Prospect Info: Round 5, 135th overall: Carter Sotheran, RHD, Portland (WHL)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

He boasts a better physical game than most 17-year-olds I’ve ever seen in junior hockey, ragdolling guys in board battles and boxing out opposing forwards in front of his own net with ease. The crazy thing is that Sotheran has even more room to grow into his frame, which should allow him to handle NHL physicality in a few years. Sotheran’s gap control (the ability to maintain a safe/smart gap between him and the opposing attacker) is quite mature already and he’s always ready to be the last man back on defense, especially when his regular defense partner, Luca Cagnoni, cheats a bit for offense.

Sotheran’s offensive game hasn’t been particularly dynamic for most of his draft year, which is why he isn’t being heralded as a top-two round pick by most people. However, I think a big reason that’s the case is that he was paired with Cagnoni for most of the season, one of the best pure-offensive defenders in the class. Carrying the defensive load for the entire pairing this year left Sotheran much fewer opportunities to show off his offensive skills.

His hockey sense shows up again when he’s transitioning the puck up ice, where Sotheran is good at attracting attention before passing ahead to teammates in space. He has shown glimpses of skill with the puck, moving around and through defenders in traffic, but he hasn’t been empowered to play that way for most of the year so his offensive game has looked pretty limited for much of the year.

saophim

Mar 19, 2015
Prague
McKeen's:

Sotheran was one of the best-kept secrets in the WHL early on in the season, but word quickly spread and that didn't last long. He was far from a lock to even make a Winterhawks team that was already deep on the blueline, and not only did he crack their roster as a rookie, but he also formed an established 1-2 punch with Luca Cagnoni, working as the defense-first yin to the offense-first yang of his partner. Even more importantly, his steep upward trajectory strongly suggested that a lot more progress is on the horizon for him.
Tall, smooth-skating defensemen can dictate the play at the NHL level to a degree that other types of players cannot. It was exciting to watch Sotheran this season because you could see him slowly but surely learning this in real time, sometimes even one shift to the next. He just kept getting more efficient and effective with how he could swallow up opposing forwards, separate them from the puck, and help his team take the first steps with their newest stretch of possession. Sometimes he made it look incredibly easy and other times the execution wasn't quite right, but there was never any doubt about whether his success rate would keep ticking upwards. His upside starts to seem even more enticing once you learn just how much he dominated U18 Triple A hockey in Manitoba last year, winning defenseman of the year after leading the league in both goals and points by a blueliner. Just wait until his confidence reaches another level and Portland lets him play more minutes.
If his offensive game can start growing at even just a fraction of the rate that his defensive game is growing now, then the sky could be the limit for him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Niskanen
Braun
Ellis
Ristolainen
DeAngelo

Attard
Samson
Bonk
Sotheran

RHD traded for or drafted by the Flyers since Flahr has been here.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
McKeen's:

Sotheran was one of the best-kept secrets in the WHL early on in the season, but word quickly spread and that didn't last long. He was far from a lock to even make a Winterhawks team that was already deep on the blueline, and not only did he crack their roster as a rookie, but he also formed an established 1-2 punch with Luca Cagnoni, working as the defense-first yin to the offense-first yang of his partner. Even more importantly, his steep upward trajectory strongly suggested that a lot more progress is on the horizon for him.
Tall, smooth-skating defensemen can dictate the play at the NHL level to a degree that other types of players cannot. It was exciting to watch Sotheran this season because you could see him slowly but surely learning this in real time, sometimes even one shift to the next. He just kept getting more efficient and effective with how he could swallow up opposing forwards, separate them from the puck, and help his team take the first steps with their newest stretch of possession. Sometimes he made it look incredibly easy and other times the execution wasn't quite right, but there was never any doubt about whether his success rate would keep ticking upwards. His upside starts to seem even more enticing once you learn just how much he dominated U18 Triple A hockey in Manitoba last year, winning defenseman of the year after leading the league in both goals and points by a blueliner. Just wait until his confidence reaches another level and Portland lets him play more minutes.
If his offensive game can start growing at even just a fraction of the rate that his defensive game is growing now, then the sky could be the limit for him.
ooh. That's a swing on a player. Ok, I"m on board.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Sotheran was ~0.5 PPG for a good chunk of the early season with no PP time. Playing with Cagnoni helped (crazy they only went a few picks apart). Rate dipped in the second half. The reason he caught my attention was because he was a CHL rookie producing well at ES and he was a big point producer in minor hockey. Led his team in scoring his last two seasons before Portland. Young. Big frame. Similar profile to Sanheim (not that skilled obviously and Sanheim kept ascending). It's hard to find late round gems from the CHL, but these are the ones that pop if they do. He probably won't explode next year with Cagnoni still there but hopefully in his age 19 season.

Skating needs to come a bit and you hope that's just a case of his body maturing. I think he could turn out to be a modern day, defensive defenseman that can actually move pucks and keep cycles alive.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Niskanen
Braun
Ellis
Ristolainen
DeAngelo

Attard
Samson
Bonk
Sotheran

RHD traded for or drafted by the Flyers since Flahr has been here.
Left out Grans.
Doubt Flahr had anything to do with the veteran acquisitions.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I like the pick. Watching video and reading scouting reports, he seems like a Willie Mitchell type of defender. I'm intrigued about his offensive upside though because it seems like there's some untapped potential there.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I like the pick. Watching video and reading scouting reports, he seems like a Willie Mitchell type of defender. I'm intrigued about his offensive upside though because it seems like there's some untapped potential there.

Willie Mitchell is an archetype now? Lol

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I didn't mean to undersell his skillset by predicting his future role. He has a pretty good skill level. Likes to join the rush and activate. He's kinda similar to Bonk tbh. Just with less polish. He just won't be running PPs.
From my huge sample size of one game against Seattle lol.....he will need to make strides in processing the game when the puck gets on his stick. I saw a lot of hot potato passes to his partner, chip outs up the boards and stretch passes to no one that led to icings.

He is a RHD with size that can skate though. Look forward to catching some games in his D +1 year. Should get a look at more special teams as well.

If we took him with a 2nd or 3rd I’d be wtf but I see a potential upside pick IF he can progress in his transition game, especially while under pressure

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not much physical projection, just turned 18 and listed at 6'3 205.
So in a sense, what you see is what you get, at best some incremental improvements.
Any jump will come from experience.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
if this guy learns how to skate up the ice, he can be a good #5 for our new rotating young bottom pairing Dmen. The Flyers will finally stop bringing in old ppl to play 8 mins a night... right?

To compensate for our inability to get #1 d men if we just have 6 2nd pair tier defensemen we can cope until chris pronger comes back.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
if this guy learns how to skate up the ice, he can be a good #5 for our new rotating young bottom pairing Dmen. The Flyers will finally stop bringing in old ppl to play 8 mins a night... right?

To compensate for our inability to get #1 d men if we just have 6 2nd pair tier defensemen we can cope until chris pronger comes back.

I know you were joking, but I have thought about that scenario a lot - can a team which runs out six second-pairing guys contend for a championship? I think it's pretty interesting. I don't get caught up in whether or not it has ever happened - there's always room for a new paradigm. I just wonder if it's possible.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know you were joking, but I have thought about that scenario a lot - can a team which runs out six second-pairing guys contend for a championship? I think it's pretty interesting. I don't get caught up in whether or not it has ever happened - there's always room for a new paradigm. I just wonder if it's possible.
Absolutely, so long as the forwards and goalies are good enough to compensate.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad