Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick #162: Merrick Madsen, Goaltender, Proctor Academy (USHS-NH)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
25 is my cutoff age for the prospects polls, so Lyon will have one more shot at them this summer.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Is there any chance we get excited about this kid? I know nothing of the league.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thought he's only a junior next season.

A player who lacks the confidence to compete against top talent isn't a huge loss.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Thought he's only a junior next season.

A player who lacks the confidence to compete against top talent isn't a huge loss.

It's not lacking confidence to compete, it's a smart business decision on his part. Would you stay at your current place of employment if you knew there were more than likely 4-5 people you were vying with for 1 promotion in the next couple years?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It's not lacking confidence to compete, it's a smart business decision on his part. Would you stay at your current place of employment if you knew there were more than likely 4-5 people you were vying with for 1 promotion in the next couple years?

and if he was beat for jobs by better prospects people like deadhead would call him a bust and a bad pick. This board is predictable like that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Same thing was said about Friedman and he signed here.

These guys don't see themselves as better or worse prospects than their peers, like we do. They're confident in themselves and are willing to fight for spots (usually).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

These guys don't see themselves as better or worse prospects than their peers, like we do. They're confident in themselves and are willing to fight for spots (usually).

What's his best case next season? AHL backup or is he heading to ECHL if he signs?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Which was my point, whereever you go there is competition, or there will be (i.e. no team will make you their only option). If you don't welcome competition (that is, think you're better) then you probably lack the mental toughness to succeed.

Now if the Flyers had an Allstar goalie with a 6 year contract, that's a different matter, because you'd conclude it wouldn't be a fair contest (see Bob).

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers could have Hart & Sandstrom entering the minors at the same time. It's not like forward or defensemen when you're dealing with 12 & 6 spots up for grabs. No shame in being concerned if there's enough opportunity to develop fully there if there's options elsewhere.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Duh, if he avoids the competition with Hart and Sandstrum, it means he doesn't think he's superior, since it's going to be an even playing field. And one of the keys to success in professional sports is the sort of self delusion that drives players to think they can make it when the odds are stacked against them.

So it's self-selection, if he doesn't have that kind of inflated self-confidence, he's less likely to succeed (i.e. every setback will be confirmation that he's not good enough).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not really. Again three goalies, two spots. Unlike those two he has the option to look around & see what else is out there.

There's a reason he's at where he's at & you're just a guy (along with everybody else on here) who's talking on the internet. He's owes nobody but himself to do what's best for his career.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He's a senior next year. If he doesn't sign with the Flyers by 8/15/18 he becomes a free agent. If he can get an AHL starting job on another team instead of possibly being in the ECHL for 18-19 behind Sandstrom and Hart, then that would be a smart career move.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He's a senior next year. If he doesn't sign with the Flyers by 8/15/18 he becomes a free agent. If he can get an AHL starting job on another team instead of possibly being in the ECHL for 18-19 behind Sandstrom and Hart, then that would be a smart career move.

no no.....it means he has no confidence in himself so is less likely to succeed.

Oh so I have read....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At his age, he should be less concerned with other prospects than whether the veteran goalies are under long-term deals that would block his prospects to make the NHL team a couple years down the road.

The goal for most players is not to start in the AHL.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
At his age, he should be less concerned with other prospects than whether the veteran goalies are under long-term deals that would block his prospects to make the NHL team a couple years down the road.

The goal for most players is not to start in the AHL.

Yeah....because lots of goalies make the jump from college to the NHL.

Just stop with your foolishness. It's common sense that he would look at 2 high picks in Hart and Sandstrom BOTH PLAYING WELL, and see that his road to the NHL is harder in Philly than it is on a team with crap goalie depth.

You know this. I am confident you are not that dumb.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Look at Lyon, he signed here despite Stolarz and those prospects.
That's because coming out of college, he expected to beat them out and both NHL goalies were on short-term deals.

Not saying Madsen should sign here, just that if he thinks he's a NHL goalie, coming out as a senior, his focus will be more on the NHL team, because if he can't beat out younger prospects at his age, he's got a limited future. He'll be 23 next summer, so he's two to three years older than Hart and Sandstrom.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah....because lots of goalies make the jump from college to the NHL.

Just stop with your foolishness. It's common sense that he would look at 2 high picks in Hart and Sandstrom BOTH PLAYING WELL, and see that his road to the NHL is harder in Philly than it is on a team with crap goalie depth.

You know this. I am confident you are not that dumb.

He's not capable of that request.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad