Draft Round 6 #178 Dylan Roobroeck - Center - OHL

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Granted this is a 20 year old against 16 and 17 year old kids, but that highlight is why I think the Rangers took a chance on him. His skating and size give him a shot at making the NHL one day.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Granted this is a 20 year old against 16 and 17 year old kids, but that highlight is why I think the Rangers took a chance on him. His skating and size give him a shot at making the NHL one day.
Roobroeck is 19, but yes, the guy he beat is 17. He moves well for a big guy, but I don't see him beating many defenders that way at higher levels. Hopefully he's learning to use that size to create room for himself and his linemates.

Reactions: E-Train and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That goal was very junior hockey. Honestly Roobroeck wasn't even skating that fast, and he caught a young kid flat footed. The kid made it worse by getting caught in between and then stumbled when he pivoted.

It's encouraging that he has the instinct to try to blow past a guy on the outside and take it hard to the net. Whether he has the ability to do that as he gets older and the competition gets better is doubtful, but you never know. I'll be rooting for him and he's certainly worth following.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
2k beat me to the punch, that's the most OHL goal I think I've ever seen

Reactions: nyr2k2

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
2k beat me to the punch, that's the most OHL goal I think I've ever seen
Yup. Evgeny Grachev scored a ton of similar goals. It is worth noting that Vince, I think, did say that he turned some heads in the early days of camp in the sense of "whoa, who's that guy" kind of way. Would be nice if he can develop into a checking line forward.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah I mean he put together a solid season last year, there could be something there. Let's hope so.

Sometimes you do have to remind yourself when watching junior hockey that most guys on the ice have no NHL skills and won't even end up as ECHL-caliber players, or play professionally at any level. A smaller percentage will be decent pro players and a very small percentage will become NHL players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad