Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 109, Connor Bunnaman, F, Kitchener (OHL). (Signed 8/20/21 - 2 yr deal)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bunnaman needs a full AHL season to work on his offensive game and his skating, he can hit, forecheck and play defense, but his offensive skills have been somewhat lacking. He's played 106 AHL games over 3 seasons, and 43 NHL games. So he basically lost a season of development between age 20 and 22.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So why sign Thompson?

Because Bunnaman needs another year of AHL seasoning - you don't want to park him in the press box (next season it's NHL or he's an AAA lifer, that is, by 24 the odds of further improvement with 200+ games of AHL/NHL experience decline substantially).

You want veterans as your #13/#14 forwards (or young players like Cates who is already 24 with 3 college seasons) because they often sit for long stretches, and NHL practice during the season is more sporadic than AHL practices b/c of travel and few days off.

Since LHV is 2 hours away, if an injury opens up a spot it's not a problem calling up someone like Bunnaman, but why park him in the press box when he can be playing 15-20 minutes a night in LHV? His best chance at making the NHL is to get enough PT to work on his offensive skill package, primarily his passing and anticipation, but also his shot b/c his future may be 4LW.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Thompson is a veteran with over 800 NHL games to his credit. Bunnaman is a quality draft pick who should get in around 100 NHL games in his career. At 23 I would think their would be limited improvement going forward. Great depth piece that every team needs but is better playing full time than being a frequent scratch.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thompson is a veteran with over 800 NHL games to his credit. Bunnaman is a quality draft pick who should get in around 100 NHL games in his career. At 23 I would think their would be limited improvement going forward. Great depth piece that every team needs but is better playing full time than being a frequent scratch.

Who the f*** cares? He sucks

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
800 games does not equal suck in anyway or form. You can’t make an argument to counter that. He played regularly in Winnipeg last year.

You also aren’t stagnating any additional development or keeping skills sharp by putting Thompson on the press box.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I think the direct competition of be aggressive or sit would better serve bunny's development than a large amount of time in the ahl. While I think that strategy would be beneficial for rubstov bunny should see 40+ games this year and find his role in the locker room

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
800 games does not equal suck in anyway or form. You can’t make an argument to counter that. He played regularly in Winnipeg last year.

You also aren’t stagnating any additional development or keeping skills sharp by putting Thompson on the press box.

It doesn't matter what Thompson was in the first 650ish games of his career. He's garbage now.

NHL teams reflexively recycling veterans regardless of quality does not prove veterans are inherently good or worthwhile. NHL teams choosing to do anything isn't valid proof of any statement. They routinely make obvious mistakes. This off-season is full of displays showing that

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the direct competition of be aggressive or sit would better serve bunny's development than a large amount of time in the ahl. While I think that strategy would be beneficial for rubstov bunny should see 40+ games this year and find his role in the locker room

Bunny's problem is who would he play over?

Not sure he's as good as Jackson Cates right now, who has two years of USHL and 3 years of college experience.
Cates is one of those "each level" guys, bad first USHL season, 1+ ppg his second, 68g 16-21 37 first two college seasons, 28g 11-16 27 his junior season.
He can skate, plays good defense, PK, so he fills the same role as Bunnaman, also LH.

And of course, if healthy, Laczynski plays ahead of Bunnaman.

The problem with Bunnaman is that his lack of confidence in his offensive skills has him playing very conservatively, which boosted his defensive metrics in 2019-20 (but not in 2020-21) at the expense of any scoring, in 39 games, 1-2 3 points, which is dreadful. He's also a possession black hole.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
It doesn't matter what Thompson was in the first 650ish games of his career. He's garbage now.

NHL teams reflexively recycling veterans regardless of quality does not prove veterans are inherently good or worthwhile. NHL teams choosing to do anything isn't valid proof of any statement. They routinely make obvious mistakes. This off-season is full of displays showing that

and casual fans over rate prospects constantly. The second their favourite makes it they say I told you so and start complaining about the next so called can’t miss prospect and why he isn’t getting a chance. When that prospect doesn’t make it and end up in Siberia they pretend they never talked up the kid.

id rather see Thompson recycled to play when needed and sit when not than have an under 25 yr old fill that role.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
and casual fans over rate prospects constantly. The second their favourite makes it they say I told you so and start complaining about the next so called can’t miss prospect and why he isn’t getting a chance. When that prospect doesn’t make it and end up in Siberia they pretend they never talked up the kid.

id rather see Thompson recycled to play when needed and sit when not than have an under 25 yr old fill that role.
extra forwards can play significant time. I'd rather have someone with upside rather than trash with only decline ahead of them

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Bunny's problem is who would he play over?

Not sure he's as good as Jackson Cates right now, who has two years of USHL and 3 years of college experience.
Cates is one of those "each level" guys, bad first USHL season, 1+ ppg his second, 68g 16-21 37 first two college seasons, 28g 11-16 27 his junior season.
He can skate, plays good defense, PK, so he fills the same role as Bunnaman, also LH.

And of course, if healthy, Laczynski plays ahead of Bunnaman.

The problem with Bunnaman is that his lack of confidence in his offensive skills has him playing very conservatively, which boosted his defensive metrics in 2019-20 (but not in 2020-21) at the expense of any scoring, in 39 games, 1-2 3 points, which is dreadful. He's also a possession black hole.

I don't anticipate lacynski having a good camp coming off an injury if he's even available.
Cates could come in like Allison or he could be sandin the smallest adjustment is from the ahl so I give advantage to guys who have already played there.
The primary competition is Thompson. Not unlike nak earlier bunny has to lock in a spot before higher rated guys are ready to overtake him and I think this is his best chance to do it. I think some confidence will come with being shown some and being given the opportunity to play regular minutes.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Assuming Frost and Laczynski start in the AHL, which I think is very likely since both are coming off significant surgeries, it will be interesting to see which Phantom wins the extra forward slot (otherwise, NAK would probably be #13).

I suppose Bunnaman has the inside track.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

That's whats nice about guys like Thompson. They arrived in the league with 400 games experience right out the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00