fortitude.
At the age of 18, it was interesting to see how different the atmosphere was in America. It is refreshing and broadens one's horizons

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Fedotov was interviewed by sports. ru before the trip to Olympics.

Here is the link to the whole conversation and pictures.

«Прыжок со скалы – такой же шаг в неизвестность, как выход на матч». Вратарь хоккейной сборной – о любви к экстриму и тренировке со спецназовцами

I translated only Flyers related portion of the interview:

Philadelphia's training camp in 2016. What was the hardest part there?

- A trip to the military academy. We were picked up at three o'clock in the morning, brought to the shore, and from 4 to 11 we had trained under the guidance of special forces instructors. They attempted to get you mentally and physically unbalanced, yet you still had to complete the tasks.
Many guys threw up from the mental and physical pressure. Strong-will qualities, not physical ones, became most important.

- What were the tasks?

- The whole team joins hands and jumps into the water in clothes. From water you roll in the sand (navy Seals call it a "sugar cookie" my remark, not part of the article)
Everyone was smeared, and then a commando came up and tried to piss us off in a dictatorial tone.
Then they gave each of us a sandbag of 45-65 pounds, placed it on a stretcher as if wounded. We had to carry it along the beach for 500 meters.
All of this was after five hours of sit-ups, push-ups and relay races. It was a test of fortitude.
At the age of 18, it was interesting to see how different the atmosphere was in America. It is refreshing and broadens one's horizons
I saw him listed as one of the goalies for the Olympics, but any insight as to whether or not he will be the starter? Usually don't root for anyone but US but nice to know if our guys are going to be making an impact on other teams.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I saw him listed as one of the goalies for the Olympics, but any insight as to whether or not he will be the starter? Usually don't root for anyone but US but nice to know if our guys are going to be making an impact on other teams.
The head coach is non committal. Verbatim: " We have plenty of time before the first game to decide who's going to be the starting goalie. We completely trust this to our goalie coach Sergey Naumow, who will tell us right before the first game."

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
9 goalies have sub-2 GAA to show the quality of comp in this tourney. :laugh:

I thought the smaller rink might help, but nope.

Did not help that multiple teams left some of their more offensively talented players (*Sweden, USA, Canada cough cough cough*) because they are also still living in the 1990s and want guys for roles.

Made a B rate Olympics even worse talent wise.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Did not help that multiple teams left some of their more offensively talented players (*Sweden, USA, Canada cough cough cough*) because they are also still living in the 1990s and want guys for roles.

Made a B rate Olympics even worse talent wise.

C'mon, 35 year old Justin Abdelkader over Bobby Brink (and others) was a no-brainer :snide:

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
With the Flyers luck the Ukraine situation will blow-up and Russia stop all agreements with the NA pro leagues and then he stays over there until his 30s.

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
With the Flyers luck the Ukraine situation will blow-up and Russia stop all agreements with the NA pro leagues and then he stays over there until his 30s.
If Flyer's FANS were lucky there will be a world war and there will be no hockey to watch. (Sorry, a little dark humor there as I know a world war would not be a good thing).

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Don’t worry. He will be ready some time next decade.

Really nice for us to have a couple different goalie prospects that, with little to no stretches of the imagination, have nhl back up potential. Hart seems to be the real deal and any additional lottery balls is good news.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fedotov is NHL ready right now, he'll be 26 next year.

Sandstrom could use another AHL season, he's had great games as well as some stinkers. His development was set back by a series of injuries. Though if Sandstrom, Ersson and Ustimenko are all healthy, it's a bit crowded.

There are worse problems you can have.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The only reason I could see them not brining back Jones next season could be that they might not be able to afford him and his 2M cap hit.
Fletcher likes his Vets and I assume he would carry 3 goalies to start the season if Fedotov signs.

• Wow
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad