Round 2, Vote 2 (2009 update)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Anybody knows when the results will be announced? I'm really eager for the next round, who might just be the most interesting round of the whole project if it ends up featuring the guys I expect. The two guys I expect, actually.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Anybody knows when the results will be announced? I'm really eager for the next round, who might just be the most interesting round of the whole project if it ends up featuring the guys I expect. The two guys I expect, actually.

Are these two guys who happened to play very early on?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Roy was definitely better than "decent." He had one bad game, but his play in the other games in the finals is a huge reason he deservedly won the Smyth.

Maybe I'm guilty of some mis-remembering. I don't recall thinking Roy was stonewalling the Devils at the time, but it has been nearly a decade (I can't believe it's actually been that long!) since I watched those games.

While Roy was indeed at fault on that particular goal, it's difficult to blame him for the loss considering that his team was outshot 35-12.

Fair enough then, the gaffe was what stood out in my mind, I don't really remember a great deal about the rest of the game.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
I've been a long time lurker on the HoH board and want to give props to everyone involved in this project. It has given me insight on a lot of players, although I wouldn't feel knowledgable enough to discuss a lot of the older ones.

I read mostly every post in this thread, but I did skip a few so forgive me if it's already been brought up but I'd like to say the following regarding the Lidstrom-Potvin debate:

Let's suppose I'm a fairly good hockey player that can be depended upon for contributing offensively to my team. I would certainly not shy away from going on Lidstrom's side. He will most definitely beat me, but I would keep coming and maybe at one point he would make that mistake that could give a scoring opportunity to my team. If I'm going on Potvin's side, I might not shy away at first, but once he nailed me hard I might play nervous around him. I might be the one prone to mistake and robbing my team of a scoring opportunity, because of the intimidation factor Potvin brings with him.

Obviously I'm not a fairly good hockey player, I'm an utterly terribad hockey player. Professional players might be more fearless than I'm ready to give them credit for. But it always seemed to me that some players where suddenly more "careful" when going on Scott Stevens's side for example.

I think it's fair to say that Lidstrom has accomplished more. He has the hardware, awesome longevity and durability all the while being an all-time great. But if we're talking about this big game where everything is on the line, I would take Potvin every single time. He just bring more to the team imo.

We can't quantify the intimidation factor, but I'm pretty sure it's counting for something on a team's "morale". Is it significant enough to get Potvin above Lidstrom, I would think that yes because they are very very close as far as I'm concerned. I'm sorry if this was already brought up, but in any case cheers to everyone on this project.

Potvin's physical dominance (something Lidstrom does not have) was brought up. I specifically mentioned how it was a big factor in keeping Potvin ahead of Lidstrom for the last couple of years on my list. But Nick's sustained level of Norris caliber play has finally tipped the scales for me, (and for a few others, I've noticed).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Maybe I'm guilty of some mis-remembering. I don't recall thinking Roy was stonewalling the Devils at the time, but it has been nearly a decade (I can't believe it's actually been that long!) since I watched those games.

Fair enough then, the gaffe was what stood out in my mind, I don't really remember a great deal about the rest of the game.

Honestly, I don't remember the series as well as I could have.. I was in college and there was lots to be angry about (as a Devils' fan) and lots of Canadian beer (it was hockey after all...)

But I do remember Roy, Sakic, and to as lesser extent Tanguay, really standing out for the Avs.

And I think this says a lot more than my memory ever could - from what I've seen, most Devils fans who remember 2001 believe Roy is the best goalie of all time. (The young ones of course all buy into the Brodeur hype). In other words, Roy's performance in 2001 made such an impression on the collective mindset of the fanbase in a way that no other opponent has done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad