Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 188: Ivan Fedotov, G, Reaktor Nizhnekamsk (MHL --> KHL)| 3/29 CSKA contract terminated, may join Flyers soon, new contract 4/23 2x3.25M

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I didn't realize sandstrom was unrestricted. If he isn't given the opportunity to compete for an NHL job he'll probably look elsewhere or go back to Europe.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

How does a 6'7 25 year old goalie, who has been putting up great numbers in the KHL for his first three straight seasons that he has started, who has been Russia's starting Olympic goalie, who is now dominating the KHL playoffs, not have universal hype? He barely even has hype on the Flyers board, let alone elsewhere.

Maybe I am just desperate for some kind of hope in my Flyers fandom, but I just don't understand what I am missing with why things have been so relatively quiet about Fedotov. Are his numbers deceiving?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Don’t worry. He will be ready some time next decade.

Really nice for us to have a couple different goalie prospects that, with little to no stretches of the imagination, have nhl back up potential. Hart seems to be the real deal and any additional lottery balls is good news.

Doesn't really matter since the sad-sacks in charge are going to re-sign Jones or some other 30+. They are beyond desperate to be relevant again next season and if there is one thing we know about desperate NHL execs, they are not going to put their trust in inexperienced players even if the reward outweighs the risk.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
How does a 6'7 25 year old goalie, who has been putting up great numbers in the KHL for his first three straight seasons that he has started, who has been Russia's starting Olympic goalie, who is now dominating the KHL playoffs, not have universal hype? He barely even has hype on the Flyers board, let alone elsewhere.

Maybe I am just desperate for some kind of hope in my Flyers fandom, but I just don't understand what I am missing with why things have been so relatively quiet about Fedotov. Are his numbers deceiving?

I suggested acquiring him on the Sabres board for a pick. That got shut down because everybody is dead set on Strauss Mann. Because he played with Portillo at Michigan and is free.

People are just weird.

Reactions: Redpath

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sandstrom played 13 AHL games over three years before this season, and has a .901 Sv%.
He's not ready for prime time.

Fedotov was under contract, had a good season in 2020-21, then took it up a notch in 2021-22, and up another notch this spring in the Olympics and KHL playoffs. He's ready for prime time.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sandstrom played 13 AHL games over three years before this season, and has a .901 Sv%.
He's not ready for prime time.

Fedotov was under contract, had a good season in 2020-21, then took it up a notch in 2021-22, and up another notch this spring in the Olympics and KHL playoffs. He's ready for prime time.

I say we surgically increase his wingspan to 90" and make him exercise his hands until he can crush marbles into dust.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
I think we're a little too pessimistic about the Flyers not bringing Fedotov over. They LOVE size, they re-signed Risto! They'll see 6 foot 8 and auto sign him!

Unless we only want small goaltenders (Hart) and big lumbering slow skaters. Which would totally be on brand for the flyers. After all, Bernie Parent was only 5' 10" and Hextall was 6' 3" which is a little on the big side for a Flyers starting goaltender. Even Pelle Lindbergh was only 5' 9" (RIP) and he was a stud.

Our best forward ever was Eric Lindros, and he was 6' 4"! The Flyers Formula WORKS. Sign BIG centers like Hayes (6' 5" AKA Stud foot Fight) and SMALL goalies like Cahtah Haht (hit with the kids)

Obligatory I like Carter Hart before I'm accused of hating.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Shhhhhhh, we don't want anything bad to happen to him so we don't let on that we are excited.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Doesn't really matter since the sad-sacks in charge are going to re-sign Jones or some other 30+. They are beyond desperate to be relevant again next season and if there is one thing we know about desperate NHL execs, they are not going to put their trust in inexperienced players even if the reward outweighs the risk.

Same. Odds of Jones re-signing are probably around 70%, mostly due to his hesitation.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
He can only play for the Flyers... well... for the next 2 years at least anyway.

But yeh, should give him a shot to be back-up next year for sure. Hope they do...

He SHOULD. I really hope that Flyers management's combined two brain cells suddenly have an enlightenment and they make him a back up next season. That's a long shot to hope for but... Let's see.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I think we're a little too pessimistic about the Flyers not bringing Fedotov over. They LOVE size, they re-signed Risto! They'll see 6 foot 8 and auto sign him!

Unless we only want small goaltenders (Hart) and big lumbering slow skaters. Which would totally be on brand for the flyers. After all, Bernie Parent was only 5' 10" and Hextall was 6' 3" which is a little on the big side for a Flyers starting goaltender. Even Pelle Lindbergh was only 5' 9" (RIP) and he was a stud.

Our best forward ever was Eric Lindros, and he was 6' 4"! The Flyers Formula WORKS. Sign BIG centers like Hayes (6' 5" AKA Stud foot Fight) and SMALL goalies like Cahtah Haht (hit with the kids)

Obligatory I like Carter Hart before I'm accused of hating.
Peak Lindros was awesome and I know you are moving the goal posts for your thought but the discussion begins and ends with Clarke

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
Peak Lindros was awesome and I know you are moving the goal posts for your thought but the discussion begins and ends with Clarke
Please understand I was being very facetious with my posting. Peak Lindros was definitely a force to be reckoned with but of course in hindsight we still could've won cups with the pieces we traded for Lindros. Somehow Lindros was still the wrong move, especially with how his career ended up. (Clarke's fault, but lindros allegedly sleeping with brindamours life doesnt help either haha)

Part of my post was pointing out the mentality management has of it still being the 80s/90s where you can just throw money in to big players and grind to a SCF appearance, with a focus on of a physically huge players like how Lindros was both one of the most talented players of all time but also physically imposing. Of course when they drafted him they didn't actually know how great he really was going to be.

I was using lindros as an example of a successful large player against our current largest player Kevin Hayes who management seems to be infatuated with despite his mediocre performance.

cheers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad