Prospect Info: Round 7 #193 - EDGARS KULDA

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
Edgars Kulda is my new irrational man crush prospect, taking over the position held for the past three seasons by Andy Miele.

When it was all said and done I wanted to walk away with Fiala and Kulda. Fiala went one pick before us(Screw you Dave Moss and your stupid game 82 heroics), and we got Eddie in the 7th round? Can't be too upset about that.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Huge upside potential with Kulda for getting him at #193. Seems to be a really likeable guy too. Awesome job Yotes.

BrPizU1CIAE-Obv.jpg

Kulda Approved!

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
So, what are everyones expectations with kulda in the future? upside? I think he can become a very servicable bottom six player who scores from time to time.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Really surprised he dropped so far in the draft after the playoffs he had in Edmonton. Great pick!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So, what are everyones expectations with kulda in the future? upside? I think he can become a very servicable bottom six player who scores from time to time.

Gilbert Brule had a pretty good run here the best year the franchise ever had. I could see him being a slightly larger, more assertive version of that. Or a smaller, more 'awake' Korpikosiki. He's got the intangibles that can keep him in the league in a bottom six role. If he can translate his game to the speed of the AHL and NHL, I think he'll have a solid career.

I don't expect him to break out and be a great top 6 forward or anything. He does have chemistry with Samuelsson. But Henrik has the raw physical tools to be more than a 3rd liner. Not sure with Kulda.

Love the pick regardless. It shows a willingness to draft guys that might not have the best measurables but that can just flat out play.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010

You tell us man, assuming you are from Latvia. I'm super stoked about this guy though. Memorial cup MVP in the 7th round? I'll take it. And Latvians have been making noise in the hockey world lately.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I was reading the article on the Coyotes website about Kulda, and while my expectations are low for him, he seems like a great personality. It's not just this article that gives me that impression. He just seems like a real likable, down to earth guy. I really hope he can exceed my expectations and become a solid two-way scoring winger in the NHL.

Plus a Kulda - Samuelsson line could end up being pretty legit in 3-4 years.

crik

Jul 29, 2013
Riga
He is in Dinamo Riga (KHL) training camp now. And he have big chances to play in KHL this year

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If he signs in KHL this is a wasted pick. Sorry. We didn't do our homework.

He was born and raised in Riga. Would it be all that bad if a played a season, or two, for his hometown big league club before coming over and trying to crack the NHL roster full time?

Also, maybe teams did do their homework, including us. Many fans expected NHL teams to reach for him and take him too early, as in the late 2nd or early 3rd, after his amazing season. Maybe the reason they didn't, the reason he "fell" is because teams (including us) knew he was planning on playing in the KHL for a season or two, if he got the chance to do so. Maybe we figured our Oil Kings connections, and overall dearth of forward talent would be enough to lure the kid back if he showed well enough in the KHL to be given a shot with us. Maybe we figured that was worth our last pick in the draft.

I'm okay with it.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Here are our 7th rounders over the last several years, I think I'm ok with picking someone who can actually play. :yo:

2013 - Jedd Soleway
2012 - Hache
2011 - Larraza
2008 - Billingsley
2006 - Frank, Ferrero
2005 - Brosnihan

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He was born and raised in Riga. Would it be all that bad if a played a season, or two, for his hometown big league club before coming over and trying to crack the NHL roster full time?

Also, maybe teams did do their homework, including us. Many fans expected NHL teams to reach for him and take him too early, as in the late 2nd or early 3rd, after his amazing season. Maybe the reason they didn't, the reason he "fell" is because teams (including us) knew he was planning on playing in the KHL for a season or two, if he got the chance to do so. Maybe we figured our Oil Kings connections, and overall dearth of forward talent would be enough to lure the kid back if he showed well enough in the KHL to be given a shot with us. Maybe we figured that was worth our last pick in the draft.

I'm okay with it.

I get your view. I just have a differing opinion. The whole point in drafting a 20 year old is we get a chance to groom him in our system. Potentially playing him with Samuellson to see if their chemistry can carry over to the AHL. Losing that opportunity (and don't we just lose his rights now in 2 years?) puts us another year behind in developing his defensive game. Instead we risk him developing bad habits in the year that we've lost control. It's a 7th rounder and a huge gamble regardless who we select. I get that. I just question playing Russian roulette with the development of a prospect.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Why would we lose his rights in two years?

And he won't turn 20 until mid November.

What does the CBA say about rights retention in this case? He can't go back in the draft so my theory is he's a UFA if we don't sign him.

Again, goes to my point that if we don't sign him immediately to play in the AHL then why was he selected?

Hopefully I'm wrong on rights.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm the last guy you should ask about the new CBA. Hell, any of them. Haha. :)

Perhaps he's just training with the KHL team because he's a local. How many times have we read reports of former Coyotes training with our team in Scottsdale, just because they live here? It always generates rumors. Usually it doesn't mean anything.

Either way, I suspect Edgars wants to play in the NHL, first and foremost.

He's got some options:

Play in the AHL this year, or play in the KHL this year.

The AHL route won't pay nearly as much. He'll be far from home, playing in small US cities, and riding the bus. I'm sure in Riga he'd be famous, well compensated, and would be playing in a top league. So that's the upshot of signing in the KHL this year. I think there's a catch, though, and one I suspect he's smart enough to recognize (especially given what his brother went through as a North American Pro). If he goes to the KHL, and fails to impress, while simultaneously blowing a year of NHL ELC eligibility, he might never get another two-way NHL contract again. However, if he comes to play in the AHL, wastes a couple of seasons, and never truly gets his NHL career going (just like his brother) the KHL will always be waiting for him (just like it was for his brother).

I think it'd be short-sighted for Edgars to jeopardize his NHL chance just to play for his "fall back" league a little sooner.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Either way, I suspect Edgars wants to play in the NHL, first and foremost.

Yeah he didnt come over and spend two years in Edmonton just to crack his home team in the KHL. There was a story about how he sat in the NHL draft room waiting each round as his name wasnt called out.

That's a guy who wants to be in the NHL.

Succeeding at the AHL level is very tough though. Not many Coyote prospects do it. Many with impressive junior achievements have faltered completely from Redenbach to Martinook. Hopefully whatever he chooses to do, the Coyotes keep a good relationship with him, much as they did with the 18yo OEL who was very attached to his home team. Arent Riga one of the weaker teams in the KHL? That may not be a bad thing for developing his defensive awareness.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Here are our 7th rounders over the last several years, I think I'm ok with picking someone who can actually play. :yo:

2013 - Jedd Soleway
2012 - Hache
2011 - Larraza
2008 - Billingsley
2006 - Frank, Ferrero
2005 - Brosnihan

Ferreiro was picked up by San Jose and will probably play 100 games in the NHL. Not too bad.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I get your view. I just have a differing opinion. The whole point in drafting a 20 year old is we get a chance to groom him in our system. Potentially playing him with Samuellson to see if their chemistry can carry over to the AHL. Losing that opportunity (and don't we just lose his rights now in 2 years?) puts us another year behind in developing his defensive game. Instead we risk him developing bad habits in the year that we've lost control. It's a 7th rounder and a huge gamble regardless who we select. I get that. I just question playing Russian roulette with the development of a prospect.
I feel like there's a large body of evidence that suggests Portland isn't the best place for our prospects anyway :biglaugh:

We hold Kulda's rights for 2 years. There's zero chance he skates even 1 shift in Glendale this season, so let him go back to Latvia, let Riga pay him, let him get a bunch of ice time and let's check back next summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad