Draft Round 6 #178 Dylan Roobroeck - Center - OHL

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Another huge late rounder. I'm alright with it. I'm okay with the Gettinger's, Edstrom's and Rempe's too. Edstrom looks like he might be the best so far though Gettinger is a good AHL player. Rempe had a pretty good first year pro at least to my estimation. I wasn't expecting he was going to stick in Hartford and he did okay. Tough kid too. If he can build off last year is the question with him.

Reactions: leetch99

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Another huge late rounder. I'm alright with it. I'm okay with the Gettinger's, Edstrom's and Rempe's too. Edstrom looks like he might be the best so far though Gettinger is a good AHL player. Rempe had a pretty good first year pro at least to my estimation. I wasn't expecting he was going to stick in Hartford and he did okay. Tough kid too. If he can build off last year is the question with him.
I think all these guys are decent AHL players. I just wonder if this type of player is entirely necessary. There are other body types that can get you similar results on the ice -- strong, hard hitting guy, who can create havoc on the forecheck and just sorta just be hard to move out of the front of the net. But I think you can get similar players who maybe have a bit more skill and mobility at smaller heights. I think it's maybe over-indexing on height and length when maybe skating, IQ and trucculence likely suffice. a 5' 11" kid that can skate really well, hits like a tank and has a thick trunk is probably a better fit for a bottom 6 role. These big guys mangle opponents at the lower levels, but their skating and lack of agility or edgework seem to hold them back from making the ultimate jump.

It's a bit wild to me that we don't seem to draft anyone in the later rounds that compare to Fast or Hagelin. It could be that the rest of the league has come to value guys like this so much that they don't fall to the later rounds as much, but it does seem like a very low percentage play to keep picking these behemoths.

That said, I don't feel super passionate one way or the other. It's an interesting approach but so far there's been no positive impact on the varsity. I suppose the biggest positive is we're not taking these guys in the first two rounds any more. Hugh Jessiman and Mcilrath being more recent examples. I don't count K'Andre as he clearly had the kind of skill and speed that made his length far more effective at every level.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think all these guys are decent AHL players. I just wonder if this type of player is entirely necessary. There are other body types that can get you similar results on the ice -- strong, hard hitting guy, who can create havoc on the forecheck and just sorta just be hard to move out of the front of the net. But I think you can get similar players who maybe have a bit more skill and mobility at smaller heights. I think it's maybe over-indexing on height and length when maybe skating, IQ and trucculence likely suffice. a 5' 11" kid that can skate really well, hits like a tank and has a thick trunk is probably a better fit for a bottom 6 role. These big guys mangle opponents at the lower levels, but their skating and lack of agility or edgework seem to hold them back from making the ultimate jump.

It's a bit wild to me that we don't seem to draft anyone in the later rounds that compare to Fast or Hagelin. It could be that the rest of the league has come to value guys like this so much that they don't fall to the later rounds as much, but it does seem like a very low percentage play to keep picking these behemoths.

That said, I don't feel super passionate one way or the other. It's an interesting approach but so far there's been no positive impact on the varsity. I suppose the biggest positive is we're not taking these guys in the first two rounds any more. Hugh Jessiman and Mcilrath being more recent examples. I don't count K'Andre as he clearly had the kind of skill and speed that made his length far more effective at every level.

FWIW looking at the other guys we drafted in 2016---Day, Reunanen etc. Gettinger was the best player we picked out of that draft. It wasn't a particularly strong draft and we didn't have a 1st round pick. He's played the most NHL games and he's been the better AHL player.

Depending on how Jones and Robertson turn out Edstrom has a chance at being the second best player (after Kakko) from our 2019 draft. He was impressive after coming over from Sweden late in the season. Next year will give us more information on all three of them. Edstrom's size, strength, defensive play might give him a shot at a 4th line job with the Rangers as early as next season. I don't think he has more upside with us than that but he is a guy who has made steady progress since we drafted him.

Rangers took Rempe in the 6th in a very good 2020 draft. We have Lafreniere and Schneider already established. Garand after last year's playoffs looks like he'll be something---possibly Berard. it's not like the Rangers aren't picking different types. I don't think Rempe is near the NHL at least not yet. If he can become a better player....his physical play, his willingness to agitate and fight add to what he has. He's the type though who could take several years and if he does make it might make it with someone else.

Roobroeck is an overage player but he put up nice numbers---53 points---nearing a point a game in the OHL last year. For a 6th round pick that's hardly terrible. It's not like he comes across as a complete slug.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
huge-bitch-deuce-bigalow.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00