Prospect Info: Round 3, 87th overall: Egor Zavragin, G, Mamonty Yugry (MHL)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If Appleyard is on board, Im for it.

Him and Clara were really the two goalies who I personally would have looked at closest if I were GM...

though I would not have spent a 2nd on Clara... thought he might fall to 4th! Zavragin I imagined would go in 3rd or so, but tbh would not have picked at the time even though I liked his game as I think better fwd and d were there.

That being said I think with a 3rd rounder Zavragin is a solid-good value pick.

Buuut in an ideal world I would not have drafted a goalie until the 4th. But there was a crazy run on them and not many of the best ones were there after Zavragin. Tbh the clear top 7 goalies in a good draft for goalies... Zavragin was the last one left. (I think Bjarnason and Zavragin are both top 4-5 goalies in this draft)

And the only 1st time eligible goalies drafted later who I think have a "solid" chance of being NHLers one day are Volokhin and Khazheyev. (some of the overagers have for sure back-up potential but yeh.)

Fell weirdly for goalies. Usually I would be a "unless there is a guy who is clearly a potential starter like Hart" dont draft a goalie until the 4th.

But there was a crazy run and 7 went by pick 90... and 26 were drafted overall! Post-lockout only 2018 has had more goalies picked.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
Load up on skilled Dmen and Centers next year. BPA of course but if multiple in a tier just take the D or C please... C's can play wing.

How many Goalies can a team realistically keep? Feel like one of the two from this year will hit since they're both solid, then we have Ersson Kolosov Hart and even Fedotov. Who will be here in 3 years?

This kid if he hits will probably be #3/4 when our window starts to open. 5 years to build a team before it starts to get harder. gotta pay gauthier and michkov, gotta pay 2024 R1, gotta deal with couturier's salary, need to overpay a free agent #1 Dman potentially.

I understand the double goalie pick. Gotta keep the shelves stocked.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

While the teams are in the same city, also the road trips should be considered and the VHL team was on one recently, therefore they needed to take 3 goalies and couldn't sent him back for the game practice. It still doesn't make things better, as Yugra has two experienced goalies on the roster and have no reason to go with Zavragin unless some injuries happen.

Reactions: tnfrs

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
While the teams are in the same city, also the road trips should be considered and the VHL team was on one recently, therefore they needed to take 3 goalies and couldn't sent him back for the game practice. It still doesn't make things better, as Yugra has two experienced goalies on the roster and have no reason to go with Zavragin unless some injuries happen.
Yeh, but like... why not play him today, both teams at home now!

Unless he is slated to start in the VHL tomorrow, which seems unlikely.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

He was the backup last game, so possibly one of these two goalies is injured now and they will need him with the VHL team. But yes, should be more clear tomorrow, as also the MHL team will play at home.

Reactions: Appleyard

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

this is junior hockey, no matter what country it is pretty much all the same. Give it a month to see how things shake out.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
He is doing a lot better than the other goalie they drafted in the 2nd. Why did they give up draft capital to move up in the 2nd to draft him? Serious question because I can't see it in the stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad