Post-Game Talk: Round 3, Game 2: Can the Rangers break the streak?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruBlue

May 3, 2014
All sizzle no steak. He turns it on for 5 mins a game, usually the last 5 he plays. It's an attempt to give people something to focus on other than his turnovers and poor defensive play. Sometimes he scores a goal and they contemplate building him a statue.

It's a shame the Rangers aren't getting any respect, it probably bothers me more than the players because I am sure they don't subject themselves to things like Canadian media and HF boards.

I am far from cocky, but if the way the Habs planned on containing Kreider was to put their top unit out against them and he makes them look bad I am fairly confident they don't have an answer. At this point I feel like the Rangers will have to beat themselves for Montreal to have a chance. Hank is lucky? GTFO I am sure he will be in a zone come Thursday, thanks PK.

So because he hasn't converted against Hank he's all "sizzle", he's skated through our D a number of times like a freakin red hot knife through soft butter...he had at last one coast to coast rush in Game 2...

The guy is a talent and demeaning his efforts doesn't diminish what he is

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
So because he hasn't converted against Hank he's all "sizzle", he's skated through our D a number of times like a freakin red hot knife through soft butter...he had at last one coast to coast rush in Game 2...

The guy is a talent and demeaning his efforts doesn't diminish what he is

Yes and puffing up an ineffective rush doesn't make him the next Orr. But yes not converting is sizzle without any substance. If a Ranger was getting those opportunities a number of people here would be crapping on them for not cashing in, yet an opposing player does it and he's the greatest to ever play the game.

Subban is a good player, never said he wasn't. He hasn't made any sort of impact on this series no matter how pretty his skating has been. I'd rather have a guy like McDonagh who can score and defend.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Subban's a great player, the Rangers are doing a good job of neutralizing him to a certain extent they have significantly more speed than Boston. That said, he isn't the reason they're down, he and Weaver look like the only 2 defensemen on that team, who are capable of playing at a high level.

It's a team game, no defensemen can skate through 5 guys constantly in this day and age, what are you expecting of him?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I like how the Rangers keep things on the down low. You barely see them at NHL.com. No idiotic responses to idiotic statements. No chest pounding. No controversy.

Nothing. Perfect.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
We absolutely have to win Game 3.

Who is "we"? The Habs? Yes, game 3 is just about do-or-die for them.

Game 3 is not a "must win" for the Rangers. Not at all. That's the luxury they have of being up 2-0. I'm not at all saying that the Rangers shouldn't play this as if it's a must-win. Just saying that if they lose game 3, they are still in fine shape.

The pressure on the Habs to win tomorrow is enormous. It's all on them to show if they have what it takes to take a pounding in their own house and push back, or wither and die. I hope the Rangers take it to them and bring the Habs to the edge of elimination. It's OUR time....! :)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Every game is a new game now. It's important that the Rangers don't let Montreal get off to such a fast start this time. We have the line match ups. We have the crowd. They have the rookie goalie. We should be able to dictate more in our own rink.

And there's no point in letting a team hang around--they'll start getting the idea that they can win. Best to keep them frustrated. I'd look to put Stepan's line against the Emelin and Markov pairing as much as possible. Who knows--maybe Therrien would be forced to split up his pairs. Stay out of the box and stay disciplined. Defend well. Do those things the next two games and we should be in the finals.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
I think if Tokarski played horrible and gave up multiple bad goals than yes, but I think especially under the circumstances that he held his own. No clue how the rest of the series will shape up, but I don't think he played all that bad on Sunday. Not to mention Budaj certainly didn't look great in the third period of game 1 when he gave up 3 goals on 8 shots.

He was shakey. If the Rangers had put more pressure on him, the game would have been a blow-out, IMO. The Habs did all they could to keep the puck away from the Rangers, to their credit. And once we built the lead, we changed into defense-first mode and backed off the gas pedal. But down 1-0, at home, ECF, you don't hand the reigns over to an AHL goalie that hasn't played in a month. You give your NHL goalie the opportunity. He's part of the reason they are where they are. IMO, MT blew up whatever confidence Budaj had in himself. Now he's thinking he's not a better option than a rusty AHL goalie. Terrible coaching, terrible GM'ing. If the Habs go out in this round, and I certainly hope they do, I think heads will roll in Montreal.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

Game 3 is not a "must win" for the Rangers. Not at all. That's the luxury they have of being up 2-0. I'm not at all saying that the Rangers shouldn't play this as if it's a must-win. Just saying that if they lose game 3, they are still in fine shape.

The pressure on the Habs to win tomorrow is enormous. It's all on them to show if they have what it takes to take a pounding in their own house and push back, or wither and die. I hope the Rangers take it to them and bring the Habs to the edge of elimination. It's OUR time....! :)

You know who 'we' is. This is the Rangers board.

There is no luxury being up 2-0. If the players took that mentality over the one I proposed, you're setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

We absolutely have to win game 3. Going up 3-0 puts your foot on the throat of the opponent.

Going 2-1 in a series changes everything.

It's all about momentum in a series, if you hand momentum over to a team that can be the thing they exploit that ultimately kills you.

Nothing is even close to being over yet. Everyone needs to remain cautious here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

It's definitely not a must win in most respects. However, if there ever was a time a team can be stomped it's now. The Rangers can really go for the throat here and in that respect it's a must win. Why give a down and out team, life?

Edit: strict definition not a must win.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He was shakey. If the Rangers had put more pressure on him, the game would have been a blow-out, IMO. The Habs did all they could to keep the puck away from the Rangers, to their credit. And once we built the lead, we changed into defense-first mode and backed off the gas pedal. But down 1-0, at home, ECF, you don't hand the reigns over to an AHL goalie that hasn't played in a month. You give your NHL goalie the opportunity. He's part of the reason they are where they are. IMO, MT blew up whatever confidence Budaj had in himself. Now he's thinking he's not a better option than a rusty AHL goalie. Terrible coaching, terrible GM'ing. If the Habs go out in this round, and I certainly hope they do, I think heads will roll in Montreal.

Therrien from all accounts just signed a lucrative extension. They just beat their hated rivals, the President's Trophy winner in the 2nd round. The only thing rolling in Montreal's impending offseason will be golfballs.

I don't like starting the #3 but the logic they used was fairly sound. Although, I do agree you can't go to Budaj any longer.

WVULax22

Apr 8, 2014
Plenty of teams in this year's playoffs have won the first two games and then lost the next two at home. Rangers can't let that happen. Stay strong and protect your own house. Don't give them anything to grasp to. Kill this series in 4, one game at a time.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I would disagree.

While I concede the general point of the comment, I think that if the Rangers do not want the complexion of the series to change drastically, they HAVE to win tomorrow night.

The last thing the Habs need is any sort of confidence. Winning game one on the road for them, gives them a major boost of confidence.

Game 3 is more of a must win for the Rangers than game 2 was for Montreal.

IMHO

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Plenty of teams in this year's playoffs have won the first two games and then lost the next two at home. Rangers can't let that happen. Stay strong and protect your own house. Don't give them anything to grasp to. Kill this series in 4, one game at a time.

Well it's happened twice.. But I agree they can't let the Habs back into it.

NYR510

Apr 7, 2009
I like how the Rangers keep things on the down low. You barely see them at NHL.com. No idiotic responses to idiotic statements. No chest pounding. No controversy.

Nothing. Perfect.

I agree 100%.

I think that's a reflection on AV. His personality matches the team pretty well, I'd say. And then you've got the veteran guys/leaders that we do and what you get is a very good locker room environment (media interactions included).

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
There's no excuse for the rangers to lose either one of these next two games. AV controls all the matchups, so barring a poor performance from the team, there's no reason why we should lose.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I agree 100%.

I think that's a reflection on AV. His personality matches the team pretty well, I'd say. And then you've got the veteran guys that we do and what you get is a very good locker room environment (media interactions included).

Torts barred players from tweeting, then proceeded to embarrass the organization and himself every time he talked to the media.

AV is truly a breath of fresh air. He took to heart some hard lessons learned in VAN, and we're reaping the rewards.

ak10r

Dec 30, 2006
Fairbanks Alaska
Any chance that Price will surprise all and be back for game 3? I guess I was wondering if there are any inside rumors…..

It would be great to have him and Brass back for game 3……….

NYR510

Apr 7, 2009
Any chance that Price will surprise all and be back for game 3? I guess I was wondering if there are any inside rumors…..

I don't think either of them will be back. Certainly not Price.

If Brassard is 50/50 then they probably won't play him. We've got a 2 game lead and we played just fine last game. If his injury truly is a DTD kind of thing, it makes the most sense to give him the time while we can afford to.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

Price has been ruled out for the entire series. He isn't coming back.

Brassard will be playing in Game 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad