Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 103: Mason Millman, D, Saginaw (OHL)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Maybe I can help out, I'm cousins with Mason.

I'm biased, but you guys got a great player. Offensive defenseman, who is very smart and is not afraid to throw a big hit here and there. Many Scouts have said his best quality is his hockey IQ. He's just really smart out there.

He led the OHL preseason this year as a rookie in plus-minus with a plus nine. I think he finished third in OHL rookie defenseman scoring.

Saginaw is losing a few defenseman next year to overage, so Mason is expected to be one of the top D on the team.

I was texting with some buddy's this morning that my over under for him getting drafted was 104 since Florida owned the pick.

Everyone from the family is very excited and from what I know Philadelphia is great at developing prospects. Can't wait to see what the future holds!
yeah and I'm actually Giroux's brother ;)

You should be proud of your cuz dude, and I'm sure you are! Amazing accomplishment. Needless to say I'll be rooting for him from day one. Congrats to you and your family, go have a drink!

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

I'm biased, but you guys got a great player. Offensive defenseman, who is very smart and is not afraid to throw a big hit here and there. Many Scouts have said his best quality is his hockey IQ. He's just really smart out there.

He led the OHL preseason this year as a rookie in plus-minus with a plus nine. I think he finished third in OHL rookie defenseman scoring.

Saginaw is losing a few defenseman next year to overage, so Mason is expected to be one of the top D on the team.

I was texting with some buddy's this morning that my over under for him getting drafted was 104 since Florida owned the pick.

Everyone from the family is very excited and from what I know Philadelphia is great at developing prospects. Can't wait to see what the future holds!
Thanks for the info.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Any good prior picks?

He scouts the OHL primarily.

2019 - Millman
2018 - None
2017 - Frost, Ratcliffe, Strome, & Sushko
2016 - Bunnaman & Salinitri
2015 - Konecny

That’s all the players we’ve drafted out of the league since he’s been here. How much credit he should get for those I have no idea? As they cross scout & the Flyers have drafted well out of that league even before he got here.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
He scouts the OHL primarily.

2019 - Millman
2018 - None
2017 - Frost, Ratcliffe, Strome, & Sushko
2016 - Bunnaman & Salinitri
2015 - Konecny

That’s all the players we’ve drafted out of the league since he’s been here. How much credit he should get for those I have no idea? As they cross scout & the Flyers have drafted well out of that league even before he got here.

Thanks. That’s pretty strong. It appears we got NHL players in the first two rounds so any other hits would be great.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I just watched like 5 periods of Millman to get a feel. I'm impressed and see real NHL potential. I actually enjoyed watching him. Wouldn't say so if I didn't think it.

It's always nice to latch onto ONE thing about a prospect that you think is legit plus in the mid-late rounds. Millman is a terrific skater in pretty much every sense; first step, footwork, top speed. So smooth. But just as important, he's always skating. He practically is never stationary; in constant motion. Whether it's attacking someone in the NZ as the help side, or racing into the rush as a trailer (does this quite a lot), or moving around in the cycle to present a lane or generate speed.

Seemed to get his shot through. He's not standout skilled, but I can see where the offense could come from in the next couple years in junior with more ice time and growth. Nothing crazy as a puck mover -- more proficient -- but he flashes, and again, he's adept at creating a passing lane by skating on first touch.

He defends with his legs too in his own end. It's not easy to create space when he's covering a player because he attacks instantly. He's not the biggest in weight, but he's pretty solid fundamentally in his own end; good with his stick and in coverage and not shy trying to use his body. The latter will come more, I suspect.

For a first year OHLer with a July birthday, he's quite polished, at least off-puck. Very smart and instinctual and aggressive. If you want to compare Millman to a similarly profiled Wylie, albeit Millman being significantly younger and less experienced for his draft, I much prefer Millman. He pops more. Early viewings say I'll rank him higher than most.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
My initials are MM, therefore Millman is officially My Boy™

upload_2019-6-22_23-42-36.jpeg

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Thanks for sharing, I’ll watch him vs my Bulldogs this year!

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I just watched like 5 periods of Millman to get a feel. I'm impressed and see real NHL potential. I actually enjoyed watching him. Wouldn't say so if I didn't think it.

It's always nice to latch onto ONE thing about a prospect that you think is legit plus in the mid-late rounds. Millman is a terrific skater in pretty much every sense; first step, footwork, top speed. So smooth. But just as important, he's always skating. He practically is never stationary; in constant motion. Whether it's attacking someone in the NZ as the help side, or racing into the rush as a trailer (does this quite a lot), or moving around in the cycle to present a lane or generate speed.

Seemed to get his shot through. He's not standout skilled, but I can see where the offense could come from in the next couple years in junior with more ice time and growth. Nothing crazy as a puck mover -- more proficient -- but he flashes, and again, he's adept at creating a passing lane by skating on first touch.

He defends with his legs too in his own end. It's not easy to create space when he's covering a player because he attacks instantly. He's not the biggest in weight, but he's pretty solid fundamentally in his own end; good with his stick and in coverage and not shy trying to use his body. The latter will come more, I suspect.

For a first year OHLer with a July birthday, he's quite polished, at least off-puck. Very smart and instinctual and aggressive. If you want to compare Millman to a similarly profiled Wylie, albeit Millman being significantly younger and less experienced for his draft, I much prefer Millman. He pops more. Early viewings say I'll rank him higher than most.
Agree with all of this.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
My initials are MM, therefore Millman is officially My Boy™

As if this was ever in doubt, I posted this moments following the Millman pick

A few years ago in like...NHL 16? I groomed a defenseman named Jesse Mills to a 99 overall for 8 straight years. He was a late bloomer, and I believed in him. He was stagnant after juniors for a few years, then jumped from 74 to 84 after his age 24 season (still hadn't sniffed the NHL), and I kept him in the AHL to start the next season. He was 25 and by the new year he was an 88. I called him up, and by the end of that season he was a 94. Starting the next season, his age 26 season, he was a 99. Stayed that way until he was 35. Traded him away when he was 38. Probably the oldest, longest tenured player I've ever held onto in any sports game. Typically I deal guys away at around 32-33 when they're due for (another) big raise.

Jesse Mills
Mason Millman

Mills
Millman

It's in the cards

I believed before anyone else did. Millman is My Boy™. Just offering some clarification

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad