Draft Round 6 #183 Ty Henricks - LW - USHL

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Where is he playing next season? Get him in Hartford ASAP.

Just turned 18 a couple days ago. He's big, strong, physical already. 6'4 205 as a 17 year old and playing in the USHL and running over older guys. As far as skills it looks like his skating is already pretty good. The rest of his package is raw and needs some developing....
just turned 18 THIS WEEK
he'll be back in USHL unless NYR JTMiller/Tambellini him to go WHL
from EP:"Drafted 2020, 2 #28 overall by Brandon Wheat Kings in the WHL US Prospect Draft

Reactions: eco's bones

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
just turned 18 THIS WEEK
he'll be back in USHL unless NYR JTMiller/Tambellini him to go WHL
from EP:"Drafted 2020, 2 #28 overall by Brandon Wheat Kings in the WHL US Prospect Draft
is there a fear he is too weak and too small for AHL? What more is he going to develop in USHL? we need to think outside the box and try new things and methods.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
is there a fear he is too weak and too small for AHL? What more is he going to develop in USHL? we need to think outside the box and try new things and methods.
I thought North American prospects can’t play in the AHL until 20?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers aren't going to put an 18 year old they just drafted in the 6th round in the AHL. Henricks is way too raw. He needs to develop his skills.

Reactions: surlysailor

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Some clarification on his timeline: one more year in the USHL then going to Western Michigan. That makes way more sense than the 25-26 start

Reactions: NYR Viper

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I thought North American prospects can’t play in the AHL until 20?
I thought it applied only to WHL, OHL, QMJHL and I think it was 20 or 3 full seasons whichever is earlier.

Players drafted out of major juniors (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) are not AHL eligible unless they:

- Turn 20 by December 31st of that season, or

- Have completed 4 full seasons of major junior hockey, or

- Are released by their major junior team

- Were playing major junior hockey on loan (Sandin, Zadina etc)

This rule is exclusive to the CHL-NHL agreement first agreed upon in 1969. Recently that agreement was extended until 2029.

Players in European leagues are AHL eligible unless they are:

- Drafted outside the 1st round, AND

- Have not turned 22 years old by July 1st of that season

- Are under contract with a team in Europe

In that case, the player has to return to Europe for the 1st year of their entry level contract. Starting the 2nd year, they can play in the AHL.

Players who play in USHL or NCAA do not have any limitations as long as they are signed to an ELC.

Reactions: Crease

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Players drafted out of major juniors (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) are not AHL eligible unless they:

- Turn 20 by December 31st of that season, or

- Have completed 4 full seasons of major junior hockey, or

- Are released by their major junior team

- Were playing major junior hockey on loan (Sandin, Zadina etc)

This rule is exclusive to the CHL-NHL agreement first agreed upon in 1969. Recently that agreement was extended until 2029.

Players in European leagues are AHL eligible unless they are:

- Drafted outside the 1st round, AND

- Have not turned 22 years old by July 1st of that season

- Are under contract with a team in Europe

In that case, the player has to return to Europe for the 1st year of their entry level contract. Starting the 2nd year, they can play in the AHL.

Players who play in USHL or NCAA do not have any limitations as long as they are signed to an ELC.

Nice, so we can sign USHL monsters we drafted and have them develop in AHL or ECHL instead of NCAA if both parties feel it is a good idea. I am guessing they lose out on the college scholarship but will get a better chance to become NHL players.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nice, so we can sign USHL monsters we drafted and have them develop in AHL or ECHL instead of NCAA if both parties feel it is a good idea. I am guessing they lose out on the college scholarship but will get a better chance to become NHL players.

In theory, yes. But a lot of these late round picks probably prefer to go the college route to get a decent education because 95% of them will not make enough money playing hockey to even last 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad