Prospect Info: Round 5, 135th overall: Carter Sotheran, RHD, Portland (WHL)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I know you were joking, but I have thought about that scenario a lot - can a team which runs out six second-pairing guys contend for a championship? I think it's pretty interesting. I don't get caught up in whether or not it has ever happened - there's always room for a new paradigm. I just wonder if it's possible.

Pittsburgh won a Cup without Letang. That's the best I can do.

It looked like this

1688138359565.png

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Seen Sotheran play two years ago a few times in the Manitoba AAA midget league for Pembina Valley Hawks the same team Wade Allison played for a year .

He is big and a pretty good skater but not sure about NHL potential . He has some tools so a 5th round pick is not expensive to see how he pans out .

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I know you were joking, but I have thought about that scenario a lot - can a team which runs out six second-pairing guys contend for a championship? I think it's pretty interesting. I don't get caught up in whether or not it has ever happened - there's always room for a new paradigm. I just wonder if it's possible.
There are few true #1s, Pronger types who dominate games.
Most #1s are really #2s, very good D-men who can play 25 minutes a night and be a positive force.
If you have a couple #2s and can build enough depth to avoid playing #6/#7 types for 15 minutes a night, that can probably balance not having a true #1.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
I am half joking and half serious. I think the Flyers with their current prospect pool hitting their projections and being able to play at the NHL level and eat some minutes, we could have a middle 6 D corp instead of top to bottom.

If we KEEP sanheim, he's proven to not be a liability and eat a lot of minutes. If we have 6 sanheims (different handedness ofc) and our bottom 2 centers are 200 ft 2/3C caliber players Could that put the Flyers in a contending spot? We'll have elite depth at wing (strong 3/4th line), Need a 1C, Hopefully We have Fedotov/Kolosov/Ersson++ in net.
(flip goal tending + extra wings into a package for a mid tier playdriving 1C maybe to make space for Goots and Mitchy).

4 scoring lines, no garbage defensemen, elite goaltending, role playing centers. Maybe that's a sustainable model for a contending team. I truly think the Lopsided top end model will never work, See 2010's flyers for mid tier, current Edmonton/Toronto for the high end. If Edmonton/TOR do win a cup theyll have to blow it up super quickly after or just be stuck draining skill.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I am half joking and half serious. I think the Flyers with their current prospect pool hitting their projections and being able to play at the NHL level and eat some minutes, we could have a middle 6 D corp instead of top to bottom.

If we KEEP sanheim, he's proven to not be a liability and eat a lot of minutes. If we have 6 sanheims (different handedness ofc) and our bottom 2 centers are 200 ft 2/3C caliber players Could that put the Flyers in a contending spot? We'll have elite depth at wing (strong 3/4th line), Need a 1C, Hopefully We have Fedotov/Kolosov/Ersson++ in net.
(flip goal tending + extra wings into a package for a mid tier playdriving 1C maybe to make space for Goots and Mitchy).

4 scoring lines, no garbage defensemen, elite goaltending, role playing centers. Maybe that's a sustainable model for a contending team. I truly think the Lopsided top end model will never work, See 2010's flyers for mid tier, current Edmonton/Toronto for the high end. If Edmonton/TOR do win a cup theyll have to blow it up super quickly after or just be stuck draining skill.

Our 80s teams were kind of like that. We had a true 1D in Howe and a PP deity in Kerr, but it was spread around quite a bit. Our 4th line was pure thuggery, but you replace that with decent two-way hockey players and you may have something. That's where the genesis of this idea came from for me.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
Our 80s teams were kind of like that. We had a true 1D in Howe and a PP deity in Kerr, but it was spread around quite a bit. Our 4th line was pure thuggery, but you replace that with decent two-way hockey players and you may have something. That's where the genesis of this idea came from for me.
I think in a cap league sustained success comes from line depth. Remember, majority of our Goals Against in this previous era were when the scrubs were on the ice. If there were no scrubs on the ice, our GAA would be way lower. I dont think the flyers will find more elite talent than Michkov, luckily he will be on an ELC until he is like 24. When we pay michkov we have to build a team that can afford him without chopping us at the knees. He will be 12+ Million. If our back end had 6 3-5 million dollar Dmen then maybe we can go ham up front. Also will have expensive goaltenders. Delicate balance. Teams like Colorado/Tampa/Vegas had to rely on really good contracts to win.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
There are few true #1s, Pronger types who dominate games.
Most #1s are really #2s, very good D-men who can play 25 minutes a night and be a positive force.
If you have a couple #2s and can build enough depth to avoid playing #6/#7 types for 15 minutes a night, that can probably balance not having a true #1.

The Flyers have never lacked for defensemen who play on the ice like number two's.

And it number one's me off.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad