Prospect Info: Round 3, 78th Overall: Koehn Ziemmer, F, Prince George Cougars (WHL)

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Anyone who follows prospects or follows the W have an update on how this season went?

He is our one prospect with balls , so I am hoping that he took a jump
He started well then picked up a significant injury (I forget what). He did come back but it took some time for him get going again. I have not seen any reports on how he played at the end of the season.

Reactions: Lt Dan

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Anyone who follows prospects or follows the W have an update on how this season went?

He went down with a major ankle injury in December. Out for the season with surgery. Seemed to be having a very good season before he sustained the injury.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

As others mentioned, he had an injury in late November, which was especially unfortunate as he was a solid candidate for Team Canada's WJC team. He fell down awkwardly during a fight and hurt his ankle.

He came back right before the playoffs, and the Cougars lost in the Conference Finals. While he was out, he was replaced by Terik Parascak (2024 NHL Draft eligible; shameless plug, but Hoven published my preview article about him today: 2024 NHL Draft Preview: Forward Terik Parascak, Canada).

Upon returning, he spent more time on the third line, so his numbers went down a bit.

Cougars have some older players graduating, so I would expect him to get back on the top-six next season.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
As others mentioned, he had an injury in late November, which was especially unfortunate as he was a solid candidate for Team Canada's WJC team. He fell down awkwardly during a fight and hurt his ankle.

He came back right before the playoffs, and the Cougars lost in the Conference Finals. While he was out, he was replaced by Terik Parascak (2024 NHL Draft eligible; shameless plug, but Hoven published my preview article about him today: 2024 NHL Draft Preview: Forward Terik Parascak, Canada).

Upon returning, he spent more time on the third line, so his numbers went down a bit.

Cougars have some older players graduating, so I would expect him to get back on the top-six next season.
He is one of the older players graduating unless he goes back next year as an OA.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He is one of the older players graduating unless he goes back next year as an OA.

He's not old enough, nor has he played 4 full seasons, which would allow him to go to the AHL at the start of the season.

The general point is we should expect him to go back to the WHL. Cougars could bench or trade him, sure. But with how well he and Heidt played together in their draft year, as well as this season before injury, it's a safe bet he'll be on the Cougars roster after next season's training camp.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He's not old enough, nor has he played 4 full seasons, which would allow him to go to the AHL at the start of the season.

The general point is we should expect him to go back to the WHL. Cougars could bench or trade him, sure. But with how well he and Heidt played together in their draft year, as well as this season before injury, it's a safe bet he'll be on the Cougars roster after next season's training camp.
He's an 04 and as such is eligible for the AHL next year. LA can decide whether to send him to Ontario or back to PG.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He's an 04 and as such is eligible for the AHL next year. LA can decide whether to send him to Ontario or back to PG.

My mistake - I thought since he was 19 at the start of the season, he was still considered 19. I always get that stipulation that it's based on the age by Dec 31 at midnight.

Thank you for the correction.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oh he's AHL eligible you say, with the option of PG?

1715404106621.jpeg

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Oh he's AHL eligible you say, with the option of PG?

View attachment 868779
😆

The damn rules always get me. For the draft, their eligibility is they must turn 18 by September 15 (which is why Byfield was one of the younger players of his draft class).

But for the WJC (and the CHL), it's dependent on Dec 31.

Anyway, I understand while there's a justifiable meme in putting everyone in the AHL, Ziemmer can play a range of roles, which is why I'm so high on him. If the want him in the AHL right away, he has a high enough floor where he can grow as a checking forward. Still needs to work on his acceleration and top end speed.

As hellbent as Blake has seemed with putting guys in the AHL, I honestly think the injury and not coming back completely up to speed has the org planning to send him back to the WHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad