Draft Round 6 #183 Ty Henricks - LW - USHL

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Not ranked by Hockey Prospects
- Big winger, with some long-term potential.
- His skating is only average, but the small area footwork is surprisingly decent. He looks like he’ll be mobile as his core strength, leg strength, and stride length improve.
- flashes some pretty nifty stickwork and some angle-change shooting that makes him a potential
threat on the rush.
- His playmaking game is pretty weak, which isn’t unexpected from a player with such limited exposure to super-high level hockey. But also, we question his mental processor in general, so it’ll be something to watch.
- when he sees an opportunity to mix it up or get into the paint – he will.
- Even if the hockey sense doesn’t necessarily look overly promising, there’s just enough boxes that are being checked off here (or, rather, partially shaded) for a player of this size and age that it’s worth considering a late round pick on this Western Michigan commit.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Seems like another candidate in their continuous attempt to have a pipeline of guys that can step in and fill depth minutes for cheap. Wouldn’t be my preferred method of building, but I get the logic behind it.

They’re probably trying to copy the same template as Vegas with having depth guys like Carrier and Kolesar

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Reactions: nyr2k2

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Another big boy, 6'5. Going to the NCAA

hey OP FYI no 'd' in his last name ...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I saw the same on elite prospects but that seems really off.

Not sure how reliable but this says this year

Thanks. I always check College Hockey News. They also have him as 25-26 (that may be where EP is getting it). They're not always right but they're pretty good. They had Lamb a year later, but that was actually correct as the school asked him to start his commitment a year early.

Guess we'll wait and see.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
hey OP FYI no 'd' in his last name ...

Auto correct got me. Updated.

Thanks. I always check College Hockey News. They also have him as 25-26 (that may be where EP is getting it). They're not always right but they're pretty good. They had Lamb a year later, but that was actually correct as the school asked him to start his commitment a year early.

Guess we'll wait and see.

Seems odd to be starting 3 seasons from now. He'd be 21.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
'25-26 is just 2 years from now
he was born June'05 (not yet 18),
so IF entering school that fall he'd just be 20

Age math was off a bit, but he would start 3 seasons from now. His 23-24 season is his age 18 season, 24-25 is his 19, 25-26 would be his age 20 season. I'm probably not saying it right lol

Doesn't sound right to play in the ushl for 2 more seasons then start college, especially at his size.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah starting at 20 wouldn't be particularly unusual. Maybe more so for an NHL draft pick, but otherwise not unusual.

You look at WMU's team last year and the average age was 22 and a half. In the NCAA for every guy you have that's 18 or 19 you'll have 2 or 3 that are 22, 23. Lots of guys that are 24 or older. WMU has a guy who turned 26 in May and may actually be eligible for another year. Exceptions are when you have programs like Michigan who always have a bunch of guys who only spend a season or two before going pro. That skews it lower.

But yeah, for a drafted player you'd usually expect to see them skating in the NCAA by age 19, barring some unusual circumstances or unless they're coming from Europe or something.

Reactions: eco's bones

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Yeah starting at 20 wouldn't be particularly unusual. Maybe more so for an NHL draft pick, but otherwise not unusual.

You look at WMU's team last year and the average age was 22 and a half. In the NCAA for every guy you have that's 18 or 19 you'll have 2 or 3 that are 22, 23. Lots of guys that are 24 or older. WMU has a guy who turned 26 in May and may actually be eligible for another year. Exceptions are when you have programs like Michigan who always have a bunch of guys who only spend a season or two before going pro. That skews it lower.

But yeah, for a drafted player you'd usually expect to see them skating in the NCAA by age 19, barring some unusual circumstances or unless they're coming from Europe or something.
Yeah I can see this season playing in thr USHL but after that he should be playing in thr NCAA.

Reactions: nyr2k2

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Age math was off a bit, but he would start 3 seasons from now. His 23-24 season is his age 18 season, 24-25 is his 19, 25-26 would be his age 20 season. I'm probably not saying it right lol

Doesn't sound right to play in the ushl for 2 more seasons then start college, especially at his size.
i dont disagree, and as has been seen w Lamb, sometimes long commitments are are accelerated

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just turned 18 a couple days ago. He's big, strong, physical already. 6'4 205 as a 17 year old and playing in the USHL and running over older guys. As far as skills it looks like his skating is already pretty good. The rest of his package is raw and needs some developing. Brody Lamb was drafted and played in the USHL the next year so Henricks already has more experience in that league. One thing if he continues to hit people he's probably going to have to back it up now and again

Reactions: bhamill

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3